• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My 2 sec stop by the cops today

Sheldon

imported post

The officer sounds like one of those Testosterone poisoned rookies with too much time on his hands (wants to show just how big of a bad a$$ he is and will go out of their way to provoke, he hopped you would get mad)

Thundar

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Well, assuming basic accuracy of the OP as to the LEOs words, if the LEO was looking for help he sure approached it badly.

"I just wanted to ask you some questions about what your doing and were you have been."

is far different than

"I was hoping maybe you could help us."

Heck, after mulling it over, the LEO could have been trying to get info for a news article for an inhouse paper or some other innocuous or even supportive reason. If that was the case, it is unfortunate that the LEO used "standard" LEO language to start with.

Even it wasn't an LEO and was instead pretty much any other person in the world, including my fiancee, approaching me with "I just wanted to ask you some questions about what your doing and were you have been." it would result in an immediately defensive response from me (and from many, many people) of none of your business - go annoy someone else (I could explain why psychologically such an approach makes many people defensive and why, even knowing that, LEO are even trained to use similar language but it would be rather long and probably boring for most people and I don't feel like typing that much :)).
I agree with you Deepdiver. Many police officers need communications training. The assertiveness training they get is often seen as rude and can be counter productive when the cop needs assistance.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Cop was a nice guy NO negitive energy at all. We talked like gentelmen, he may have been a ruk but I left with NO bad feels towerds him......

I did have a odd time yesterday I was just out for a short walk and these 2 guys in a truck (they were rednecks) no offence but thats the best way to give the pic, slowed down and staired at me, that was the only time I was actualy worried. but I just kept walking. :lol: