• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pizza delivery man shot to death in Portsmouth

vbnative73

imported post

10:03 AM EDT on Friday, May 2, 2008

[size=-1]By 13News[/size]

PORTSMOUTH -- Two teenagers are charged in the murder of a pizza delivery driver last month.
Robert Edward Kiesewetter, 50, was shot around 11:00 p.m. on April 25 in the 5600 block of Craneybrook Lane. He was
delivering for Papa John's.

On Thursday, Jamal Lee Mingga, 18, and a 17-year-old were arrested and charged with first degree murder, robbery and use of a firearm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:banghead:I'm sick and tired of hearing about pizza deliverydrivers getting stabbed, shot, robbed, etc by armed thugs who don't care if the driver is only carrying $20. These guys order a pizza and wait for an unarmed target with cash to show up. At the risk of being fired, I CC'd at all times when I delivered pizza. I would think that somebody could write a law preserving both the rights of the drivers who want to carry and the rights of the pizza companies who don't want to be held accountable for the "rights" of the thugs who get shot while trying to rob their drivers. :idea:How about a "Don't ask, don't tell" law for armed delivery drivers? There has to be some common ground to meet on. There's thousands of smart lawyers out there. Too bad none of them deliver pizza to pay the bills, unlike 50-year old Robert Edward Kiesewetter.

Just venting my .02

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

One tactic that might start to have a ripple affect is this. The next time you call for a home pizza delivery, go ahead and place the order then just before you close the deal, ask the pizza order taker if they allow their drivers to carry firearms to protect themselves. If they answer no and/or give some stupid and ridiculous reason why this is against company policy, cancel your order like this. "Well then, please cancel my order. I will not order a pizza from a company which cares so little about the safety of its employees. I will take my business elsewhere and suggest to my firends and neighbors that they do the same for the same reason."

Then just drive to a local pizza place and order your pizza.. armed, of course.

For those of you who live in western Prince William County or Fauquier County, consider Spitony's in New Baltimore. Or if you are up for the drive, head to Front Royal and hit Melting Pot Pizza. Absolutely the best you will find. Totally unique and worth the drive.

Neplusultra

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
I only order from Chanello's. As far as I know they have not fired anyone who has defended themselves with a firearm. I think this has a lot to do with Officer Steven Rutherford from the Newport News police department being killed while posing undercover as a Chanello's driver.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/603-officer-steven-rutherford
Just spent an hour going over this site. It's interesting that all the officiers killed in Montgomery County (Blacksburg area) were killed with their or another officier's weapon. An officer in need is one of the reasons that caused me to decide to CC/OC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

mobeewan wrote:
I only order from Chanello's. As far as I know they have not fired anyone who has defended themselves with a firearm.
I wonder if anywhere in this world there is a pizza company that encourages their delivery drivers to be protected. Can you imagine armored car companies (i.e. Brinks or Wells Fargo) telling their drivers that it was against company policy to carry a gun and that they would be subject to dismissal if they did?

I googled this fom many aspects and came up empty.

A pizza or twenty dollars may not be worth somebody's life but then again I'm not the one making the choice - if you pull a weapon on me, you demonstrate your opinion of the value of human life, both mine and your own.

Yata hey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

vbnative73 wrote:

PORTSMOUTH -- Two teenagers are charged in the murder of a pizza delivery driver last month.
Robert Edward Kiesewetter, 50, was shot around 11:00 p.m. on April 25 in the 5600 block of Craneybrook Lane. He was
Link??

Tacitus

imported post

I've called Pizza Hut and told them I'm no longer eating at any Yum Brands establishments until they value their employees and customers more than they do the criminals trying to rob them. Once I mentioned the name of the employee fired in Iowa (James Spiers), it was obvious that the customer service rep had had training on this 'incident'. Must have been a lot of calls on this one....

KnightSG7

imported post

Its getting pretty bad with employers and their employees safety.

I declined a local cab driver job because there was a weapon ban on all drivers, not even a leatherman allowed.

Too bad, $1500 - $3000 a week. Still would rather be armed.

LEO 229

imported post

hsmith wrote:
So sad someones life is stolen over $20 :(

Ya... people will kill for far less.

Some kill because you had far less than they expected to receive,

Ashley9812

On Thursday, Jamal Lee Mingga, 18, and a 17-year-old were arrested and charged with first degree murder, robbery and use of a firearm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:banghead:I'm sick and tired of hearing about pizza deliverydrivers getting stabbed, shot, robbed, etc by armed thugs who don't care if the driver is only carrying $20. These guys order a pizza and wait for an unarmed target with cash to show up. At the risk of being fired, I CC'd at all times when I delivered pizza. I would think that somebody could write a law preserving both the rights of the drivers who want to carry and the rights of the pizza companies who don't want to be held accountable for the "rights" of the thugs who get shot while trying to rob their drivers. :idea:How about a "Don't ask, don't tell" law for armed delivery drivers? There has to be some common ground to meet on. There's thousands of smart lawyers out there. Too bad none of them deliver pizza to pay the bills, unlike 50-year old Robert Edward Kiesewetter.

Just venting my .02

I was the person who ordered the pizza and it still haunts me today knowing that there were thugs just hanging around. I heard 4 gunshots and called 911. I am an emt and my first instinct was to run to see if someone was hurt, but I am trained to wait until the scene is safe. The two guys who shot him were in a gang that was nearby. The detective on the case told us about them and how one of them said he was happy that he killed him. I am still so pissed and upset about this man lost his life and those piece of **** guys only got 25 years. He worked for Papa Johns and from what I read a wonderful man. I feel so truly sorry I couldn't have saved this man and that I ordered the pizza. I think EVERY person who does delivery should open carry. The risk is so high for this line of work and also for convenience store employees. My mom lost a best friend who worked at 7-11 in a robbery. My mother herself did payroll and one night a man had broken into her car and when she got in he held her at knife point trying to get money he thought she was going to make a deposit after work. She jumped out while the car was moving and the guy ran after the car ran into other parked cars. Please stay safe everyone.

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO!

While it is against the rules to advise breaking laws, company policy is a different story. A piece of advice that most of us give here for interactions with police is KYBMS(keep your big mouth shut). This advice sometimes should also apply to the work environment.

solus

and the point of your post 8 years after the fact?

firemen are trained not to go into burning buildings ~ yet they do.

nice LEs are trained to not endanger themselves in rescue situations ~ yet they do.

EMTs are trained to save those citizen's injured, your agency's policies prohibit you from responding, not a legal standing ~ ...
that you have guilt for not responding is something you must and need to reconcile either through counseling
that you have guilt in your belief you set the death into motion by ordering a pizza is also something you need to reconcile either through counselling or ...

Bad Guys were caught, tried, and sentenced by a jury of their peers...sorry you do not like the outcome of their sentence.

please see my first sentence.

ipse

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was the person who ordered the pizza and it still haunts me today knowing that there were thugs just hanging around. I heard 4 gunshots and called 911. I am an emt and my first instinct was to run to see if someone was hurt, but I am trained to wait until the scene is safe. The two guys who shot him were in a gang that was nearby. The detective on the case told us about them and how one of them said he was happy that he killed him. I am still so pissed and upset about this man lost his life and those piece of **** guys only got 25 years. He worked for Papa Johns and from what I read a wonderful man. I feel so truly sorry I couldn't have saved this man and that I ordered the pizza. I think EVERY person who does delivery should open carry. The risk is so high for this line of work and also for convenience store employees. My mom lost a best friend who worked at 7-11 in a robbery. My mother herself did payroll and one night a man had broken into her car and when she got in he held her at knife point trying to get money he thought she was going to make a deposit after work. She jumped out while the car was moving and the guy ran after the car ran into other parked cars. Please stay safe everyone.

Thank you for joining and contributing with your side of the story. There can be no second guessing what anyone would do in that situation.

In addition to the charges against the murderers, I hope there was a lawsuit against the pizza company's policy forcing their employees (who drive their own vehicles) to be unarmed, but I'll bet there wasn't.