• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol in car at an airport?

Peacemaker

imported post

Is it lawful to have a pistol in the car while picking someone up from an airport in Alabama (specifically Birmingham)? I have a carry license from a reciprocal state.

kurtmax_0

imported post

IANAL...

But you should be fine. IIRC you can even carry a pistol into an airport at most states. Just not into the 'secure area'.

I know you can carry into the General Aviation terminal and onto the tarmac (if you are a pilot, or have the pilot's approval).

Peacemaker

imported post

I am am also not a lawyer, especially not in Alabama law, and that's why I am asking. I cannot find anything that suggests that the drop-off/pickup line at an airport would be off-limits. It appears that even carrying on public transportation is okay.

In my home State of Georgia, it is currently a felony to have a pistol in a car anywhere in the vicinity of a transportation terminal. For all practically purposes that means the entire airport property, including the parking lot and any roads are strictly off-limits. :banghead: Hopefully, that will soon change assuming that the Governor does not veto HB89.

ScottyT

imported post

I know Utah law merely prohibits guns from "secure areas", meaning nothing past the metal detectors. Technically I could meet someone at baggage claim OCing -- I would leave it in the car though.

Don't know about Alabama though...

ickthus

imported post

check your county sheriffs web site . i got this off fo mine.WARNING

Your pistol permit does not authorize you to carry a pistol while consuming alcohol or drugs.

Your pistol permit does not authorize you to carry a pistol inside an airport, courthouse or any other public building that specifically prohibits firearms. This includes city, state, and federal facilities.

Your pistol permit does not authorize you to carry a pistol at any public gathering such as sporting events, political events, parades, and etc. (Title 13A-11-59)

The Sheriff of Mobile County has the authority to issue, deny, and/or revoke a pistol permit at his discretion.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

ickthus wrote:
check your county sheriffs web site . i got this off fo mine.WARNING

Your pistol permit does not authorize you to carry a pistol while consuming alcohol or drugs.
Even though it is sound advice IMHO.....there is nothing even remotely like this in the Code of Alabama.

Your pistol permit does not authorize you to carry a pistol inside an airport, courthouse or any other public building that specifically prohibits firearms. This includes city, state, and federal facilities.
The State Legislature reserves ALL authority over handgun law...see CoA 11-45-1.1 and 11-80-11 for yourself here http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

Your pistol permit does not authorize you to carry a pistol at any public gathering such as sporting events, political events, parades, and etc. (Title 13A-11-59)
The "quoted" section DOES NOT APPLY to parades, sporting events etc.....see the Code at the above link.

The Sheriff of Mobile County has the authority to issue, deny, and/or revoke a pistol permit at his discretion.
Horseshit....a sheriff must show cause to revoke or even to deny issuance of a Pistol License...if he/she does so without such cause, they could be sued.
:Shakes head:...glad I don't live in Mobile county....

http://forum.alabamafirearmrights.org/

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

ScottyT wrote:
I know Utah law merely prohibits guns from "secure areas", meaning nothing past the metal detectors. Technically I could meet someone at baggage claim OCing -- I would leave it in the car though.

ScottyT,

I'm just curious........why would you leave your weapon in the car if you can legally carry it in areas other than the secure areas of the airport?

2nd Amendment.........Use it..........Or, lose it!!:X