• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carrying my gun over state line

slowzx320

imported post

Ive been searching but i dont know if im going in the right direction. Im going to Holland, Michigan next month andi want to know the rules for that. Thanks for helping the newby.

nwi40cal

imported post

Whats goin' on Slow? I am pretty sure Michigan honors Indiana carry permits... As to how you have to carry it depending or on thier laws, I am not sure. I am a little newer too, but welcome to OCDO

Ford Truck

Franklin Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, USA
imported post

If you have an Indiana License To Carry Handgun, it's good in Michigan. Open carry without a license is legal in Michigan, but you need your license to open carry in your vehicle. You can conceal carry in Michigan with and Indiana license. I attended the open carry picnic in Lansing last wk. I drove up from Indiana. It was good.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

slowzx320 wrote:
Ive been searching but i dont know if im going in the right direction. Im going to Holland, Michigan next month andi want to know the rules for that. Thanks for helping the newby.

You need a CPL from your home state to bring in a handgun. The email below is from the Michigan State Police. If you have a permit from your state you can carry openly or concealed with the restrictions covered by MI law. If you don't have a concealed permit, you can't use a handgun in MI. Federal law allows you to transport it through states when unloaded and locked.

Mr. Jeffs,

Michigan law requires that a person obtain a License to Purchase a pistol (MCL 28.422) before possessing a pistol in this state. Once a person buys a pistol with a License to Purchase, it must be safety inspected (MCL 28.429). Only residents of Michigan are eligible for licenses and safety inspections. Because a non-resident cannot satisfy those requirements they cannot lawfully possess a pistol here (for any purpose).

Exceptions to those requirements are found in MCL 28.432. One of those exceptions is for persons licensed by their state of residence to carry a concealed pistol.

Sincerely,

Sgt. Thomas Deasy

Michigan State Police

Executive Resource Section

714 S. Harrison Rd.

East Lansing, MI 48823

(517) 336-6441

tattedupboy

imported post

Venator wrote:
slowzx320 wrote:

You need a CPL from your home state to bring in a handgun. The email below is from the Michigan State Police. If you have a permit from your state you can carry openly or concealed with the restrictions covered by MI law. If you don't have a concealed permit, you can't use a handgun in MI. Federal law allows you to transport it through states when unloaded and locked.

Mr. Jeffs,

Michigan law requires that a person obtain a License to Purchase a pistol (MCL 28.422) before possessing a pistol in this state. Once a person buys a pistol with a License to Purchase, it must be safety inspected (MCL 28.429). Only residents of Michigan are eligible for licenses and safety inspections. Because a non-resident cannot satisfy those requirements they cannot lawfully possess a pistol here (for any purpose).

Exceptions to those requirements are found in MCL 28.432. One of those exceptions is for persons licensed by their state of residence to carry a concealed pistol.

Sincerely,

Sgt. Thomas Deasy

Michigan State Police

714 S. Harrison Rd.

East Lansing, MI 48823

(517) 336-6441

As far as I know, the requirement that someone bring a permit or license from their home state only applies to people who carry concealed or in their vehicles. Open carry whle on foot, whether by a resident or nonresident, is not affected by this.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Venator wrote:
slowzx320 wrote:

Mr. Jeffs,

Sincerely,

Sgt. Thomas Deasy

Michigan State Police

714 S. Harrison Rd.

East Lansing, MI 48823

(517) 336-6441

As far as I know, the requirement that someone bring a permit or license from their home state only applies to people who carry concealed or in their vehicles. Open carry whle on foot, whether by a resident or nonresident, is not affected by this.
Not true according the the Michigan State Police, backed-up by state law. The letter states that to posses a handgun in Michigan you MUST have a license to purchase and a Michigan safety inspection. Since Non-residents CAN NOT get a license to purchase and a safety inspection they fail to met the requirement of the law and therefore CANNOT posses or use a handgun in Michigan without a CPL from their home state. Pretty straight forward.

tattedupboy

imported post

Venator wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:
Venator wrote:
slowzx320 wrote:

Mr. Jeffs,

Sincerely,

Sgt. Thomas Deasy

Michigan State Police

714 S. Harrison Rd.

East Lansing, MI 48823

(517) 336-6441

Not true according the the Michigan State Police, backed-up by state law. The letter states that to posses a handgun in Michigan you MUST have a license to purchase and a Michigan safety inspection. Since Non-residents CAN NOT get a license to purchase and a safety inspection they fail to met the requirement of the law and therefore CANNOT posses or use a handgun in Michigan without a CPL from their home state. Pretty straight forward.
Thank goodness I won't ever have to worry about that, due to the fact that I just received my lifetime Indiana LTC this week; will never have to pay another penny in renewal fees, and as long as I remain an Indiana resident, and Michigan continues to honor every state's resident permits, I'm good to go until the day I die:celebrate.

bobcat

imported post

I'll second your opinion on the Michigan Law. Once upon a time, waaaaay back when, Michigan was the ONLY state that had reciprocity with Indiana on firearms permits.

Thank goodness I won't ever have to worry about that, due to the fact that I just received my lifetime Indiana LTC this week; will never have to pay another penny in renewal fees, and as long as I remain an Indiana resident, and Michigan continues to honor every state's resident permits, I'm good to go until the day I die:celebrate.
Isn't that Lifetime LTCH sweet? No more fees and the minor humiliation of being fingerprinted like a criminal every four years. Thank you Second Amendment Patriots for championing the cause.

And tattedupboy, may you live long and prosper.;)