• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while traveling through NC

Studem

imported post

i have a valid Florida CWL which is also Valid in NC

i think i know the answer but me being me i just want to make sure...

can i OC while i stop in the state (for buying gas,eating, etc)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Of course! Anyone that can legally possess a handgun in NC can carry it openly, no permit required. Just make sure you're aware of the locations that are off limits.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
But NC doesn't have full premption does it? Can't citys and towns regulate the display of firearms on the streets, sidewalks, alleys, or other public property?

The only municipality that has any regulation on the display of firearms is chapel hill, which requires the firearm to be at least6 inches in length to be considered "open", or not concealed. They CANNOT flat out ban open carry.

I have done plenty of research reguarding local firearm restrictions in my area, and have yet to run into a single ordinance that would cause any problems.

burninsteeda04

imported post

dont forget folks you cant carry on goverment owned property this includes state and local goverments in most areas if not all. another words dont carry on town hall police stations ect use good judgement.

Studem

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Of course! Anyone that can legally possess a handgun in NC can carry it openly, no permit required. Just make sure you're aware of the locations that are off limits.

thats what i though...but it doesnt hurt to double check

thanks

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yeah just be careful in Cary, and have a full sized handgun as already mentioned while in Chapel Hill.

From other threads I've seen, it appears that Cary police will at least attempt to charge you with going armed to the terror of the people if they catch you OCing in the city. It is not legal from anything I've seen, but at the same time we have some evidence that they still plan to enforce their idea of the law.

I saw you mentioned restaurants. The only restriction I know of is you can't go into an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premesis, from my understanding.

Studem

imported post

i dont think ill be near there..ill be in I-95 most of the time...then ill change to I-81 cause ill be going to a destination on the western side of Virginia