Thread: Loaning a gun

Post imported post

I'm going to be spending the summer in Hawaii and as such will be leaving all my guns behind (I am taking my bow!). I have a buddy who's hinting that he'd like to hold onto my XD45. I trust the guy, but am a little uneasy about lending out a firearm. What do you guys think?

ps: I don't know if it matters but he is a cop.

Post imported post

why not take it with you?

Post imported post

It's my understanding that Hawaii is fairly unfriendly to the 2A, and i've also heard it's a pain to fly with it. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Post imported post

Thanks for the links LEO.

Reference: HRS 134-3

Every person arriving in the state who brings or by any other manner causes to be brought into the state a firearm of any description, whether usable or unusable, serviceable or unserviceable, modern or antique, shall register the firearm within [font=""]72 hours (three days) after arrival of the person or firearm, whichever arrives later.

No thank you.

Post imported post

JB wrote:
    Thanks for the links LEO.

Reference: HRS 134-3

Every person arriving in the state who brings or by any other manner causes to be brought into the state a firearm of any description, whether usable or unusable, serviceable or unserviceable, modern or antique, shall register the firearm within [font=""]72 hours (three days) after arrival of the person or firearm, whichever arrives later.
    No thank you.
    Ya.... I do not favor that registration process either. I will NEVER live in a state that makes me do it..... with the exception of my machine gun as it is already registered to me with the ATF so it does not matter much.

Love to retire to Hawaii..... but I would have to leave my fun guns behind and register the rest.

Post imported post

Instead of loaning your gun, you might consider leaving it with any family members in the area, if there are any. If you are only gone for the summer you can alsoleave it in a safe deposit box and retrieve it when you get back. You can also sell it and replace it when you flee from occupied territory...
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

If I am leaving my guns behind for an extended period of time take the barrels and springs with you, or at least leave them in seperate places. As much as I trust people, I still do not trust people other thanmy family with my firearms. People have been known to do stupid things in desperate times.

Post imported post

A very old and wise gunsmith once told me "You never lend out your gun or your wife... In that order."

Post imported post

Eh, for me I would leave guns either with friends who have no clue about how to do anything with them and no desire to do anything with them, or with friends who are very familiar with guns and already have a few. The ones in between are the ones I'd worry about, who don't have any guns of their own but know enough about them to do something stupid.

Just my humble opinion, of course...

Post imported post

I've got several long guns and a couple other handguns that i'm leaving with my folks. I hadn't thought about doing anything else with them but he was hinting he'd like to borrow the xd.

Post imported post

JB wrote:
    I've got several long guns and a couple other handguns that i'm leaving with my folks. I hadn't thought about doing anything else with them but he was hinting he'd like to borrow the xd.
    Borrow it to do what? Shoot? Or carry?

Does he have any other handguns besides his service pistol?

Post imported post

No, i don't believe he has any other guns other than what has been issued. That's what makes me hesitant. If he were a "gun guy" i'd probably loan it no problem. He said his dept. was considering switching to .45's, so if he could put some rounds through it and be better able to qualify I'd be glad to help him out. He told me he was considering buying an XD, so maybe he just wants one to try out.

Post imported post

JB wrote:
    No, i don't believe he has any other guns other than what has been issued. That's what makes me hesitant. If he were a "gun guy" i'd probably loan it no problem. He said his dept. was considering switching to .45's, so if he could put some rounds through it and be better able to qualify I'd be glad to help him out. He told me he was considering buying an XD, so maybe he just wants one to try out.

It is just my opinion but if he wants to try it out then he can do it when you are there with him and if he wants to try out a .45 handgun then I am sure that he can borrow one from a gun shop that has a shooting range or a shooting range that also lets you loan a gun and charge a fee for it.

But as I said, it is just my opinion though.

Post imported post

Unless the gun is irreplaceable or very difficult to replace, I'll gnerally loan it to a close friend. I have loaned firearms to and I have also borrowed firearms from friends. I'll soon be holding some firearms for a friend of mine for about a year and he has not only given me permission, but encouragement, to shoot them while I have them. The only conditions my friends and I have ever set I think is that if you break it or do something and get it confiscated, you are replacing it.

We've never had any issue but then most of my friends are pretty responsible and take care of any borrowed property. There are a few I would be reluctant to loan a gun to but most of them I'm not worried about.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I appreciate all of the feedback. If he mentions it again I'll probably loan it out with the contingencies Deepdiver mentioned. If not, she'll stay in the safe for the summer.

Post imported post

If you feel uneasy about it, don't do it. He can go to the range 'with' you if he wants to try it out.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

The problem with me going with him to the range is that he's about 8 hours away. After finals are over I'll head back home and have a few days to get everything squared away before I leave. Not sure if I'd have the time.