• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice - CC Permit Denied - Needed proof of competency

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I am very skeptical of this "online training" that has been talked about recently. If I'm understanding this correctly, you just let the video run and then print your own certificate. Who's to say that you actually watched the video? I'm sure some folks will turn the video on, let it run while they're in the shower and then come back to print their cert.

Is there a test at the end to make sure that you retained anything? What if you actually get into a shooting situation and some smart lawyer finds out that you got your CHP by watching a video?

If it was me, I'd spend the few extra bucks and take a real course.

Flintlock

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I have a friend that submitted his application to Fairfax County and used a hunter safety course for his competency but he was denied as the safety course was not approved!

He received a letter indicating he has 14 days to provide proof of competency to use this original application.

He lives in Annandale and needs to attend a CC class as soon as possible so that he does not have to spend money on another application and wait 45 more days!

Does anyone know of anyplace holding classes?
Very strange. When I lived in Fairfax CountyVirginia, I used a hunter saftey course certificationto renew my permit as I had lost my originalCC course paperwork. Mine went through without a hickup... Tookless than30 days.

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

From the original post it sounds like the problem is not that it was a hunnter safty course or how long ago but the fact that the course was not reviews by the authorities and known to be good course. I would assume there is someway of making sure the certificate is not from some guy on ebay (send me $20 and I mail you a certificate).

savery

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Is there a test at the end to make sure that you retained anything?
Supposedly there's a twenty question test. But how can you prove who actually took the test?

How can you prove that a person that went to an in person course didn't sleep/daydream/do crossword puzzles through the whole thing?

Shovelhead

imported post

From the Virginia State Police site:
Application for a Concealed Handgun Permit

Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he or she resides, or if he is a member of the United States armed forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. There is no requirement as to the length of time an applicant for a Concealed Handgun Permit must have been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city where he or she resides.

The application may be obtained from the circuit court, sheriff’s office, or police department. The form (SP-248 Application for Concealed Handgun Permit) also may be downloaded and/or printed from this web site. This form can be viewed, downloaded and/or printed by visiting the Virginia State Police Forms page.

The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
  2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    [*]Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
    [*]Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    [*]Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
    [*]Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
    [*]Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
    [*]Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
    [*]Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

have him print the rules and show the clerk in the office.

I had a clerk in Arlington County tell me I had to get fingerprinted again for a renewal.

When I told her "Not according to the Virginia State Police.", she put me on hold for a couple of minutes, then came back and said I was right.

43 days later....I'm good for another 5 years.
:celebrate

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shovelhead wrote:
have him print the rules and show the clerk in the office.

That might be good advice, but we don't know for certain based on the information presented that the hunter education course the person took meets the requirements of:
Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state

Until we have more information, we can't say FOR CERTAIN the the clerk's office is wrong.

LEO 229

imported post

He never served.

He confirmed that he took a hunter safety class in PA when he was 14 and that was a long time ago. The card was dated too.

I am guessing that since it was from out-of-state.... they did not like it.

He is going to do the online training and submit that so I will advise if Fairfax takes it or not.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
He never served.

He confirmed that he took a hunter safety class in PA when he was 14 and that was a long time ago. The card was dated too.

I am guessing that since it was from out-of-state.... they did not like it.

He is going to do the online training and submit that so I will advise if Fairfax takes it or not.
IF the course was approved by PA's equivalent of VA's DGIF, FFX Co is REQUIRED by law to accept it. No point in wasting money if he doesn't have to, and letting FFX Co off the hook IF they're not following the law is the wrong thing to do...

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I have never really had a problem showing proficiency certifications that were acceptable to the court, but they did tell me at one point they would not accept expired instructors certifications (Prince William). This seemed strange because any of my former students could use their certificates from classes I taught forever as they did not include any expiration date.

Perhaps LEO's friend has an expired instructors certification.

Just a thought.

Regards
Hawk, now that is goofy! Your students are certified forever, yet you are not.

THis whole thing sounds extra-legal to me. WRT the online courses, we had online safety courses (http://www.PureSafety.com) for mandatory OSHA training/compliance at my old job. The courses were perfectly legal, stopped every couple minutes toask you a question about something you just learned and you couldn't continue unless you were sitting there and answered correctly. At the end there was a test and your scores were recorded in the database for submission as it's a fed requirement.Online training of any kind has changed a lot in recent years and can be really quite good.

LEO 229

imported post

Mike wrote:
This denial needs to be appealed if a PA agency similar to DGIF approved the tng course.
He makes too much money and his time is so valuable that he will not take time off from work to do it.

For him..... it is cheaper to pay $40.00 for a class.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Mike wrote:
This denial needs to be appealed if a PA agency similar to DGIF approved the tng course.
He makes too much money and his time is so valuable that he will not take time off from work to do it.

For him..... it is cheaper to pay $40.00 for a class.

hey Leo.. just teach him what YOU know.. that would fall under requirement #9 from the VA State Police web page.

"Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate. "

I, LEO229, do hereby affirm that I gave basic firearm training to LEOS229 FRIEND and found him compitent to handle and safely operate a firearm in accordance to the laws of the commonwealth of Virginia.

Love,

LEO 229

(notary seal)

:celebrate

LEO 229

imported post

#9 "Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate. "

I am not sure the court would deem me adequate to butter toast.. :D

vtme_grad98

imported post

If he'd like an excuse to come visit the beach for the weekend, we always have room for students in the 3pm Saturday CHP class at Superior Pawn here in Virginia Beach. It's not the ideal solution. But he'd have a certificate in his hand before 6pm Saturday.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
"the court"
...is usually some elderly lady nice as can be with a big rubber stamp.. as long as she gets three pieces of paper (application, fingerprints and some sort of training document (that has a current date on it) my guess is "the court" would stamp "APPROVED" on it.

Chaingun81

imported post

Is the fingerprint requirement mandatory in FFX co for everyone for the first time applicants? I got my permit last summer from the FFX Co court and never submitted any fingerprints...

hsmith

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
Is the fingerprint requirement mandatory in FFX co for everyone for the first time applicants? I got my permit last summer from the FFX Co court and never submitted any fingerprints...
I didn't have to

Olivers_AR

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:

Haven't heard of it being a requirement for FFX and people I know got them without fingerprints. :cool: Its not listed on the webpage for getting a permit from FFX.