• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting Down Gun Myths

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Good post.

btw - tell your friends that the Mythbusters have put the lie to the "Shoot out the airplane window, get sucked out" myth!

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

I recently had a similar experience myself. I'm a truck driver and I was making a delivery at one of my customers and while my customer and I were having our daily conversation about the B.S. that is Chicago politics, one of my customer's customers walked up and said that he too thought Chicago was a shithole. I made the remark that if I am ever robbed and injured in Chicago I am suing the city for denying me the ability to protect myself. The gentleman who walked up then said 'Well, one thing I have to give Daley credit for is suing the gun manufacturers.' My customer looked at me and grinned as if to say 'Oh shit, he just said that to the wrong guy.' I very politely asked him his reasoning for suing the manufacturer of a legal product. He said we don't need all these handguns and the gunmakers should be held accountable. I told him you can't sue carmakers for what people do with cars. He said yes you can and that Ford had been sued for all the Mavericks that blew up in the 70's. I pointed out that that was a defective product and suing was justified as it would be with a defective firearm. I reminded him that you can't sue Ford, however, if I decided to take my Ranger and drive down a city sidewalk at 45 mph and kill a bunch of pedestrians. He agreed that that would be preposterous. I then looked him squarely in the face and said that it was equally preposterous to sue a gunmaker for manufacturing a product that performed as it was designed to. He said nothing after that. Score one for the good guys!

Deanimator

imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
I recently had a similar experience myself. I'm a truck driver and I was making a delivery at one of my customers and while my customer and I were having our daily conversation about the B.S. that is Chicago politics, one of my customer's customers walked up and said that he too thought Chicago was a shithole.
I'm from Chicago.

I like to point out to people what you see when you take Amtrak into Chicago. EVERY home that can afford it has an 8' high iron fence and bars on all of the doors and windows. Growing up at 69th and Indiana Ave. in the '60s, we had the same thing, plus a steel prop rod against our front door to keep home invaders from kicking our door in. From the train coming in from Indiana, the entire way to the station looks like a prison for Black people. That's what society looks like when nobody has the right to defend themselves.

You live in a town with a prison in it. I'm from a prison with a town in it...

Flintlock

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
I recently had a similar experience myself. I'm a truck driver and I was making a delivery at one of my customers and while my customer and I were having our daily conversation about the B.S. that is Chicago politics, one of my customer's customers walked up and said that he too thought Chicago was a shithole.
I'm from Chicago.

I like to point out to people what you see when you take Amtrak into Chicago. EVERY home that can afford it has an 8' high iron fence and bars on all of the doors and windows. Growing up at 69th and Indiana Ave. in the '60s, we had the same thing, plus a steel prop rod against our front door to keep home invaders from kicking our door in. From the train coming in from Indiana, the entire way to the station looks like a prison for Black people. That's what society looks like when nobody has the right to defend themselves.

You live in a town with a prison in it. I'm from a prison with a town in it...

That's horrible. Sounds like what I saw in Haiti in the late 80's, except without any trains... You must be/have been, on red alert at all times in that area..

Legba

imported post

The Cardinal runs through town here. I'll take some pics the next time I roll through Chicago.

-ljp