• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC - Another campus robbery

Weak 9mm

imported post

Code:
Early Saturday morning, May 3rd, at approximately 5:00 am, two students
reported being robbed while sitting in their car in front of Bragaw
Residence Hall. The two suspects came up to the car and demanded money;
one had a small silver handgun. The two suspects were last seen running
towards Student Health Services and possibly were driving a small-sized
pick-up truck. There were no injuries.

Suspect 1: male, dark complexion, black hoodie and long dark shorts,
5'10" to 6 feet tall, skinny, approx. 16-17 years old

Suspect 2: male, dark complexion, grey hoodie and long shorts, 5'6' to
5'8" tall, skinny, approx. 16-17 years old(held handgun)

You would think they might realize at this point that the only people who 
are prevented from bringing guns onto campus by these laws are the people
who ACTUALLY OBEY THE LAW?! These kids were not even able to legally own guns, 
nor were they able to legally take them on campus, nor were they able to 
legally use them to commit a felony. Plus, now that they've committed said felony,
they can't legally own the guns even if everything else they'd done had been
legal! It's absolutely sickening, and I say to someone almost daily that campus is extremely
dangerous and it's honestly the one place I go where I actually feel the need to 
be armed. I know they say if you actually think you need a gun, don't go. Well, I
think I need a gun, I'm not allowed to have one, and if I plan on having a decent
job, well then I have to go.  

CS/OC spray and two very small knives are my only armament against these types of
attacks on campus, which occur so regularly it's disgusting. 

I'm not sure what happened to the font. Something went wrong during the copy and paste. 
Sorry about that. 

Also, while there was no self defense that I can see, I posted it here because of the general 
lack of ability for a law abiding citizen to utilize self defense in these situations. 
Those individuals are lucky they were not killed.

protector84

imported post

I believe that self-defense is a *human* right which means that it is protected by the natural laws of the universe. Therefore, it has always been my opinion that any law that tells you that you cannot defend yourself should not be followed. I do believe that people should stand up for what is right and not just what someone else says is supposed to be right. If that means breaking the law, so be it. If one of those 33 students at Virginia Tech had broken the law and brought a concealed handgun with them to class that day, there would have been much fewer than 33 lives lost. I'd be willing to bet that after the shooting many students from across the country who currently owned firearms started secretly packing them to school even if it was illegal. The fact is that your life is more important than the law. Unless the government is willing to appoint a bodyguard to protect me 24/7 free of charge, I have the inalienable rights to carry whatever the hell I feel is necessary for my own protection.

So you have to figure out what is best for you. I am not outright advocating anyone to break laws but I do believe that people should make the choices that are best for them and everyone else. I believe that guns improve safety. Almost every time an unarmed "good guy" has a run-in with an armed "bad guy" it is the good guy that is hurt or killed. On the other hand, when both the good and bad guys are armed, it is usually the bad guy that gets hurt or killed.

These universities tell students not to walk alone at night or to blow a whistle if they are attacked. The media routinely reports unarmed people becoming victims of armed attackers. I believe that it is a conspiracy in a sense to create a culture of fear and an agenda to get people to give up their independence to think and act like sovereign individuals and instead gradually require more government intervention in their everyday lives. The biggest of those myths is that any individual should not be concerned about protecting themselves from attackers because that is the government's job. Yet the government advocates restrictions on travel and habits for individual safety such as not going out at night, not carrying too much cash, traveling in groups, not wearing too sexy attire (women), and avoiding certain areas. That is not the hallmark of a free country.

As more people depend on the government for personal safety and start restricting their own habits, there will be less safety and also less freedom. I get tired of hearing from people, "I shouldn't have to be afraid to go out at night" and similar such statements. No one is there to protect you except yourself so take personal responsibility. Adding more police does not improve safety. If you want to improve safety, you give every man, woman, and child a gun and teach them how to use it. Then you have everyone carry pistols in the nice to normal neighborhoods and everyone in the not-so-nice neighborhoods would be carrying long guns. Then crime would go down. Likewise, if you want to avoid another plane being hijacked, you start allowing citizens to bring guns on airplanes. Enough said.

imperialism2024

imported post

protector84 wrote:
I believe that self-defense is a *human* right which means that it is protected by the natural laws of the universe. Therefore, it has always been my opinion that any law that tells you that you cannot defend yourself should not be followed. I do believe that people should stand up for what is right and not just what someone else says is supposed to be right. If that means breaking the law, so be it. If one of those 33 students at Virginia Tech had broken the law and brought a concealed handgun with them to class that day, there would have been much fewer than 33 lives lost. I'd be willing to bet that after the shooting many students from across the country who currently owned firearms started secretly packing them to school even if it was illegal. The fact is that your life is more important than the law. Unless the government is willing to appoint a bodyguard to protect me 24/7 free of charge, I have the inalienable rights to carry whatever the hell I feel is necessary for my own protection.

So you have to figure out what is best for you. I am not outright advocating anyone to break laws but I do believe that people should make the choices that are best for them and everyone else. I believe that guns improve safety. Almost every time an unarmed "good guy" has a run-in with an armed "bad guy" it is the good guy that is hurt or killed. On the other hand, when both the good and bad guys are armed, it is usually the bad guy that gets hurt or killed.

These universities tell students not to walk alone at night or to blow a whistle if they are attacked. The media routinely reports unarmed people becoming victims of armed attackers. I believe that it is a conspiracy in a sense to create a culture of fear and an agenda to get people to give up their independence to think and act like sovereign individuals and instead gradually require more government intervention in their everyday lives. The biggest of those myths is that any individual should not be concerned about protecting themselves from attackers because that is the government's job. Yet the government advocates restrictions on travel and habits for individual safety such as not going out at night, not carrying too much cash, traveling in groups, not wearing too sexy attire (women), and avoiding certain areas. That is not the hallmark of a free country.

As more people depend on the government for personal safety and start restricting their own habits, there will be less safety and also less freedom. I get tired of hearing from people, "I shouldn't have to be afraid to go out at night" and similar such statements. No one is there to protect you except yourself so take personal responsibility. Adding more police does not improve safety. If you want to improve safety, you give every man, woman, and child a gun and teach them how to use it. Then you have everyone carry pistols in the nice to normal neighborhoods and everyone in the not-so-nice neighborhoods would be carrying long guns. Then crime would go down. Likewise, if you want to avoid another plane being hijacked, you start allowing citizens to bring guns on airplanes. Enough said.
Good post, and I agree. As for the part I bolded: actually, the reason that draconian security measures were applied to airport security in the first place was apparently due to a streak of hijackings (albeit ones where the passangers weren't harmed). So that point needs to be qualified with the requirement that some passangers be armed... if none of the "good guys" makes the choice to carry a gun, things won't be too different from how they are now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cuba-US_aircraft_hijackings

smash29

imported post

protector84 wrote:
Likewise, if you want to avoid another plane being hijacked, you start allowing citizens to bring guns on airplanes. Enough said.

I'm not too sure armed passengers would make much of a difference. These days thecockpit door wouldn't be opened for hijackers and as long as that's the case the risk of an actualhijacking, taking control of the airplane and diverting it somewhere or using it as a weapon,is pretty slim.

Now in a "shoe-bomber" situation you may have a point.....

protector84

imported post

Also we do have to be realistic that guns are not perfect either for self-defense but certainly are a big help. If someone is planning on shooting up a university, restaurant, or workplace, then having a gun may very well save your life as well as many others. Unfortunately, if it is a case of someone planning on blowing up the place, then there isn't much you can do. This is another point to bring up to these anti-gun people who think that the sole cause of crime is guns. Guns were never used in 9/11 or in the attack on the federal building in Oklahoma. However, they could have saved lives in these school and workplace shootings and certainly would have saved lives on 9/11 if passengers or staff on the flights were carrying.

Recentlythe most devastating mass murders have involved explosives. So even if Cho, for instance, could not have gotten a gun to kill 33 people, he could have put together a bomb to kill hundreds of people. Since people using explosives is relatively rare, it is still a good idea to let the "good guys" carry firearms in various establishments.

imperialism2024

imported post

protector84 wrote:
Also we do have to be realistic that guns are not perfect either for self-defense but certainly are a big help. If someone is planning on shooting up a university, restaurant, or workplace, then having a gun may very well save your life as well as many others. Unfortunately, if it is a case of someone planning on blowing up the place, then there isn't much you can do. This is another point to bring up to these anti-gun people who think that the sole cause of crime is guns. Guns were never used in 9/11 or in the attack on the federal building in Oklahoma. However, they could have saved lives in these school and workplace shootings and certainly would have saved lives on 9/11 if passengers or staff on the flights were carrying.

Recentlythe most devastating mass murders have involved explosives. So even if Cho, for instance, could not have gotten a gun to kill 33 people, he could have put together a bomb to kill hundreds of people. Since people using explosives is relatively rare, it is still a good idea to let the "good guys" carry firearms in various establishments.
Case in point: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/10394.html