• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP locations near Jacksonville

Howard

imported post

Hello everyone,

I have been reading the posts and I am looking for a place to get my Concealed Handgun Permit. I am in the Jacksonville area but have no problem traveling somewhere else to get it. Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Thanks,

Howard

spring_45 XD

imported post

Hello Howard the Sportsman Lodge was mentioned also you have Eastern Outfitters @ 4819 Richlands Hwy JCVL, NC (THEY HAD A CLASS MAY 2 & 3) Flatwoods Outfitters @ 111 2nd Amendment LN Riggs RD Hubert,NC ( 357 Riggs RD Hubert,NC) . I hope this will help you on your way to protecting you & your family

Howard

imported post

Thanks to those that replied. I will check out both locations and see which one suites me.

Thanks again

Howard

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

If you want to take the trip up to Newport (between Havelock and Morehead City), Ed's Gun Shop East gives the class for $50. They were doing them every Saturday for a while. I don't know if they're still holding that schedule, but if you give them a call they'll let you know when the next class will be. 252-223-3559

jad0110

imported post

From the horror stories I've heard, Onslow County is not a fun place to get a CCW permit. A friend of mine in Swansboro stated the Sherrif Brown is pretty hostile towards CCW. I know this is a shall issue state, but I've heard stories of him denying permits for no apparent reason. I don't know if these stories or true or not, perhaps others in Onslow Cty can enlighten me.

I took my CCW class at Ed's Gun Shop for $50. Nice bunch of folks at Eds, and good prices on guns and gear too_Oh yeay, if Danny told/tells the story about the lady popping herself in the foot with a 22, I was the lucky one standing next to her :uhoh:.

spring_45 XD

imported post

jad0110 wrote:
From the horror stories I've heard, Onslow County is not a fun place to get a CCW permit. A friend of mine in Swansboro stated the Sherrif Brown is pretty hostile towards CCW. I know this is a shall issue state, but I've heard stories of him denying permits for no apparent reason. I don't know if these stories or true or not, perhaps others in Onslow Cty can enlighten me.

I took my CCW class at Ed's Gun Shop for $50. Nice bunch of folks at Eds, and good prices on guns and gear too_Oh yeay, if Danny told/tells the story about the lady popping herself in the foot with a 22, I was the lucky one standing next to her :uhoh:.

Hello iam from the Richlands,NC ..part of Onslow County. Onslow county & Sheriff Brown were a pleasure to work with...Always remember issuse like this there is always 2 sides to every hostile encounter....PROUD TO CARRY A CCW FROM ONSLOW COUNTY. :celebrate

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

I wouldn't say that Brown is anti-CCW but he for sure is anti-military CCW. Every Marine or Sailor I ever talked to that went up there to get a CC permit always gets the runaround and treated like @#$%.

On top of jumping though the stupid hoops up at the SO you also have to jump though hoops at your unit to include getting a letter from your CO giving you permission to acquire a CC permit:cuss:

I said F-it, took leave came home to Texas for a week took my CHL class and sent in my paperwork. Bypassed all that crap and the unit never heard about any CHL that I may have had.

IMO it's none of my CO's business anyway. Do I need to get a letter to talk to my buddies while I'm off work?

Read a few of the posts on this website about..............Ol Brown.

I have lots of names I like to call him but none approprite for a public forum.

ETA-
www.defensiveconceptsnc.com

I did a defensive pistol course though them literally 2 days before I went back to Texas and the instructors and the class rocked. They teach concealed carry classes there. It is a drive though from J-ville. It's just east of Charlotte. It took me and the guy I shot the course with 3 hrs to get there. May not be worth it for a CHL class but it is another option.

judgedby12notcarriedby6

imported post

spring_45 XD wrote:
jad0110 wrote:

Hello iam from the Richlands,NC ..part of Onslow County. Onslow county & Sheriff Brown were a pleasure to work with...Always remember issuse like this there is always 2 sides to every hostile encounter....PROUD TO CARRY A CCW FROM ONSLOW COUNTY. :celebrate
I take it you are not military ? and yes there are two sides to every encounter, unfortunately, when it comes to military in Onslow county, the encounters with Sheriff Brownare usually painful.

SPRINGFIELD_45_ACP

imported post

To answer your question judgedby12notcarriedby6 i am NOT military however prior service...Does Sheriff Brown have issues with the active duty soldiers trying to get a CHP? He to me does not seem like that type of person,however there 2 sides to every fence..

judgedby12notcarriedby6

imported post

SPRINGFIELD_45_ACP wrote:
To answer your question judgedby12notcarriedby6 i am NOT military however prior service...Does Sheriff Brown have issues with the active duty soldiers trying to get a CHP? He to me does not seem like that type of person,however there 2 sides to every fence..
Sheriff Brown is very resident friendly, but Marines in Onlsow county are not condidered residents. However Marines stationed in craven county do not seem to have the issues that marines stationed in Onslow county contend with. I am sure that you have had good dealings with the Onslow county sheriff's dept.and Sheriff Brown as well, it does not change the fact that if Sheriff Brown had his way, no military in Onslow county would be issued a concealed weapon permit

SPRINGFIELD_45_ACP

imported post

judgedby12notcarriedby6 wrote:
SPRINGFIELD_45_ACP wrote:
Sheriff Brown is very resident friendly, but Marines in Onlsow county are not condidered residents. However Marines stationed in craven county do not seem to have the issues that marines stationed in Onslow county contend with. I am sure that you have had good dealings with the Onslow county sheriff's dept.and Sheriff Brown as well, it does not change the fact that if Sheriff Brown had his way, no military in Onslow county would be issued a concealed weapon permit
I understand what you are saying...Camp Lejeune & all military installations in Onslow County are annexed in the overall population so that does make each officer,soildier,,sailor ,etc,,etc residents of Onslow County..If the Sheriff is BIASED you may want to take this issue to the next level to see why its so hard for the Military to get a CHP...Good Luck my friend

Manolo

imported post

It's too bad that we (the military) cannot be treated like everyone else. Some would gladly take our money in exchange for services and curse us the moment we turn our backs. I went to Eastern Outfitters at 4819 Richlands Hwy, Jacksonville and asked about the Concealed Weapons Carry Course and they quoted $125.00 for a three day course. Is this correct? Does anyone know of any other places in the Jacksonville area offering the course? Thanks.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Manolo wrote:
It's too bad that we (the military) cannot be treated like everyone else. Some would gladly take our money in exchange for services and curse us the moment we turn our backs. I went to Eastern Outfitters at 4819 Richlands Hwy, Jacksonville and asked about the Concealed Weapons Carry Course and they quoted $125.00 for a three day course. Is this correct? Does anyone know of any other places in the Jacksonville area offering the course? Thanks.
Ed's Gun Shop East in Newport, NC is a bit of a drive (~40 minutes), but they charge less (~$50) and it's a one day event. They do it most Saturday's at 8 AM.

buzzsaw

imported post

If you don't mind a short drive, the Shooters Choice offers the course in Wilmington. Good guys from all I've heard.

Manolo

imported post

Thanks for the info. I have am already commited to take the course at Ed's Gun Shop this weekend. Have a Happy Holiday all........

Manolo

imported post

Thank you all for your input. I took the course today at Ed's Gun Shop East in Newport, NC. The staff is professional and knowledgable. The instruction is easy to follow. My daughter and I both had a great time today and we both have our certificates. Ed's is highly recommended. Here are the address and the phone.

6919 Highway 70Newport, NC 28570(252) 223-3559

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Manolo wrote:
Thank you all for your input. I took the course today at Ed's Gun Shop East in Newport, NC. The staff is professional and knowledgable. The instruction is easy to follow. My daughter and I both had a great time today and we both have our certificates. Ed's is highly recommended. Here are the address and the phone.

6919 Highway 70Newport, NC 28570(252) 223-3559

I'm glad things went well for you. I should have had you tell Ray that I sent you, but I didn't realize you were going until earlier today, lol. I drove by at one point, and it looked like they were packed again, like usual.