• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to NRA range tomorrow morning

CRF250rider1000

imported post

nova wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Thanks guys! My dad will go with me some, but I just think it's dumb that I can't walk in and shoot without haveing someone 21 or older with me. My dad is out of town today so I just wanted to go practice and learn what I am doing. Hopefully I'll find another day to go this week hit me up if any of you are going and won't mind teaching a newb how to shoot:lol:
I knew the ammo thing of course so I brought my own. It just added to insult when he asked me how I got it there. I know my legal rights. I could have OC'd on my way there, but I had it locked in a case unloaded under the back seat out of my reach per Va law. I hated the way they treated me, it was like I was a child:banghead:

Yep I know what you mean...it's just the way our country is now...since they made the law 21 to purchase handguns and ammo for handguns at dealers, people assume that if you can't buy it from a dealer yourself then you can't own them...:banghead:

You shoulda heard one of my friends (who is pro gun but doesn't know much about the laws) thought I bought my one revolver illegally when I told him I bought it from a guy in a parking lot at 8pm whom I contacted over the internet :what::what:
But that is perfectly normal behavior for a gun nut like myself and others apparently on the gun forums online :)

If we can both make it to one of these OC dinners that'd be cool...I'm 19 as well so there'd be two "young" OCers there :cool:
Sounds good to me if I can get my dad to let me take the pistol:lol: He may say yes once I get some shooting time under my belt and knows that it is an OC meeting. We will have to see what he says when the time comes. Anyways I hope to make it out to the range tomorrow or something with my dad. I know NRA is closed tuesdays so it will have to be Blue Ridge if I were to go tomorrow.

nova

imported post

Oh I know what that's like...EDIT: LONG STORY SHORT...

I'll just have to talk to my father about me OCing with one of the guns I bought from him.

Wish I could join you but apparently Blue Ridge has a rule that reads

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
Children must be supervised at all times and will not be allowed to roam freely about the premises. No one under the age of age 21 may fire without an adult on the lane with them.
That's a shame...

Hey I just remembered that the Range I belong to (Gilberts) should be reopening tomorrow!! Horray I guess I can still go shooting tomorrow afterall! Can't wait to see how the renovated range/shop looks now! :cool:
[/font]

CRF250rider1000

imported post

nova wrote:

I'll just have to talk to my father about me OCing with one of the guns I bought from him.

Children must be supervised at all times and will not be allowed to roam freely about the premises. No one under the age of age 21 may fire without an adult on the lane with them.
That's a shame...

Hey I just remembered that the Range I belong to (Gilberts) should be reopening tomorrow!! Horray I guess I can still go shooting tomorrow afterall! Can't wait to see how the renovated range/shop looks now! :cool:
[/font]
Can I shoot a pistol without being 21 there? I would love to meet up with you tomorrow at that range if they did! It's only 30 min away from me just checked. I'd definitely be down. I just need targets which I think they sell there. I have 150rds that should be enough for my first shooting experience lol. Also it says range time is based on membership or something. Can I go without being a member. How much per lane per hour? Thanks!

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
nova wrote:

That's a shame...

[/font]
Can I shoot a pistol without being 21 there? I would love to meet up with you tomorrow at that range if they did! It's only 30 min away from me just checked. I'd definitely be down. I just need targets which I think they sell there. I have 150rds that should be enough for my first shooting experience lol. Also it says range time is based on membership or something. Can I go without being a member. How much per lane per hour? Thanks!
are you talking about Gilberts? I think you have to be 21 still, not positive though since I kinda just tagged along on my parent's membership...my member card says 21 on it so I guess that they have the same policy there as well, must be with someone 21 to shoot. I've always gone with either one of my parents or my brother, all of whom are over 21.

Crap...I really wish we had some public outdoor ranges around here like there are down in SW Virginia (national forest ranges).

CRF250rider1000

imported post

nova wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
nova wrote:

That's a shame...

[/font]
are you talking about Gilberts? I think you have to be 21 still, not positive though since I kinda just tagged along on my parent's membership...my member card says 21 on it so I guess that they have the same policy there as well, must be with someone 21 to shoot. I've always gone with either one of my parents or my brother, all of whom are over 21.

Crap...I really wish we had some public outdoor ranges around here like there are down in SW Virginia (national forest ranges).
I wish man my dad just isn't into shooting like I want to be. If I can get him to even go tomorrow I will probably just hit up blue ridge since it is 5 minutes from my house. I'll be 21 in a year and six months from today. I have a few friends with CHP's and people on here have offered to meet up with me so hopefully we can arrange range meet ups or something at NRA or Gilberts. That would be pretty cool.

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote
I wish man my dad just isn't into shooting like I want to be. If I can get him to even go tomorrow I will probably just hit up blue ridge since it is 5 minutes from my house. I'll be 21 in a year and six months from today. I have a few friends with CHP's and people on here have offered to meet up with me so hopefully we can arrange range meet ups or something at NRA or Gilberts. That would be pretty cool.
I have just about 2 years until I'm 21. Yeah my dad hasn't gone shooting with me since probably last fall...but I can't blame him, since it was around that time when he started dialysis. But the good thing is that the family and I will be making a trip up to PA sometime in a few weeks so we'll get to hit up my favorite outdoor range outside of Pittsburgh :)

Nothing quite like shooting out in the fresh air :cool:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

nova wrote
I have just about 2 years until I'm 21. Yeah my dad hasn't gone shooting with me since probably last fall...but I can't blame him, since it was around that time when he started dialysis. But the good thing is that the family and I will be making a trip up to PA sometime in a few weeks so we'll get to hit up my favorite outdoor range outside of Pittsburgh :)

Nothing quite like shooting out in the fresh air :cool:
Nice!

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Well I went to Blue Ridge with my dad today. He didn't want to shoot, but they made him pay anyways so it turned out to be 33 bucks for the both of us not including the ammo that I bought:banghead: It may be time for a family membership over at NRA:lol: We'll see what happens because I'm sure that I will be going with friends some too. Anyways it was a good first outing except for the fact that I was trying very hard to control my flinching. I noticed myself do it a couple times and I corrected it. Overall a very good outing though. 150rds and a blistered trigger finger later and I am a happy camper:)

nova

imported post

Blistered trigger finger? Those darn Glocks...:lol:

Glad you had fun...it will only get better! :cool:

Olivers_AR

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
150rds and a blistered trigger finger later and I am a happy camper:)
One of the modifications you might want to consider is to put a flat trigger in the G19 as opposed to the serrated trigger. Its an cheap easy modification.

--Olivers_AR

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Thanks! I am trying to work on my dry fire technique as I write this. I am trying to nip this flinching thing in the bud you know. :banghead: I have read many many places that dry firing a Glock will not harm it at all. This is correct right? Either way I think I'm going to go down to blue ridge when I get back from work tomorrow and buy a pack of 9mm luger snap caps:lol:
Also found out that I had too little of my finger on the trigger which caused my shots to be off and also the blister:cuss:Oh well I am practicing my dry firing correctly now and that is working out well:lol:

nova

imported post

Nah you don't need snap caps to dry fire a Glock, they're good to go as is. Plus snap caps would get tiresome unless you only retract the slide enough to reset the trigger :D

Up until a few weeks ago I've been shooting wrong. I've been shooting with the joint of my finger on the trigger, which was causing me to make my targets look like I was shooting buckshot at them...last time or two I went shooting I used the correct position (the pad of the finger half way between the joint and fingertip) and I've been shooting much better since.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

nova wrote:
Nah you don't need snap caps to dry fire a Glock, they're good to go as is. Plus snap caps would get tiresome unless you only retract the slide enough to reset the trigger :D

Up until a few weeks ago I've been shooting wrong. I've been shooting with the joint of my finger on the trigger, which was causing me to make my targets look like I was shooting buckshot at them...last time or two I went shooting I used the correct position (the pad of the finger half way between the joint and fingertip) and I've been shooting much better since.
Yup! I was the opposite. I shot with the tip of m finger:banghead: Oh well I have the correct technique now and I have done like 50 dry fires tonight and will continue to every night that I can:celebrate

nova

imported post

well anothe advantage is it will improve the feel of that Glock trigger with more use (including dry firing) :)

PavePusher

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Well I went and took my range test and all. I come back to the counter and give them my id and all and he asks how old I am. I told him I'm 19 and then the woman says "so are you going to be shooting a rifle today?" I reliped with "no, I will be shooting this" (Pointing to the Glock 19 on my hip. Well I got the:what:You can't shoot that without someone 21 and we wont sell you ammo and how did you transport it here because the police will get you? Ugh people must think I am stupid because I'm 19. I know the fricking law!!! I calmy replied that I had it locked in a case unloaded under the back seat of my truck per VA law and that I had it holsterd on my hip when I came in and that there was no mag in it. This is so dumb. I am 19 and can legally walk around VA with a pisol strapped to my hip, but I am not allowed to practice how to use it:cuss:Anyways I am very mad right now because no where on the NRA website did it say this and the signs posted said they could not sell handgun ammo to anyone under 21, which I knew and had 150rds with me. I had to keep a level head obviously, but I was so mad that they told me I could not shoot a handgun.:banghead:

I'm going to call them tomorrow and complain about this. Will also tell them I'd be willing to join the NRA as long as they support full gun rights for all military-age persons. I'll report my progress tomorrow.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Sounds good. I just can't see why they would not exercise the gun rights. It's the NRA for cripes sakes! :banghead: It may be their insurance that makes the policy I don't know but I would like to know why I am not allowed to exercise my right to shoot at a place that fights for our gun rights. I wish they would allow me to shoot by myself if I were a member or something that would be great, but I had no such luck with that either:cry: For now I'm just practicing my dry fire technique:lol: