• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cleared Leather

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

By the way, Mainsail.

That bite looks exactly what I would imagine as a "herding" bite. A nip at the back of the leg. It looks like she got you with the little front teeth.

I suspect she took those furry legs to be sheep legs. :) She was probably surprised you didn't bleat.

I'm kinda guessing that she realized she'd done wrong and decided to lay down (lay low). When they've done well and are proud, they tend to prance and trot around. Pat themselves on the back and feel proud, as it were.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
PT111 wrote:
SNIP but if ever another dog starts gnawing on my leg or my child I will not hesitate to kill it if I am able.
Gnawing on my leg would get it shot. I'm as much concerned about the child's trauma at seeing their dog killed as I am about my own skin.

My tactics call forescalation,including loudly commanding the dog to cease, aggressive posture, and kicking. Mostwill back offbefore needing to resortto pepper spray or gunfire.
A lot of dogs will turn tail and run if you pick up or pretend to pick up a rock and threaten to throw it. Worked like a charm about 80 to 90 percent of the time I needed to, even from a pretty good distance... If nothing else it buys you a little more time to assess the situation.

Mainsail

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
Citizen wrote:
PT111 wrote:
SNIP but if ever another dog starts gnawing on my leg or my child I will not hesitate to kill it if I am able.
Gnawing on my leg would get it shot. I'm as much concerned about the child's trauma at seeing their dog killed as I am about my own skin.

My tactics call forescalation,including loudly commanding the dog to cease, aggressive posture, and kicking. Mostwill back offbefore needing to resortto pepper spray or gunfire.
A lot of dogs will turn tail and run if you pick up or pretend to pick up a rock and threaten to throw it. Worked like a charm about 80 to 90 percent of the time I needed to, even from a pretty good distance... If nothing else it buys you a little more time to assess the situation.

Well, in my situation (on the bike) it wouldn’t have been practical, or even necessary. There was a whole park full of tender tasty children on the dog’s menu, but he expressed little interest. It was the up and down movement of my legs and my ground speed that piqued his curiosity. ;)

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
Citizen wrote:
PT111 wrote:

Well, in my situation (on the bike) it wouldn’t have been practical, or even necessary. There was a whole park full of tender tasty children on the dog’s menu, but he expressed little interest. It was the up and down movement of my legs and my ground speed that piqued his curiosity. ;)
I was a bit off topic huh? Well I think you handled it well, and I hope nothing gets infected!

expvideo

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
Citizen wrote:
PT111 wrote:

Agreed. Dogs communicate through body language, and they have an expectation that when they present their dominant body language, you will present submissive body language. Most dogs will think twice about attacking someone with dominant body language. Picking up a rock and showing confident body language worries the dog, because it can see that you aren't afraid of it, like it thinks you should be.

I was once walking in a rural neighborhood, down a gravel road surrounded by trees, when two wild dogs (not wolves, just domestic mix breeds that were probably a generation or twostray) started down the same gravel road. They saw me and my friend walking, and started trotting quickly toward us from about 50 yards away. The hair on their backs stood up and they started to growl and bark as they picked up the pace. I moved more quickly toward my friend's pickup, which was parked about 25 yards ahead of us. We got close to the pickup, but the dogs were closing the distance, at about 20 yards, and I thought that this was more than enough. I stopped, flipped back my jacket, and drew my Sig P226 9mm. I pointed it at the lead dog and my finger went to the trigger. The dog immediately disengaged, and started running parallel to us instead of right at us. He turned around and trotted off. Seeing that the dog presented no more threat, I holstered my gun and called animal control.

I didn't want to fire, because it was 6:00am on a Sunday in this neighborhood and I didn't want to wake everyone up. In retrospect, I kind of wishI had, because animal control was closed and the sheriff's department wouldn't do anything, so for all I know these dogs are still out there terrorizing this neighborhood.

Anyway, the point of my story is that the dog sensed the change in my body language, when I went from submissive behavior (trying to escape), to dominant behavior (holding my ground). He could see that the worry immediately left my face. I doubt that the dog recognized what was in my hand for what it was, but he did recognize that whatever it was made me instantly not afraid of him. To the dog, this had to be as scary as if he knew what a handgun was and knew he was staring down the barrel of it.

It is important to display dominant body language to a dog, or they will take the dominant role.

(edit: spelling)

Bear 45/70

imported post

Watch the Dog Whisperer on the National Geographics channel. Yelling is a no-no, it can even escalate the dogs behavior to a higher level. Calm and assertive works ten times better. Watching him proves it too.

amlevin

imported post

It's too bad it is not legal to shoot some of these irresponsible dog owners and find the dogs a good home. In most cases a dog's bad behavior is the direct responsibility of the owner but the dog has to pay the price.

Trigger DR---

Point out to your mentally challenged neighbor that it is unlawful to threaten anyone with "legal action" if they are going about a legal activity. http://search.leg.wa.gov/pub/textsearch/ViewRoot.asp?Action=Html&Item=1&X=506194050&p=1

There is a good chance that the "easement" he refers to is actually recorded in the deed to the property you are (or were) living on.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Oh it was brought to their attention in a very expensive way. His "easement" is not an easement, but a driveway that is the staff of a "flag lot" However, I do have an easement by prescription as I have used the driveway in an open, continuous and hostile manner for more than 10 years. Under Wa Law this grants an non-possessory right of use.

Mainsail

imported post

I got the rig recommended by Decoligny and Fox Labs pepper spray; mounted it to the handlebars:

b5478d00-8d2c-49f8-8a4a-9025aae50e57.jpg

fbacddba-1381-40ee-a83b-c29b83c3b6be.jpg

It’s a little hard to see in the first pic, but it removes with two small but strong snaps. My leg has almost completely healed. That Neosporin is good stuff!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As soon as the dogs see that rig, they're going to be looking for counter-measures. I'm going to open the firstdoggie gas-mask concession in Tacoma. :)

I'll make a fortune in bones, frisbees, and chew-toys.

I'll set up right inside the park. I'll only sell to dogs at least big enough to reach a rider's ankles at the bottom of the circle.

Sorry, daschunds. Your're out of luck. You'll have to go for the tires.

Mainsail,

If you see two collies tugging ona long black strip suddenly lay it down in front of you, steer clear. That'll be the spike-strip.

ralphb72

imported post

So what I am reading here is ALWAYS carry your pistol when you are cleaning your rifle or messing around in your garage.

I too have been confronted by loose dogs in my neighborhood. I too was empty handed at the time. Now I carry a pepper spray, a gun, and a knife should the other two fail me. NEVER AGAIN.

I hava a dog, I would shoot my own dog if it attacked someone, so I would not hesitate to spray and or shoot someone else's dog if it were attacking me.

The DOGS that confronted me are gone from here now, but there is a shepherd down the street that hates me. The owners are very nice, I used to pat it when he was a pup, but since I got my dog and started walking it around, it hates me now. If I even drive by in the car and say hi to it, it starts barking like crazy. It is inside a fence, but I fear it could easily jump the fence if he wated too and then I will have to shoot it. That would be a shame too because the people are very nice and they do keep him inside the fence. It would be a shame, but I have seen how viscious this dog can be up close so I will not hesitate.

Bear 45/70

imported post

ralphb72 wrote:
So what I am reading here is ALWAYS carry your pistol when you are cleaning your rifle or messing around in your garage.

I too have been confronted by loose dogs in my neighborhood. I too was empty handed at the time. Now I carry a pepper spray, a gun, and a knife should the other two fail me. NEVER AGAIN.

I hava a dog, I would shoot my own dog if it attacked someone, so I would not hesitate to spray and or shoot someone else's dog if it were attacking me.

The DOGS that confronted me are gone from here now, but there is a shepherd down the street that hates me. The owners are very nice, I used to pat it when he was a pup, but since I got my dog and started walking it around, it hates me now. If I even drive by in the car and say hi to it, it starts barking like crazy. It is inside a fence, but I fear it could easily jump the fence if he wated too and then I will have to shoot it. That would be a shame too because the people are very nice and they do keep him inside the fence. It would be a shame, but I have seen how viscious this dog can be up close so I will not hesitate.
You don't have a clue about dogs and their behavior. The threats made here make it clear you plan on killing the dog which will cost you when you get sued.

John Hardin

imported post

ralphb72 wrote:
...there is a shepherd down the street that hates me. The owners are very nice, I used to pat it when he was a pup, but since I got my dog and started walking it around, it hates me now. If I even drive by in the car and say hi to it, it starts barking like crazy.
When we first moved into our current house the neighbor's dog acted much like that, barked and chased our car whenever we drove up the cul-de-sac past their house. We started buying big dog biscuits and giving them to him, and he soon fell madly in love with us.

See if he's susceptible to bribery.

tarzan1888

imported post

I love my dog. he is almost human, but he is a dog.

When I was a young man I was walking down the beach with two co-workers, we were not in beach clothes.

A couple of girls were sun bathing up beach. We noticed. Their big collie noticed us.

It jumped up, ran and bit me on the leg.

The best part of the whole thing was the girls jumping up to get the dog almost lost their tops, but I digress.

The bite didn't tare my pants, so I went on my way.

It was later that day that I found that it had broken the skin similarly to the OP's bite.

I have been charged by a lot of dogs.

Body language always worked, except this one time.

I am no longer a young man.

You know the saying about picking a fight with an old man.

I don't believe in less than lethal forms of defence....to many things can go wrong.

Me or mine threatened by a dog...any dog....Dead Dog.

Tarzan

ralphb72

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:

When I was a young man I was walking down the beach with two co-workers, we were not in beach clothes.

I don't believe in less than lethal forms of defence....to many things can go wrong.

Tarzan

You obviously don't know anything about dogs or beaches or girls....

Just kidding!!!!:lol:

That's the way someone responded to me damn I DO feel jumped on, never felt that way here before, many other forums but never here. So I will say what I have to say and won't be back to this thread.:what:

In reverse order, Yes I read the original post, I was not responding to that one, just to the other people who like me were empty handed when their confrontation happened. And before you ask, I was not jumping on them, notice I also was empty handed.

OK, I will try the bribery with this dog, as I said, the people there are very nice and go to my Church so I would hate to have any type of incident with their dog. Good Idea, thanks.

Bear, You do NOT know me, so if you have something to say to me, either pepper it with a little bit of kindness or kindly address your comments elswhere. For twelve years, I walked thru people's yards almost every day and I have yet to be bit, and I have yet to have to use my spray. ON one occasion I had my finger on the trigger and starting to depress (pepper spray) and the owner came running outside and got between me and the dog. Every other incident I have handled without the use of a defensive weapon. I know all about the fear biter, the agressive biter and the sneaky ones that you really have to watch out for that don't even bark. And it didn't come from a tv show, but from real life. I actually did think about wether or not to make the comments that I did in my previous post in case something did happen with this dog, but mostly I avoid that area of the neighborhood now, if I do have to spray or shoot the dog, I have no doubt that I will be justified in doing so I didn't make it 12 years in the Army, and 12 years in my profession by being impulsive.

Mostly I thought I could contribute to the conversation and maybee get some other perspectives. For me this conversation is over.

Bear 45/70

imported post

ralphb72 wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:

Tarzan

You obviously don't know anything about dogs or beaches or girls....

Just kidding!!!!:lol:

That's the way someone responded to me damn I DO feel jumped on, never felt that way here before, many other forums but never here. So I will say what I have to say and won't be back to this thread.:what:

In reverse order, Yes I read the original post, I was not responding to that one, just to the other people who like me were empty handed when their confrontation happened. And before you ask, I was not jumping on them, notice I also was empty handed.

OK, I will try the bribery with this dog, as I said, the people there are very nice and go to my Church so I would hate to have any type of incident with their dog. Good Idea, thanks.

Bear, You do NOT know me, so if you have something to say to me, either pepper it with a little bit of kindness or kindly address your comments elswhere. For twelve years, I walked thru people's yards almost every day and I have yet to be bit, and I have yet to have to use my spray. ON one occasion I had my finger on the trigger and starting to depress (pepper spray) and the owner came running outside and got between me and the dog. Every other incident I have handled without the use of a defensive weapon. I know all about the fear biter, the agressive biter and the sneaky ones that you really have to watch out for that don't even bark. And it didn't come from a tv show, but from real life. I actually did think about wether or not to make the comments that I did in my previous post in case something did happen with this dog, but mostly I avoid that area of the neighborhood now, if I do have to spray or shoot the dog, I have no doubt that I will be justified in doing so I didn't make it 12 years in the Army, and 12 years in my profession by being impulsive.

Mostly I thought I could contribute to the conversation and maybee get some other perspectives. For me this conversation is over.
So which are we to believe??? That the dog scares the cra out of you to the point of feeling you need to shoot it or you are so dog wise from years of going into yards where dogs are? It can't be both and they were your words not mine.

MetalChris

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
ralphb72 wrote:

You don't have a clue about dogs and their behavior. The threats made here make it clear you plan on killing the dog which will cost you when you get sued.

What threats?

I tell you what, it's refreshing to have someone here that's an expert on everything...