• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC hassles in Arizona

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just curious, has anyone been hassled by LE for open carrying in Arizona? I've spoken with several officers here and none seem to have a problem with it. Any 'not good' experiences?

Dahwg

imported post

I think the silence speaks for itself. I think OC in AZ is a point of pride in the state. Though some of the sheeplemay merely tolerate it, most know it's legal. Most of the LEOs don't seem to have a problem with it at all.

mhemu

imported post

I've passed by several LEOs without them giving me a second glance. The more I carry, the less I feel like I'll be hassled by an LEO. Local security has been a bit more cautious when they spot me, but even still, no issues with them.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Am I right in thinking you still have to stay out of any establishment that sells liquor? Kinda restrictive. Still better than our current Texas law.

mhemu

imported post

Gotta steer clear of places that sell liqour to be consumed on the grounds. Selling alcohol not to be consumed on site, such as liqour stores, gas stations, convenience stores etc is not a problem. Aside from that, you're free to carry where ever you want, barring the usual gov't buildings, schools, etc that most states restrict.

77Peugeot

imported post

I've never been hassled by an LEO... However, because I live in a progressive arts district, being hassled by neighbors and localsforced me into getting myCCW. I still OC depending on where I am but 'tuck it in' when I feel it might offend some hippies.

Michigander

imported post

I think the hippy areas are the most important places to OC. The hippy types are the ones who messed up open carry. Society lost its way at some point between now and the back when concealed carry was considered pointless. It's our job to make it like it was back in the day in other states, and keep it that way in Arizona.

freesignal

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I think the hippy areas are the most important places to OC. The hippy types are the ones who messed up open carry. Society lost its way at some point between now and the back when concealed carry was considered pointless. It's our job to make it like it was back in the day in other states, and keep it that way in Arizona.

Exactly.

curtm1911

imported post

Yep, ain't nothing funnier than watching a hippie type pee all over themselves and sputter while trying to say something insulting to you about your firearm.:celebrateHA HA (Nelson Muntz, from The Simpsons) Another thing, it seems the bigger the gun, the more liquid is let flow too, funny how that works out. They really get soaked when they see my Redhawk on my hip. I LOVE ARIZONA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Redhawk .44 Magnum  1.JPG
    Redhawk .44 Magnum 1.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 1,442

77Peugeot

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I'd agree, except that a lot of these people are my friends and as chairman of the Seventh Avenue First Friday Committee I have to work side by side with people thatsincerely fear guns. It's unfortunate, but I have to draw a line between taking a stand and not be ostracised. I've invited a few locals to the range with me, and have managed to change a few minds, but there's only so much I can do.

curtm1911

imported post

77Peugeot,

You are doing the right thing, change one mind at a time and soon the word spreads and before you know it, you just might have more converts than you realize. Keep up the good work. I do the same thing whenever I can, let them SEE for themselves that guns are NOT EVIL, only people are evil.:celebrateAre any of these misbehaving? Acting of their own volition? Doing Evil?

Attachments

• My Handguns 1.JPG
    My Handguns 1.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,372

protector84

imported post

Some people really need to get a fix on reality. Several months ago I was "hassled" for carrying in a Starbucks. All of the employees and management there are cool with it and have even commented that they feel safer when they see decent responsible customers carrying in their store because it deters trouble. Some of them said they own firearms themselves and others said they plan on getting them. Anyway, one day I am chatting with one of the baristas who was making my huge mocha when a woman who was previously reading a book at a table suddenly flinched at the sight of the gun. Nobody else noticed or cared except her. Her face immediately turns a sickly type of white indicative of someone who is in a state offear to the point of being petrified. Her face remains fixed on the handgun for some time and then she starts looking around the room attempting to see if anyone else is noticing or reacting and then gives the employees a funny look who also don't mind. Then she gives me another long fixed stare at which I decide to turn and give her a funny look back (indicating that I'm noticing that she is being rude by staring at me). She quickly turns away. Next thing you know, her white face turns a beet red and her eyes begin to fill up with tears.

She finally has the courage to engage in asilly dialogue with me:

Woman: Are you a cop?

Me: No.

(face turns white again followed by long pause)

Woman: Is that gun fake?

Me: No.

(face turns back to teary again, another long pause)

Woman: What are you carrying a gun for? Does that make you feel safer?

Me: Yes it does. However, the best tool for self-protection is your brain. A gun or other weapon is simply an added tool.

Woman: Oh.

(she finally calms down and begins to look somewhat normal again but never quite exactly the same)

That was the end of the conversation as my coffee was ready at this point and I left. Sometimes, though, I feel like saying to these people just point blank: "Lady! Doyourselfa favor andturn off your TV set and get a grip on reality. Thanks."

curtm1911

imported post

Yup, sheeple are hilarious sometimes. They wallow, grovel,and try to appear in control of themselves, but they need to change their underwear SOON.I LOVE to watch them do the above mentioned things, remember; "Live Entertainment is your Best Money Value".

protector84

imported post

A few days ago or so some 15-year old girl walked up to me and said "Guns are evil!" and then ran away real fast before I could say anything. She probably thought I was going to shoot her for saying that. Next time that happens, I'm going to yell "Shoot your TV." In many ways I think the TV is the main source for these anti-gun attitudes.

On a positive note, I saw a few 18-22 year old girls who were smiling at me and one came up to me and said, "That gun is hot!." I almost wanted to ask her for her number! Imagine the first date taking place at the local range! :)

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Funny you say that, I had a nice young woman @ Walmart tell me I looked very good with my gun. This was after I assured her I was not LEO.;)

crtbc

imported post

I took a girl on a first date to a trap shoot LOL

back on topic.... I was shopping at walmart and was stopped by a man from chicago... asked if I could turn slightly so he could see my pistol, he promptly turned and said hmmm taurus 1911 huh, how do you like it...to which we had a cool convo with his wife in amazment and he said he loved the fact that people open carry in az, he plans to do so in the near future...

Most of the time leaving the store at the local walmart I get that stare at your gun look as I'm leaving from the person who stands at the door and says "have a good day"

LOL

Michigander

imported post

I was mistaken for a cop yesterday. Some 17-20 year old Mexican who wasn't accustomed to OC obviously went and hid his beer real fast. :lol:

Most people don't make that mistake though. I wear work pants, beat up work shirts, boots, and a straw hat. I don't look like any AZ cop that I've seen, but maybe they dress that way in Mexico?

protector84

imported post

I won't forget the time I left Walmart at about 1 am where I was also mistaken for a cop. I walk past four Mexicans loitering by their truck in the parking lot and one of them looks at me and says, "Need some coke." I turned and looked back at them after that was said. Suddenly, the phrase was repeated only this time, "Need some tamales." I continued walking without answering them. They obviously had to rephrase the question after they learned that what they thought they saw was indeed what they thought they saw on my hip.

John Skookum

imported post

I've worn a handgun openly in Arizona many times. The only time I was hassled at all was once when I was in Char's Thai restaurant in Tempe picking up some takeout.

Char's employees didn't bat an eye at the Browning HP on my belt, but another customer paying her bill went absolutely goggle-eyed when she saw it. After staring for a while she said, "Are you a cop or something?" "No ma'am," I responded. "I'm a private citizen."

She took a step back and looked very alarmed. "What are you doing with that gun? Is this a hold-up?" "No ma'am, I'm just picking up some dinner for my family." "Well someone ought to call the police on you!"

At this point, the people she was with started snickering, and one of them said "Welcome to Arizona, Bonnie." Then they turned to me and asked me to excuse her, she was visiting from California and had no idea I was following the law. She looked very sheepish and flustered, and snapped something unpleasant that I didn't catch as they went out the door.

If you live here for a month or two, you'll get used to seeing open carry even in the big city.