• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice - CC Permit Denied - Needed proof of competency

LEO 229

imported post

I have a friend that submitted his application to Fairfax County and used a hunter safety course for his competency but he was denied as the safety course was not approved!

He received a letter indicating he has 14 days to provide proof of competency to use this original application.

He lives in Annandale and needs to attend a CC class as soon as possible so that he does not have to spend money on another application and wait 45 more days!

Does anyone know of anyplace holding classes?

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

No idea since I'm not in Fairfax Co, so I can't help with the class, but was it a Virginia DGIF Hunter Safety Course? Don't they have to take those?

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From the NRA website, listed as a basic pistol course:

• [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
  • [size="+0"]Fairfax[/size] - Saturday, May 10, 2008, Comfort Inn, $145
    Chip Lohman, 703-371-4234. , support@safepistol.com
    Class types: Basic Pistol

Course Notes:
    Price includes student gun rental and ammunition, indoor range fee, professional classroom, film, laser practice and all class materials.[/font][/font]

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's hard to believe that anyone would have taken a hunter safety course that didn't meet the requirements:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

If your friend believes his course meets that requirement, he may just need to push back a little...

LEO 229

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
From the NRA website, listed as a basic pistol course:

• [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
  • [size="+0"]Fairfax[/font] - Saturday, May 10, 2008, Comfort Inn, $145
    Chip Lohman, 703-371-4234. , support@safepistol.com
    Class types: Basic Pistol

Course Notes:
    Price includes student gun rental and ammunition, indoor range fee, professional classroom, film, laser practice and all class materials.[/font]
OK.. this sounds good.

I suspect it is this location:

Comfort Inn University Center
11180 Fairfax Blvd , Fairfax, VA, US, 22030 | Phone: (703) 591-5900

His hunter safety class was from a long time ago so I guess it did not fit the criteria for approval.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

His hunter safety class was from a long time ago so I guess it did not fit the criteria for approval.
Either that or FFX county is applying some extra-legal requirements. Proof of competency does not expire...

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Clark Brothers in Opal, VA (Near Warrenton) does one every Saturday. The cost is &60, and it's a two or three hour course starting at 8 AM. You need to call ahead and sign up in advance.

http://www.clarkbrosguns.com/contact.html

This is the course that I took a little over two years ago. The instructor was very good, and I was out of there before lunch time.

Edit: For this course, you have to bring your own gun, and buy one box of ammo there.

LEO 229

imported post

dixiehacker wrote:
Clark Brothers in Opal, VA (Near Warrenton) does one every Saturday. The cost is &60, and it's a two or three hour course starting at 8 AM. You need to call ahead and sign up in advance.

This is the course that I took a little over two years ago. The instructor was very good, and I was out of there before lunch time.

Edit: For this course, you have to bring your own gun, and buy one box of ammo there.
Great!! I have passed it along to him!!

ccunning

imported post

dixiehacker wrote:
Clark Brothers in Opal, VA (Near Warrenton) does one every Saturday.  The cost is &60, and it's a two or three hour course starting at 8 AM.  You need to call ahead and sign up in advance.

This is the course that I took a little over two years ago.  The instructor was very good, and I was out of there before lunch time.

Edit:  For this course, you have to bring  your own gun, and buy one box of ammo there.

This is where I took my class, but I had to sign up a month or so in advance so he may not get in within the 14 day limit. It could be they were just busy at the time. It's certainly worth checking out.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

My buddy did it after calling Suffolk and making sure through the clerk of the court that the judge would take it. I was dubious, but apparently they have no problem with it in Suffolk (who has a pretty strict judge...have to fingerprint, won't take a hunting license, etc).

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ccunning wrote:
dixiehacker wrote:

This is where I took my class, but I had to sign up a month or so in advance so he may not get in within the 14 day limit. It could be they were just busy at the time. It's certainly worth checking out.
When I did mine, which was in January of 06, I put myself on the list two days before hand. That was a while ago, though.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I have a friend that submitted his application to Fairfax County and used a hunter safety course for his competency but he was denied as the safety course was not approved!

He received a letter indicating he has 14 days to provide proof of competency to use this original application.
Whooaaa nelly. Why exactly was the proof denied? I think instead of speindg coin he immediatly apply for a an ore tenus hearing - I will soon have a copy of the Va. Ct. of App. decision overturning Judge Freeman on denying competency poroof due to age - he should bring that the ore tenus hearing and ask the denial to be overturned.

Going off to another course let's this FFX judge off the hook! Please don't do it.

DangerousDave

imported post

That's very odd. Arlington accepted my hunter safety training and it was from another state and 10 to 15 years earlier. I'm not sure what Fairfax's issue is.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have never really had a problem showing proficiency certifications that were acceptable to the court, but they did tell me at one point they would not accept expired instructors certifications (Prince William). This seemed strange because any of my former students could use their certificates from classes I taught forever as they did not include any expiration date.

Perhaps LEO's friend has an expired instructors certification.

Just a thought.

Regards