• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best cheap 9mm ammo?

Weak 9mm

imported post

I second the above statement. I also have the Serpa, but it's the "non carbon fiber" model. I also have their magazine holder, and I like it a lot too. It is so easy to get my G17 out of that holster, and it forces the hand into the correct position to draw it, which I absolutely love. Plus, it might just buy that extra second I need (To fill someones eyes with CS/OC, and/or their throat with steel) if some crazy tried to draw it for me.

It has held up well so far, and I have no regrets about the purchase.

denthack

imported post

i plan on getting the non CF model myself. You mentioned "if somone tried to draw it for me" ... I know if has the retention system, but i didn't think it locks... does it really seem to help in making it difficult for someone else to quickly remove it?

Weak 9mm

imported post

If you just grab and pull, it will not come out. Now I have not tried to pull hard enough to break the mechanism for obvious reasons, but it definitely won't just come out without depressing the "button." The button must be depressed a decent amount too.

Another thing, if someone pulls on it and the gun doesn't come out immediately, you WILL notice. I have tried this with it on my belt, and it's very, very obvious that it's being tugged on. Also, it's not that easy to have your hand oriented in the proper position to push the button down unless you're actually wearing the holster. They would have to maneuver their hand in a very strange way to get the button depressed under most circumstances. If they haven't used a Serpa before, chances are you will notice what they're doing before they figure out how to get the gun from you.

denthack

imported post

Glad to hear a very positive review. I've never owned a holster with a locking mechanism, but i'm looking forward to it.

One think that drew me to the blackhawk was the 'clips' for lack of a better description that hook on your belt on the outside when you draw... my fobus paddle holster relies on the inside hooks and the tension of the spring... the blackhawk looks as if it will stay in place much better with an agressive draw.

Legba

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Thanks guys I will look around. Can I buy the 9mm ammo or is it considered "handgun only ammo?" Then I'll have to get my dad to go to the store before we go to the range.
It is possible for someone 18-21 to get 9mm ammo, if they are using it for a carbine. However, it is officially a "handgun" round, so you can be turned down when trying to buy it. It's at the discretion of the retailer, who can get in trouble selling handgun ammo to someone underage.

Also, I've had a few problems with aluminum case ammo (marked NR" for "not reloadable" on the base). I'd stick to steel or brass so the casing won't split and stick in the gun.

-ljp

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
purchase a fully supported barrel and when the next gun show rolls around, hit up the Georgia Arms table!!!!

I haven't heard of a fully supported barrel. Do you mean the chamber or is it just something I haven't heard of?

I know my G17 has a fully supported chamber, and I'm pretty sure the other 9mm Glocks also do. I know their other models are not fully supported, but the G17 definitely is.
Yeah, I'm almost positive that all of the 9mm Glocks have always had fully supported chambers.