• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC hassles in Arizona

Old Uncle Ho

imported post

For what it's worth, I've been on the verge of OC for some time. I've actually never seen anyone carrying. Guess I didn't want to attract attention. I have (for what it's worth) worn my holster. When I get back I plan to OC and support the movement.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Old Uncle Ho wrote:
For what it's worth, I've been on the verge of OC for some time. I've actually never seen anyone carrying. Guess I didn't want to attract attention. I have (for what it's worth) worn my holster. When I get back I plan to OC and support the movement.

Support your own God given right to self defense! It's not that traumatic... well... maybe if yer not used to it. After awhile it becomes 2nd nature. BUT... never get complacent. I've figured somethin' out tho...I think.

If ya look more like a cowboy than a gangsta or mall ninja... nobody notices much. (Fer gawd sake don't wear sneakers or them :cuss:sandals 'n shortswith a cowboy hat.) Dressin' western 'n OC heeled is like bread 'n butter. Brings the noobs into the proper sense of where they are. (IT ain't Miami)

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Old Uncle Ho wrote:

Support your own God given right to self defense! It's not that traumatic... well... maybe if yer not used to it. After awhile it becomes 2nd nature. BUT... never get complacent. I've figured somethin' out tho...I think.

If ya look more like a cowboy than a gangsta or mall ninja... nobody notices much. (Fer gawd sake don't wear sneakers or them :cuss:sandals 'n shortswith a cowboy hat.) Dressin' western 'n OC heeled is like bread 'n butter. Brings the noobs into the proper sense of where they are. (IT ain't Miami)
Ha. This reminds of something that happened to me years and years ago (1980?) in Prescott. Went with some friends to eat dinner at the Village Inn (no longer around - bummer), and, as usual, wearing my Blackhawk .357 on my belt.

We ordered food, ate and were getting ready to leave (i.e. waiting for the check). During this time, some people who were sitting in the booth across from us (obviously not from AZ) finally noticed that *I* *HAD* *A* *GUN*! They obviously became very "concerned", and when their waitress returned, one of them said to her, "That man has a gun!" Without missing a beat, or even turning around, she said, "That's OK, we have a lot of cowboys around here!" Interestingly enough, this calmed them right down.

When I left, I stopped the waitress and gave her ten bucks for handling the situation so well. It was great.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

My wife 'n I had breakfast in the Hotel facility... the Precottonian of Gurley St. 'Lotta CA tags on vehicles in the parkin' lot. The 'stares' were hysterical. I carry cross-draw forward on my left hip. (Condition 3) The thumb break is over the cocked hammer. This woman next to us... I could tell was havin' palpitations... :shock: She had that 'earth look'... thing goin' on. I look like a 19th century cowboy anyway... Maybe she thought she was inna time warp. I reckon if I'd said 'BOO' she'da come clean outta her skin.

We went up there for the Arizona Cowboy Poet thing... My first time... 'n prob'ly last. It's misnamed... 'Ought'a be the Prescott Big Hat Poet thing. Ennyhoo... 'gave me a chance to work on my delivery. I write some really good stuff... in comparison. (So I was told...there.)

I carry my SAA .45 in the same positon. 'Can't carry on Yavapai campus... orI would'a.

AZkopper

imported post

It's funny, every now and again I get flagged down by anervous citizen (usually a Californian, but occasionally a Phoenician) about "some guy with a GUN". My first question is always "was he pointing it at anyone, or waving it around?", the answer is always (thankfully) 'no'. Next question is always "your not from Arizona, are you?" I then go on to tell them the legality of it all.

You'd be amazed at the number of locals (or at least 'new' locals) who call to complain of someone 'shooting in the hills behind my house'. After speaking to them, and determining that 1) They live in an unincorporated area; and2)Either they can see the shooter-and he's doing it away from houses; or they can't see him, because he is shooting behind a ridge or hill; I tell them it is perfectly legal and not unsafe. They are almost always amazed. Even real Arizonians are getting Californicated.

It really is all of our jobs to make sure that OC in Arizona is not forgotten, or becomes "legal but harassed" due to lack of use (as in some states).

Sonora Rebel

imported post

You might think the 'media' might do some sort of public service 'message' to inform people that 'people with holstered guns' is legal in AZ. They don't... 'never.

Michigander

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
are almost always amazed. Even real Arizonians are getting Californicated.

It really is all of our jobs to make sure that OC in Arizona is not forgotten, or becomes "legal but harassed" due to lack of use (as in some states).
The valley already is legal but harassed. That is, we are prohibited from going into certain stores, and we get asked to leave others without signs. Much more so than any other state I've ever been to. I think it's crucially important that we OC everywhere we can. We also need to encourage other people who maybe never considered OCing to get into it.

The way I see it is that if a ton of Southern Californians living in AZ learn to accept open carrying as a good thing, they will talk to friends back in Cali, and maybe make them more pro gun. My home state of Michigan is a very clear example of how far reaching we can become if we're really strongly active, and try to get press coverage of meet ups.

Michigander

imported post

A Sonora Rebel wrote:
Who... specifically has asked you to 'leave'?
A Hungry Howies on Glendale and 70 something Ave, right near the walmart.

As has been said many times on this site, open carry long enough, and it will happen.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Michigander wrote:
A Sonora Rebel wrote:
Who... specifically has asked you to 'leave'?
A Hungry Howies on Glendale and 70 something Ave, right near the walmart.

As has been said many times on this site, open carry long enough, and it will happen.
Hungry Howies is a pizza joint. Do they serve beer on the premises? If so... that's the reason.

Michigander

imported post

Nope. Besides, that one has no place to sit and eat. It's carry out only. I'm very careful not to carry into places that sell booze for on site consumption.

Nick603

imported post

Hi everyone..:cool:. I'm new to Tucson, AZ..and new to OC.

I plan on OC'ing my Glock 23 around town. Any advice? (I did read the "Laws" blue book).

I Love it here in Tucson...the people here are the coolest people I've ever met, and the fact that I can OC a weapon here is really great.

I'm originally from N.J. (yeah..I know...horrible isn't it?!), where 'ya can't even carry a paper clip. Seig heil NJ....LOL! :banghead::cuss:.

This is a cool site, too.

Nick603

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Nick603 wrote:
Hi everyone..:cool:. I'm new to Tucson, AZ..and new to OC.

I plan on OC'ing my Glock 23 around town. Any advice? (I did read the "Laws" blue book).

I Love it here in Tucson...the people here are the coolest people I've ever met, and the fact that I can OC a weapon here is really great.

I'm originally from N.J. (yeah..I know...horrible isn't it?!), where 'ya can't even carry a paper clip. Seig heil NJ....LOL! :banghead::cuss:.

This is a cool site, too.

Nick603
Advice? Wear it like it was part of you... wear it everyday... everywhere. You'll get used to it.'Glad to see you managed to escape.

kenpoprofessor

imported post

Wow, I had forgotten I had signed up here and they had this forum for AZ :uhoh:

I OC just about every place I go, even with a CCP. I recently tested the waters at Honda dealers while looking for a new Ridgeline. I OCd in, nobody acted like they noticed until I saw the dealer glance at my hip. I didn't say anything then cuz he went in the side room to talk to his manager about the deal I was asking for. When he came back, I told him it wasa Model 30 Glock .45. He then said the guys in the back were asking about it :cool:. What I found amazing is, the salesmen gave me no pressure at all, andactually told the truth, didn't try to pad the numbers, and I was rock solid on my requirements. They all told me sorry, we can't make you a deal so I left. I didn't spend hours with the salesman looking at stuff I didn't want or quoting prices out of thin air. Compared to my last experience with new car salesmen in CA, it was night and day.

I also had it in my mind that if any of the personel working there asked me to put my gun away I would leave and take my business elsewhere. One guy did ask me to cover my weapon as he said they didn't allow it (I looked for no firearm signs when I walked in and there weren't any). I told him if I had to cover it, I would leave right then, if they couldn't respect my rights as a citizen, I had no business buying a car from them. He didn't say another word about it and we continued to haggle (Arrowhead Honda BTW)

Robert A. Heinlein An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

The above statement is absolutely true, and I've experienced first hand how a visible firearm keeps people very polite, as I was/am.

So far, no hassles whatsoever with OCing, and most times I do it to initiate the OC aspects of our law to the citizens. I don't think most know it's legal, and when they find out it is, they're like cool, I can do that? I've also had tons of interactions with LEOs while OCing, they were super cool about it. Thank Ahura Mazda I left that wacky CA.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde