• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter at Fred Meyer in Kent

rysa

imported post

Fred Meyer 10201 SE 240th St, Kent, WA

Sunday (5/4/08) : I was inFred Meyerfor about 1.5 hours doing some shopping for a bbq we were having. Bought a grill walked around and other than 1 dumb kid who made some comment about my "glock 9" it was completely uneventful.I remember thinking to myself"Great! another OC success and another company that is cool with it"

Monday (5/5/08) : I happened to go back to Fred Meyer todayto look at a piece of furniture they had on sale; hoping it would fit all the little odds and endsI have for my guns. walked around, picked up some bbq sauce at the wife's request and some items at the Deli for the kid. I had, at this point, walked by several managers and no comment (button down shirt, tie types, though nowI realize always on my weak side). When ireached the elevator to hit thier apparel section the second floor i was stopped by a manager type:

m1 : excuse me, sir

m: yes

m1 : (points to my hip) you cant have that in here

m: is that store or corporate policy

m1 : its store policy, and coporate policy

m: can i get a business card or the name and number of your manager and a copy of the policy

m1: why?

at this point m1 (whose name i did not catch) was getting a little flustered i could tell, while i was talking to him a second manger type who's name is Kevin (Kevin's title is Store Director)walked up and said something to the effect of:

Kevin : we've just had a lot of complaints from people

m1 : its almost like your doing it on purpose!

m : yes well, thats my right

At this point M1 storms awayand im left talking to Kevin.

Kevin: We'd just like you to cover it up

I point at my shirt and say that i cant cover it up completely and that i wont partially cover it up as i dont think thats allowed (for reference i was in a t-shirt with a serpa and a G23 on my hip). Since i dont remember the dialog exactly i'll paraphrase from here.

Kevin explains he's not against guns and doesnt think im there to cause trouble and that he hunts himself, but he's had several complaints. I asked for the corporate number so i could verify the policy. He said he didnt know what the official policy was, corporate or store, but said he would call me with the information and let me know. I asked if I could pay for the items i had in the cart before i left and he commented that he wasnt asking me to leave. (I had several nice responses for this one, but left it since he seemed like he wanted to figure out what the policy was before taking that kind of action). I thanked him, shook his hand and we parted ways. As I was walking out m1 was at the door of my exit. As I approached he got on his phone and started walking the opposite direction.

Kevin and I did exchange business cards (i gave him one of the OCDO ones) so i'll give him a few days to respond to me on the corporate policyand we'll see what happens.

Be aware, if you shop here there is a chance you'll meet some less than knowledgeable ppl on open carry.

rysa

imported post

Just got a call back from Kevin. He said he couldnt find anything on thier store or corporate policies on the carrying of handguns. He said he called other mangers and got different answers, most said that it was not allowed (so be careful if you go to other fred meyers!) He was generally very helpful and polite. He said the card (OCDO cards) were very helpful and i directed him to the RCW's on the back for further reading and mentioned i'd be happy to forward copies of the training bulletins.

I said i understood that its a somewhat uncommon thing (unfortunately) and that i understood the reactions of the customers, even if i didnt agree with them.

He told me that he hopes i come back in but also said that it would be better if i conceal from the standpoint of the customers ... To this i didnt reply though I have several choice comments for it, starting with "arent i a customer too"?

So, im a little mixed. They wantme back in, and we're generally good natured about the incident but would "prefer" i conceal. I guess thats what mostbusinesses would say. He did not say iHAD to conceal, however, so i think when i dogo back (which is pretty infrequent) i will OC, just to do a little more education.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have wondered how FM would handle it. I didn't see many posts here about them. It's interesting though that M1 stated that it's against store/corporate policy and M2 said there was nothing on the books. I guess thats what you get with uninformed managment who whish to make up their own rules as they go.

mtlhdtodd

imported post

I have OC'd at the Fred Meyer in Auburn oh a half dozen times and had no real trouble. The self check out clerk asked if I was a LEO once and thought it was illegal but I said no and no and that was it. I have been back since then and no probs.

Todd

rysa

imported post

I did think it was odd that they didnt ask if i was LEO or not (which im not, for the record). Im gonna call thier corporate office and see if i can get a straight answer on thier policy.

ravensmiles13

imported post

My Brother in law works for them and they have a pretty strict no weapons policy for their employees. However if you are able to contact corporate remind them that their main competitor WalMart SamsClub is o.k. with it.

Cremator75

imported post

rysa wrote:
I did think it was odd that they didnt ask if i was LEO or not (which im not, for the record). Im gonna call thier corporate office and see if i can get a straight answer on thier policy.
I would think if it was their policy they would post it for you to see. I would leave it alone and just keep OC'ing until you see it posted at the door. Even then, in Oregon anyway, all they could do here is ask you to leave.

rysa

imported post

well, i have a call into corporate who is supposed to call me back. We'll see what they say.

The reason i pursued it is if they do have a no firearms policy, then im not gonna shop there and if they dont then i want to be able to shove it back in m1's face if he gets after me again.

just_a_car

imported post

I want to hear back from corporate, through your correspondence, so I will know whether I need to add them to the DNP list. I don't think I do, but this certainly raises some questions.

krazichinaman

imported post

Next time you are there, ask for Loss Preventions card so you can have them call their uppers and ask. I use to work at FM (except I was at Fred Meyer Jewelers) and I got in trouble for carrying a pocket knife to work. The store director basically told me she could get me fired for it. When I looked into the policy it only states that it must be 3.5 inches or less. :banghead:Got to love the "Managers" of the stores.:celebrate

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

krazichinaman wrote:
Got to love the "Managers" of the stores.:celebrate
+1 One of my first places of employment, and I was not impressed with the quality of the managers. In fact, my first department manager was fired for embezzlement.

thewise1

imported post

Mr. T wrote:
MODERATOR EDIT - Mr. T is a troll and an agitator. His posts have been summarily deleted and are not worth quoting.

Have a nice Day - BobCav
I pity the fool that thinks like this.

lol.

rysa

imported post

Mr. T wrote:
MODERATOR EDIT - Mr. T is a troll and an agitator. His posts have been summarily deleted and are not worth quoting.

Have a nice Day - BobCav

I cant tell if your new, anti-gun, or simply attempting to stir up controversy with an obviously out of place comment.

By your logic, I forbid you to eat ham sandwiches, because I am afraid of them. If I ever see you in any store eating what i consider to be a ham sandwich then I will call the police and tell them you are causing alarm. I will also tell the store manager and you will be trespassed and not allowed to come back. I will then write my congressmen and tell them that ham sandwiches are dangerous because someone could choke and they should no longer be available to the general public. LEO's are ok thoughbecause they are trained to handle sandwiches of all kinds and mustpass a basic sandwich safetycourse.

As an aside, I have continued to follow up with Fred Meyer on this issue and they are still working on it. It appears that their may not be a policy regarding firearms and they are attempting to write one. Im trying to get in touch with the folks actually working on it and not just the cust. svc. reps to influence thier decision if I can.

MetalChris

imported post

Mr. T wrote:

Have a nice Day - BobCav

/banned

What a moron.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

This evening I had my family with me at my 11 yo son's baseball game where I was CC ing my Kimber .45 under a lightweight vest. After the game, we had to make a quick stop at the Fred Meyer on 240th in Kent. Still CC ing under vest... I didn't recieve any strange looks or anything... ;) :lol:

Bear 45/70

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
This evening I had my family with me at my 11 yo son's baseball game where I was CC ing my Kimber .45 under a lightweight vest. After the game, we had to make a quick stop at the Fred Meyer on 240th in Kent. Still CC ing under vest... I didn't recieve any strange looks or anything... ;) :lol:
Maybe no looks or comments because the firearm was CONCEALLED!
rolleyes.gif