• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No OC in Henderson???

icode

imported post

I went to American Shooters on Boulder Hwy today mostly just shopping. The guy who was "helping" me told me that I needed to get a CCW because a new law was just passed in Henderson making open carry illegal. Please tell me that this cannot be... I thought SB 92 got rid of all of this bullshite!

Shane.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

The state law overrides local laws. If they tried to arrest you under a Henderson local law it would be an illegitimate arrest. I'd just ignore it.

Also, gun dealers are good sources of disinformation. Look it up yourself. It may not even be true, not that it really matters since the state reserves the right to regulate firearms for itself (with the exception of discharge.)

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

icode wrote:
[1]The guy who was "helping" me told me that I needed to get a CCW because a [2]new law was just passed in Henderson making open carry illegal. Please tell me that this cannot be... [3]I thought SB 92 got rid of all of this bullshite!
Wow! Another gun shop counter guy giving unsolicited and incorrect information? I'm shocked.

1. Consider the source.
2. No such law was passed.
3. It was gotten rid of long before SB92. Nevada has had statewide preemption since June 13, 1989 that prevents enforcement of any new city/county laws regulating firearms (other than discharge).

All SB92 did was get rid of old ordinances that were grandfathered when preemption was psased in 1989, and make some changes to the rules about Clark County's handgun registration ordinance (which was allowed to stand).

CowboyKen

imported post

I use that range all the time. It is hard for me to believe that they are that hard up to get people for the CCW course. Do you have a name for the person who told you this? I would like to talk to him.

Ken

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

icode wrote:
I went to American Shooters on Boulder Hwy today mostly just shopping. The guy who was "helping" me told me that I needed to get a CCW because a new law was just passed in Henderson making open carry illegal. Please tell me that this cannot be... I thought SB 92 got rid of all of this bullshite!

Shane.

You cannot have a holstered weapon INSIDE American shooters because of their insurance policy. It has to be in a range bag. If he told you that he's an idiot.

Call the CCW division of the Sheriffs office and they will flat out tell you that Open Carry is 100% Legal in Nevada. I have done this on countless occasions and they tell you the law, not their personal opinion. I have also talked to the sheriff over the phone and HE told me to contact him back if anyone (LEO or otherwise) tell me different.

Vegas_Dave

imported post

I too would like to know who it was that said it. I use that range as the main range I go to.

Ignorance from a salesman like that needs to be addressed through his boss.

icode

imported post

As always, thank you all for the information. The guy I was speaking to said he usually works on the range at the Arville location. His name is Ardy.

I called the HPD after I got home and the "Desk Sergeant" called me back. He looked up the Henderson Municiple Code and read it to me. Then he admitted it was very ambigous (obviously, he's not a lawyer). He went on to discuss the pros and cons of OC as regards to the potential escallation of violence if the bad guy sees you with a gun. He said that if I'm OCing and somebody calls the cops they will respond with at least 4 cars and that I will have guns drawn on me and depending on the situation I will be "proned out", and that I should plan on spending at least an hour with them explaining myself. Sounds like a pretty crappy deal to me.

Shane.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

icode wrote:
As always, thank you all for the information. The guy I was speaking to said he usually works on the range at the Arville location. His name is Ardy.

I called the HPD after I got home and the "Desk Sergeant" called me back. He looked up the Henderson Municiple Code and read it to me. Then he admitted it was very ambigous (obviously, he's not a lawyer). He went on to discuss the pros and cons of OC as regards to the potential escallation of violence if the bad guy sees you with a gun. He said that if I'm OCing and somebody calls the cops they will respond with at least 4 cars and that I will have guns drawn on me and depending on the situation I will be "proned out", and that I should plan on spending at least an hour with them explaining myself. Sounds like a pretty crappy deal to me.

Shane.
INAL, but:

This is what you say during that hour of you're 4a right being violated.

1. "my name is ___insert your name here___"

2. "I want to talk to my lawer"

3. see number 2

Nothing else. If they arrest you for ubstruction, sue their asses for false arrest.

The constitution was made for a reason.

carry your gun.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You would then have a very excellent case against HPD for an illegal detention.

Regardless... I'm not buying it. I'm willing to meet some folks down on Water St. and spend half a day OCing in front of City Hall and the PD to prove it.

icode

imported post

bobernet wrote:

Regardless... I'm not buying it. I'm willing to meet some folks down on Water St. and spend half a day OCing in front of City Hall and the PD to prove it.

I'm sure we would have no problem OCing there. The problem seems to come in when Mr. or Mrs. Dumbass call the LEO on you. Apparently the dispatcher doesn't have the brains to ask "Is it holstered?" or "Is he doing anything wrong???" So LEO do a felony stop on you. At the very least very embarrasing for your kids (if they're with you).

Shane.

Vegas_Dave

imported post

Someone would have to make a claim that you were actually doing something. IF someone calls the cops because you are "A man with a gun" and they show and and it is simply holstered, I doubt that they would come in with guns drawn. You would likely be approached while a support officer stayed back just in case you were a nutjob.

However, I have never had this happen to me because so far, the only people to ask me about it simply assumed that I was LEO and if they did ask, I correctly told them that no, I am a private businessman and that it is legal in Nevada to open carry a firearm and that I do it for the protection of myself and those around me.

icode

imported post

Okay!

Here's another one told by the same bozo. I go shooting out near Sloan, ya know the area where it's obvious by all the brass and trash that people have been shooting for about 100 years, I mentioned this to Ardy and he said "No, you can't shoot there anymore, the rangers have been confiscating guns from people shooting there, I saw it happen to some people." I'm calling BS on this one too, I even asked the LEO about it and he said as long as it's away from people and buildings, go ahead.

Anybody know anything about this one? What is to be done about poor misinformed Ardy. I'm clearly not educated enough to educate him or his boss:?

Shane.

Vegas_Dave

imported post

Who's calling Ardy's boss???

This guy is a fountain of misinformation.

Its listed somewhere on here but you have to be I think 3000yrds away from any building if I recall.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm not familiar with the Sloan area, but that may be the only thing the guy said that had any shred of legitimacy.

Henderson, for example, outlaws the discharge of all firearms anywhere that is considered the "city limits." The only exceptions are the areas they specifically name.

I don't know whether that area is incorporated by a city that regulates discharge in the same way. Regardless... the rule for shooting on any of the National Forest/BLM areas is 1000 yards from any roads or houses unless they have otherwise declared it a no shooting area. You can check USGS maps to see where boundaries are.

Mike Lussem had a blog entry about the situation last year, lemme find it... here it is: http://art1sec11.blogspot.com/2007/08/you-cant-do-that-here-blm-enforcing-no.html

Here's the official BLM page: http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo/blm_programs/lvfo_recreation/target_shooting_and.html

h2ojunkie

imported post

bobernet wrote:

You and me both!

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

h2ojunkie wrote:
bobernet wrote:

You and me both!
Count me in too. I OC in Henderson quite a bit, and while I'm not usually near Water St, have never had any issues anywhere in the city.

sksbubba

imported post

I shoot at sloan every weekend and local LEO's always drive by with their Suburban and all they do is wave and keep driving by. Been shooting there for over two years and have not seen any problems with LEOs harassing anyone.

I'll say it also...Ardy's a (insert sound effect) REEETARRD

I'm sorry the kid in me just had to do it:celebrate

icode

imported post

sksbubba wrote:
I shoot at sloan every weekend and local LEO's always drive by with their Suburban and all they do is wave and keep driving by. Been shooting there for over two years and have not seen any problems with LEOs harassing anyone.

I'll say it also...Ardy's a (insert sound effect) REEETARRD

I'm sorry the kid in me just had to do it:celebrate

To get to the place you go, do you take a left off of LV Blvd onto the dirt road and is the broken down RV still sitting there blocking the road? I'm trying to figure out if it's the same place I go...

Shane.

sksbubba

imported post

I-15 south take Sloan exit (next exit after St. Rose Pkwy) take Las Vegas Blvd south towards Jean about 2-3 miles. When you see the radio tower on the right side across the I-15 that's where you turnleft off LVB and onto the dirt road.

Ive never seen the RV there. Maybe that's the one before that spot with the cove on the hill and there's a jaccuzi on the bottom.

icode

imported post

Maybe we can meet out there this weekend:)I haven't been for a few weeks and I'm itching to sling some lead! pm Me and we can set something up. BTW I'd be bringing my 7yo son, I don't go shooting without him :cool:

Shane.