• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Firearms Signs

Mainsail

imported post

I saw this sign at the door to enter the Rainier Bar and Grill in Enumclaw after a day of hiking up in Greenwater. They do allow children under 21 inside the restaurant just not, of course, in the bar area. As it would happen, I wasn’t carrying at all so I wasn’t able to judge their response to open carry, but its placement right at the entrance seems inappropriate. Would this sign deter you from carrying inside even though it’s not in the proper place? I wonder if it may have been placed there by an owner/manager who doesn’t have an appreciation for firearms or their carry.

d18ae699-0752-4554-95b5-f9b54c11caab.jpg

Mainsail

imported post

Found this while google searching the businees for an email address:

[size=-1]RAINIER BAR & GRILL
1623 COLE ST
ENUMCLAW
WA98022-3509
[/size]

[size=-1]Violation:
SALE/FURNISHING TO PERSON(S) UNDER 21 YOA
Paid penalty in the amount of:$500[/size]

Bear 45/70

imported post

I played this game with two local places that got their liquor license and tried to tell me couldn't carry in the place anymore. A quick call to the liquor board and they sent an investigator out and corrected the problem.

G27

imported post

Restaurants willuse this as a form of doublespeak. While we know what the law encompasses on firearms, the general public doesn't. This gives the feeling of security without real security.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The Ram on the Tacoma waterfront has their sign just as you come in the door. It still did not stop me from OC'ing with the family in the restaurant section.

surfj9009

imported post

Ichiban and Flaming Joes in Spokane have the same sign posted at the entrance, while it should be posted at the bar.

just_a_car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
I played this game with two local places that got their liquor license and tried to tell me couldn't carry in the place anymore. A quick call to the liquor board and they sent an investigator out and corrected the problem.
If this actually works, then maybe you could furnish us with the phone number you used to call them and get the restaurants reported?

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
If this actually works, then maybe you could furnish us with the phone number you used to call them and get the restaurants reported?
Yeah, it worked just fine. Call Liquor Control Enforcement at 360-753-6271 or 360-664-1780

just_a_car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Yeah, it worked just fine. Call Liquor Control Enforcement at 360-753-6271 or 360-664-1780
Thanks a bunch Bear. Hopefully this number will get those establishments we find in violation of the 'rules' set down by the WA LCB back "in line" so that we and other less-informed citizens can carry in peace.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

My son wants to join the Job Corps. I set up the appointment and take him to the Lakewood Work Source, Job Center. We get there early and while waiting he points out the door to me. There is a sign that says no weapons. I'm a little confused because I thought this was a State run facility but because it has the Job Corps office in it I thought it might be a Federal facility. So just in case, I lock the pistol in the safe and we proceeded in. I took pics outside and as I got in the door I was asked why? I asked if the facility was a State facility or federal. The reply was State. I was told by Lori at the front desk that the reason for the sign was that someone had come into a downtown office with a CC permit and shot 2 people.
I did not make a statement at that time as I wanted to make sure I had my facts straight as I will be returning in a few days to complete his registration. To my understanding this facility would be covered under RCW 9.41.290 ? if I'm about to be the test case for this facility I want to make sure I have my info correct.

joeroket

imported post

So for the liquor part of this thread I went ahead and contacted the liquor control board who put me in touch with a Lt., I assume from the State Liquor Enforcement but I am not sure. Here is her answer to my question about places that are open to people under 21 until a certain time then are off limits to them. This is the same as everybody here thought but at least we have someone of authority giving the same interpretation.

In reading the RCW, it seems pretty clear the prohibition is for “areas classified by the Liquor Control Board as off limits to persons under the age of 21” So for any area that is not classified as off limits until 9:00pm the prohibition wouldn’t apply until 9:00pm.
However, this is a really interesting question; when RCW 9 was written, it was probably prior to the Board ever approving some areas to be classified during certain hours of operation. When the RCW was written, the boundaries between lounges and dining rooms were probably much clearer than they are today. If I learn that I’m incorrect in my interpretation of the law, I’ll let you know, but I think you’re on safe ground up until the time the “no minors” rule is in effect.

quentusrex

imported post

M1Gunr, before you become a test case I would suggest either you or someone from this board ask to speak to the manager. Find out from them who their boss is, etc. If it turns out it's directly a State facility then I'd say it'd be a good time to challenge that sign.

Gene Beasley

imported post

M1Gunr - I would concur on the approach. I know the feeling where you just get so completely fed up with entity after entity coming up with rules outside the scope of their authority. You will be money and sanity ahead by fighting this through channels rather than being a test-case. A wise man, who has been at this much longer than I, managed to settle me down. A firearms lawyer would be a good place to turn; better for this than for criminal advice.

quentusrex

imported post

This is the place? Great. I'm going to Lakewood tomorrow anyway. I'll talk to the manager.

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]
WorkSource Lakewood Affiliate
[align=right] Lakewood[/align] [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]
spacer.gif
[/font]
[align=right] Hours and Services | Directions | Map
[/align]
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
[align=left]
spacer.gif
[/align] [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]
spacer.gif
[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]WorkSource Affiliate
Serving Pierce County[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica"]Contact: Debbie Denton
10107 S. Tacoma Way Bldg A Suite 2
Lakewood, WA 98499
Phone: (253) 589-7119
FAX: (253) 589-6349
TTY: (253) 587-6351
Email: worksourcepierce@esd.wa.gov[/font]
[/font][/font][/font][/font]
[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[/font][/font]
[/font][/font][/font]
[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[/font]

And that contact e-mail ends in .wa.gov which means it's State run.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

quentusrex wrote:
This is the place? Great. I'm going to Lakewood tomorrow anyway. I'll talk to the manager.

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]
WorkSource Lakewood Affiliate
[align=right] Lakewood[/align] [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]
spacer.gif
[/font]
[align=right] Hours and Services | Directions | Map
[/align]
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
[align=left]
spacer.gif
[/align] [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]
spacer.gif
[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]WorkSource Affiliate
Serving Pierce County[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica"]Contact: Debbie Denton
10107 S. Tacoma Way Bldg A Suite 2
Lakewood, WA 98499
Phone: (253) 589-7119
FAX: (253) 589-6349
TTY: (253) 587-6351
Email: worksourcepierce@esd.wa.gov[/font]
[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[/font][/font]
[/font][/font][/font]
[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
[/font]

And that contact e-mail ends in .wa.gov which means it's State run.

That's the contact info I got as well. I sent her an email and attached a copy of the pamphlet monday afternoon.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Found this while google searching the businees for an email address:

[size=-1]RAINIER BAR & GRILL
1623 COLE ST
ENUMCLAW
WA98022-3509
[/size]

[size=-1]Violation:
SALE/FURNISHING TO PERSON(S) UNDER 21 YOA
Paid penalty in the amount of:$500[/size]
Happens every day. Here in Texas the penalty is tougher (to the tune of about $2500 for a first violation) and there are very few valid defenses. Hell, one of my assistant managers got one of those when I was working at a mexican food place in college (we sold beer and frozen margaritas) when the TABC sent in an under-21 to try to buy. The only saving grace with a sting is that the minor trying to buy is not allowed to try to pass off a fake ID, and if you ask whether he's 21 he must answer truthfully. If however the under-21 is not an agent and is caught with the alcohol or intoxicated,it is not a valid defense to sayhe passed off a fake ID unless that fake ID has EVERY LAST SECURITY FEATURE present on Texas licenses. It is then a "deceptively similar document". I think my manager also managed to get his charge dismissed because he's an older guy who needed bifocals, and read '08' as '03' on the "Under 21 Until" date on under-21 licenses. I personally don't see how his lawyer made that fly; that's the kind of mistake anyone can make, but if anyone else but the manager-in-charge had made that mistake they'd have been led out in handcuffs.