• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good news from Oly

just_a_car

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Guys, I know and OPD knows that state law requires them to store the firearm. While I'm not sure if the front seat of a cop car counts as "secure area" it comes close enough where I'll understand them telling me not to carry a gun in their car.

I was not told I could NOT check a weapon at the police station, rather I was asked (not told, but asked) not to. I have learned they do not have public lockboxes at the station.

Legally there is nothing under the sun that could prevent them from me walking into the building and saying "Hey, I'm here for my ride, please check my gun" They would have had to store the gun some way, some how under state law. Due to the lack of lock boxes a cop would have had to have personal control and responsibility of the weapon, and I don't think they wanted that. Hence the REQUEST from them. I honored the request, with everyone knowing full well the laws of this state.

Can everyone here please argue about something else? I figured the fact that every officer has had formal training on OC now would be something we could all enjoy, not the infighting over my choice not to wear my gun that day....
No worries Steve, I'm not arguing about it. I did think that it did cover them, but rereading it, it may not. It's brought up a really good point that they may not actually be required to comply with the lockbox rule. Like I said, it would be worth asking the State AG, Rob McKenna, if it applies to them or not.

I think what you did was comendable and "right" and got a lot done for OC and citizen-LEO relationships/interactions. As you said (and was assumed just before we attended Old School Pizzaria), they read OCDO and, honestly, I'm glad they do. It's a great way for them to see that we, as citizens, care about our rights and are willing to learn the truth about the laws as opposed to just going out there doing as we please ignorant of whether we're obeying the law or not. Plus, it may actually inform some officers to parts of the law that they were not aware of, yet.

Overall, an excellent post and one that's sprouted a couple tangents that are worth pursuing. Don't read too much into my part into it... my posts are almost like thinking outloud, sometimes. ;)