• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to NRA range tomorrow morning

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Well as the title states I am going to the NRA range for the first time ever to fire the new Glock 19 for the first time ever. Anyways I know there is a safety test when I get there for first time users. Are the rules for the range that I can have the gun holstered, but with no mag in it if I am correct? I was out at blue ridge looking today and that is the way people came in. They had their gun in a holster with no magazine and then brought a case with ammo and extra mags in it. Anyone going to be there tomorrow morning?
Thanks guys!

hsmith

imported post

Won't be there tomorrow but you can carry in loaded without a problem. OC or CC (CC if you have the permit).

They have restrictions as far as how you can have the weapon holstered if you are going to practice pulling from it on the firing lane.

I always carry either OC or CC loaded with one in the pipe.

Glock27Bill

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Won't be there tomorrow but you can carry in loaded without a problem. OC or CC (CC if you have the permit).

They have restrictions as far as how you can have the weapon holstered if you are going to practice pulling from it on the firing lane.

I always carry either OC or CC loaded with one in the pipe.

+1

No shoulder holsters or other methods of cross draw.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Cool. I will have it unloaded anyways but I have this holster so it shouldn't be an issue.
DSC_0060-1.jpg

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Well as the title states I am going to the NRA range for the first time ever to fire the new Glock 19 for the first time ever. Anyways I know there is a safety test when I get there for first time users. Are the rules for the range that I can have the gun holstered, but with no mag in it if I am correct? I was out at blue ridge looking today and that is the way people came in. They had their gun in a holster with no magazine and then brought a case with ammo and extra mags in it. Anyone going to be there tomorrow morning?
Thanks guys!

When i took the "saftey test" there was a chalk/dry erase board.....pay attention to that board

hsmith

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
When i took the "saftey test" there was a chalk/dry erase board.....pay attention to that board
lol, you don't even need to od that - they give you the answers

Glock27Bill

imported post

If you want to get together to shoot sometime, give me some notice.

I've got tons of leave saved up, can't think of a better way to spend it.

When I first got back into shooting, I was at the NRA range several times a week, but it's gotten a lot more crowded since then.

A weekday shoot might be just the ticket.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I'll try and make a thread and set up a date that I will go next. I am gone next week, but maybe later this week I will go. We will see I may just continue this thread if I can pinpoint a date. Thanks for all the help guys!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I was just at the range I go to early this afternoon with a Glock 19. I had the 3.5 connector installed two weeks ago and this is the first time I have had the opportunity to check it out.

Great mod and all went well. I'm going to have this connector installed in my G23 tomorrow morning. Maybe my G26 and G27 later on, to.

kwmayo

imported post

No weapons or ammo in the classroom. The test is easy, and all the answers are given to you, you just have to find them.

nova

imported post

Good luck and have fun! I remember the first time I went shooting handguns...much different than it is in this area...My father took my brother and I out to some land outside of Pittsburgh PA that used to be strip mined back in the day...

Got to shoot his Colt Gold Cup, Python, AR15 and a few others...

anyways...

If I wasn't already a platinum member at Gilberts in Lorton I'd come out there and join you :)

Be advised that the NRA range only sells ammunition to 21+ regardless of what its for. But when I stopped in before going to the NRA-U event in one of the towers I did get to check out the range...looks pretty nice!

I can't wait for Gilberts to reopen tomorrow...they've been renovating the range and shop for the past week :cool:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Well I went and took my range test and all. I come back to the counter and give them my id and all and he asks how old I am. I told him I'm 19 and then the woman says "so are you going to be shooting a rifle today?" I reliped with "no, I will be shooting this" (Pointing to the Glock 19 on my hip. Well I got the:what:You can't shoot that without someone 21 and we wont sell you ammo and how did you transport it here because the police will get you? Ugh people must think I am stupid because I'm 19. I know the fricking law!!! I calmy replied that I had it locked in a case unloaded under the back seat of my truck per VA law and that I had it holsterd on my hip when I came in and that there was no mag in it. This is so dumb. I am 19 and can legally walk around VA with a pisol strapped to my hip, but I am not allowed to practice how to use it:cuss:Anyways I am very mad right now because no where on the NRA website did it say this and the signs posted said they could not sell handgun ammo to anyone under 21, which I knew and had 150rds with me. I had to keep a level head obviously, but I was so mad that they told me I could not shoot a handgun.:banghead:

hsmith

imported post

Christ, no wonder people think the NRA is worthless, they don't even know the laws.
Did you get her name?

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Well I went and took my range test and all. I come back to the counter and give them my id and all and he asks how old I am. I told him I'm 19 and then the woman says "so are you going to be shooting a rifle today?" I reliped with "no, I will be shooting this" (Pointing to the Glock 19 on my hip. Well I got the:what:You can't shoot that without someone 21 and we wont sell you ammo and how did you transport it here because the police will get you? Ugh people must think I am stupid because I'm 19. I know the fricking law!!! I calmy replied that I had it locked in a case unloaded under the back seat of my truck per VA law and that I had it holsterd on my hip when I came in and that there was no mag in it. This is so dumb. I am 19 and can legally walk around VA with a pisol strapped to my hip, but I am not allowed to practice how to use it:cuss:Anyways I am very mad right now because no where on the NRA website did it say this and the signs posted said they could not sell handgun ammo to anyone under 21, which I knew and had 150rds with me. I had to keep a level head obviously, but I was so mad that they told me I could not shoot a handgun.:banghead:
hey check your private messages, I'd be willing to go up to the NRA with you

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
If it makes it any better (it won't ;) ) I only got a NRA membership because they gave me two years free and I figured I'd like the free magazine subscription that was included ;)

That really is sad that the people at the NRA range don't even know the laws of the state they have their HEADQUARTERS in...
Funny thing about the towers though...they have a security guard at the front desk who is basically there to just smile and say hello :)
A NRA rep at that event I went to said that "This is the NRA! Would we really have a "no guns" sign at our entrance? Hell no!" In other words you're free to CC and OC in the NRA HQ :)

Marco

imported post

You can't shoot that without someone 21.
That could be their policy.

We wont sell you ammo.
Legally she can't.

And how did you transport it here because the police will get you?
Just ignorant.
There are members of this forum in your area that go shooting on a regular basis.
;)

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Thanks guys! My dad will go with me some, but I just think it's dumb that I can't walk in and shoot without haveing someone 21 or older with me. My dad is out of town today so I just wanted to go practice and learn what I am doing. Hopefully I'll find another day to go this week hit me up if any of you are going and won't mind teaching a newb how to shoot:lol:
I knew the ammo thing of course so I brought my own. It just added to insult when he asked me how I got it there. I know my legal rights. I could have OC'd on my way there, but I had it locked in a case unloaded under the back seat out of my reach per Va law. I hated the way they treated me, it was like I was a child:banghead:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

nova wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
If it makes it any better (it won't ;) ) I only got a NRA membership because they gave me two years free and I figured I'd like the free magazine subscription that was included ;)

That really is sad that the people at the NRA range don't even know the laws of the state they have their HEADQUARTERS in...
Funny thing about the towers though...they have a security guard at the front desk who is basically there to just smile and say hello :)
A NRA rep at that event I went to said that "This is the NRA! Would we really have a "no guns" sign at our entrance? Hell no!" In other words you're free to CC and OC in the NRA HQ :)
Yea I had to park up top because my truck is too big for the garage. I walked in OCing (no mag) right up to the front desk and she politely directed me to the range.

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Thanks guys! My dad will go with me some, but I just think it's dumb that I can't walk in and shoot without haveing someone 21 or older with me. My dad is out of town today so I just wanted to go practice and learn what I am doing. Hopefully I'll find another day to go this week hit me up if any of you are going and won't mind teaching a newb how to shoot:lol:
I knew the ammo thing of course so I brought my own. It just added to insult when he asked me how I got it there. I know my legal rights. I could have OC'd on my way there, but I had it locked in a case unloaded under the back seat out of my reach per Va law. I hated the way they treated me, it was like I was a child:banghead:

Yep I know what you mean...it's just the way our country is now...since they made the law 21 to purchase handguns and ammo for handguns at dealers, people assume that if you can't buy it from a dealer yourself then you can't own them...:banghead:

You shoulda heard one of my friends (who is pro gun but doesn't know much about the laws) thought I bought my one revolver illegally when I told him I bought it from a guy in a parking lot at 8pm whom I contacted over the internet :what::what:
But that is perfectly normal behavior for a gun nut like myself and others apparently on the gun forums online :)

If we can both make it to one of these OC dinners that'd be cool...I'm 19 as well so there'd be two "young" OCers there :cool: