Thread: OC while traveling through NC

Post imported post

i have a valid Florida CWL which is also Valid in NC

i think i know the answer but me being me i just want to make sure...

can i OC while i stop in the state (for buying gas,eating, etc)

State Researcher

Post imported post

Of course! Anyone that can legally possess a handgun in NC can carry it openly, no permit required. Just make sure you're aware of the locations that are off limits.

Post imported post

But NC doesn't have full premption does it? Can't citys and towns regulate the display of firearms on the streets, sidewalks, alleys, or other public property?

State Researcher

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    But NC doesn't have full premption does it? Can't citys and towns regulate the display of firearms on the streets, sidewalks, alleys, or other public property?
    The only municipality that has any regulation on the display of firearms is chapel hill, which requires the firearm to be at least6 inches in length to be considered "open", or not concealed. They CANNOT flat out ban open carry.

I have done plenty of research reguarding local firearm restrictions in my area, and have yet to run into a single ordinance that would cause any problems.

Post imported post

dont forget folks you cant carry on goverment owned property this includes state and local goverments in most areas if not all. another words dont carry on town hall police stations ect use good judgement.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    Of course! Anyone that can legally possess a handgun in NC can carry it openly, no permit required. Just make sure you're aware of the locations that are off limits.
    thats what i though...but it doesnt hurt to double check

thanks

Post imported post

Yeah just be careful in Cary, and have a full sized handgun as already mentioned while in Chapel Hill.

From other threads I've seen, it appears that Cary police will at least attempt to charge you with going armed to the terror of the people if they catch you OCing in the city. It is not legal from anything I've seen, but at the same time we have some evidence that they still plan to enforce their idea of the law.

I saw you mentioned restaurants. The only restriction I know of is you can't go into an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premesis, from my understanding.

Post imported post

i dont think ill be near there..ill be in I-95 most of the time...then ill change to I-81 cause ill be going to a destination on the western side of Virginia