• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Uzi gunfire rattles streets of Newark

Flintlock

imported post

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/Newark.Street.Fight.2.715396.html

Uzi Gunfire Rattles Streets Of Newark
Two Killed After Brawl Turns Into Submachine Gun Warfare
DaveCarlin.jpg
Reporting
Dave Carlin
NEWARK (CBS) ― Two men fatally shot each other after they brawled in Newark on Saturday afternoon.

The incident began around 2 p.m., said Det. Todd McClendon, a Newark police spokesman.

Police did not confirm what sparked the brawl, butidentified the victims as 16-year-old BashirDavis and28-year-old Jaronne Culver. They say there was a fight over turf, and may have involved a third man who fled in a car. One of the weapons used was an uzi, a type of submachine gun.

"I know both of them both of them," said Newark resident Amani Shakur. Both are generally good guys. I don't know what happened."

McClendon said one man was pronounced dead at the scene, while the other was taken to University Hospital in Newark, where he died a short time later.

There have now been 22 homicides in Newark this year, compared to 31 that had occurred by this time last year.

(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

casullshooter

imported post

An Uzi is a machine pistol not a machine gun........big difference in firepower. The press never gets it right. May have been a semi-auto model as well.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

casullshooter wrote:
An Uzi is a machine pistol not a machine gun........big difference in firepower. The press never gets it right. May have been a semi-auto model as well.

It says submachine gun, which is accurate (assuming it's full auto).

LEO 229

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
casullshooter wrote:

"One of the weapons used was an Uzi, a type of submachine gun"

Not all Uzis are full auto. So the statement here is only partially correct.

The problem is that at first glance it makes you think it was a "machine gun" and it is not identified one way or the other. So readers are going to assume it was.

"The submachine gun is an automatic or selective-fired shoulder weapon that fires pistol-caliber ammunition."

So they got the submachine gun right.

firearms_smguzi.gif

An Uzi does have a collapasable stock so this makes it a shoulder fire weapon. So this is not a maching pistol. ;)

Pointman

imported post

"I know both of them both of them. Both are generally good guys."

Modern Definitions:

"Good guys" don't shoot at each other.

"Generally good guys" only shoot at each other.

"Bad guys" shoot at anybody.

LEO 229

imported post

Pointman wrote:
"I know both of them both of them. Both are generally good guys."

Modern Definitions:

"Good guys" don't shoot at each other.

"Generally good guys" only shoot at each other.

"Bad guys" shoot at anybody.
I can agree to that!!

Huck

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
casullshooter wrote:

My money says it's a semi-auto, for now anyway. That may change after BATF gets done "examining" it.

Phssthpok

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
<snip>

An Uzi does have a collapasable stock so this makes it a shoulder fire weapon. So this is not a maching pistol. ;)

Perhaps not the model you showed. However there ARE machine pistol models in the UZI line up. Since the paper doesn't say (know) what KIND of UZI it was, we have no way of knowing if it was a shoulder-fired, pistol, semi-auto, or an NFA classified 'machine gun'.

unreconstructed1

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
<snip>

Perhaps not the model you showed. However there ARE machine pistol models in the UZI line up. Since the paper doesn't say (know) what KIND of UZI it was, we have no way of knowing if it was a shoulder-fired, pistol, semi-auto, or an NFA classified 'machine gun'.

but its got one of those barrel shroud thingies that go up on the shoulder, so it's an assault rifle regardless.... right?... uh right?.....:uhoh:

in al seriousness, does anyone here honestly expect the media to report on the actual weapon that is used? I have seen repots that classifies a Hi point 995 as an "assault rifle", reports that classified semi-auto rifles as "automatic" and reports that have distorted the truth even farther. teh media has no interest in reporting facts, because facts are boring, and they don't help out with the "ban all guns!!!" mentality. frankly, I'd be suprised if teh weapon was actually an UZI.

imperialism2024

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
but its got one of those barrel shroud thingies that go up on the shoulder, so it's an assault rifle regardless.... right?... uh right?.....:uhoh:

in al seriousness, does anyone here honestly expect the media to report on the actual weapon that is used? I have seen repots that classifies a Hi point 995 as an "assault rifle", reports that classified semi-auto rifles as "automatic" and reports that have distorted the truth even farther. teh media has no interest in reporting facts, because facts are boring, and they don't help out with the "ban all guns!!!" mentality. frankly, I'd be suprised if teh weapon was actually an UZI.
Yeah, "Uzi" seems pretty generic these days for "scary black gun". My high school history teacher liked to refer to regular people "walking down the street carrying an Uzi" whenever he tried to ridicule me for my pro-gun position. Well, until I said that I'd rather carry a select-fire AK-47 or a sawed-off shotgun, since they're more useful for SD purposes, in my opinion... :shock:

unreconstructed1

imported post

I know what you mean. I personally love NFA weapons, and would love to have some were it legal. any time I mention this to anyone, they go off on a rant about an "machine guns and uzis" being illegal "and for good reason".

although no one wants to specify what that "good reason" is, other than "daily massacres":cuss:

imperialism2024

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
I know what you mean. I personally love NFA weapons, and would love to have some were it legal. any time I mention this to anyone, they go off on a rant about an "machine guns and uzis" being illegal "and for good reason".

although no one wants to specify what that "good reason" is, other than "daily massacres":cuss:
I guess massacres of a population by the government are more acceptable than the occasional suicidal maniac who shoots a few people before being taken out by an armed civilian... Ask 65+ year-old German Jews (er, aside from the 6 million who "disappeared") about the daily massacres when the people don't have access to machine guns.

unreconstructed1

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
I guess massacres of a population by the government are more acceptable than the occasional suicidal maniac who shoots a few people before being taken out by an armed civilian... Ask 65+ year-old German Jews (er, aside from the 6 million who "disappeared") about the daily massacres when the people don't have access to machine guns.

better watch it Imperialism, any time I begin to suggest anything similar around heer I get the old " but this is teh U.S. of A. line.

it amazes me sometimes.

in the late 18th century, our forefathers faced death, torture, and hanging in order to secure the blessings of Liberty for posterity. once they suceeded, they went about making sure that their descendents (all of us) would have the opportunity to keep the government from becoming the same tyrannical despotism that they had just left. now, less than 250 years later, we have suceeded in pissing away virtually everything that they put their lives on the line to give us.... All in the name of "security"

sccrref

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
<snip>

Maybe, but as said before, once BATF gets through with however many tests it takes them, it will be a machine gun by their standards of the moment and further charges would follow had both parties not died. Lucky for them that they did!!

sccrref

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

better watch it Imperialism, any time I begin to suggest anything similar around heer I get the old " but this is teh U.S. of A. line.

it amazes me sometimes.

in the late 18th century, our forefathers faced death, torture, and hanging in order to secure the blessings of Liberty for posterity. once they suceeded, they went about making sure that their descendents (all of us) would have the opportunity to keep the government from becoming the same tyrannical despotism that they had just left. now, less than 250 years later, we have suceeded in pissing away virtually everything that they put their lives on the line to give us.... All in the name of "security"
And SAFETY. Who can be against safety. /end heavy sarcasm.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This "news"story is just another scare-piece.

If it said, "Two suspected gang members shot it out with Uzi's, killing one, while a third escaped," it would be one notch above boring.

Probably the mob paid off the reporter to write a piece that didn't reflect badly on the Families in the area. Can't have it look like a gang-war is getting started ala Corleone and the Five Families. Nor that the mafiosi can't control their soldiers.

mxwelch

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:
casullshooter wrote:

"One of the weapons used was an Uzi, a type of submachine gun"

Not all Uzis are full auto. So the statement here is only partially correct.

The problem is that at first glance it makes you think it was a "machine gun" and it is not identified one way or the other. So readers are going to assume it was.

"The submachine gun is an automatic or selective-fired shoulder weapon that fires pistol-caliber ammunition."

So they got the submachine gun right.

firearms_smguzi.gif

You can assume the one in the picture is afull autoif the buttstock extends. At the very least it's a SBR if not select-fire. You can usually tell the semi-autos from their NFA brethren by the barrel lengthcombined with the buttstock (or lack thereof)