• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart employee brings gun to work to kill

KBCraig

imported post

He was charged with UCW, which means he didn't have a CHL. Carrying a firearm into any TABC licensed premises (even a grocery store) raises UCW from a misdemeanor to a felony.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

burninsteeda04 wrote:
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/05/06/0506threat.html

We cant be charged for carrying a weapon into a place that is liscensed to sell alcohol can we.

Good work by the police, if true.

I havea big problem with his note being charged as a terroristic threat. He clearly wasn't threatening anybody by leaving that notefor his wife. Its not like its a "give in tomy political demands or I will...." He wasn't trying to scare anybody by way of his note. If he was going to threaten somebody, he could easily have just come outand said what he was going to do. Even then, it wouldn't be a terroristic threat. Murderous threat, maybe,butnot terroristic. If he was trying to scare someone, hewould havesent it to the police or the company orwhoever he wanted to scare.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
SNIP This is the EXACT reason WHY I carry at Walmart.:banghead::cuss:

When Seconds counts...Who is Minutes away?

Yeah.

Glad his wife got home in time to find the note.

PT111

imported post

I have some serious problems with this story. From what I can tell from the article he never said that he planned to kill or harm anyone. The only thing he said was that he was going to prison and the UCW charge sends him there. If he had just gotten a permit then they woyld have nothing to charge him on. I can't go along with the terrorist charges and 10 years for carrying a gun into Wal-Mart without a permit. Give me abreak that is BS.

And just what is an unreasonable amount of ammunition. There are a bunch on this board that most people would consider their everyday carry an unreasonable amount of ammo. I mean a primary weapon, two BUGS and at least 3 reloads for each one is not common but many people carry that.

I think the fellow is getting screwed.

swillden

imported post

PT111 wrote:
And just what is an unreasonable amount of ammunition. There are a bunch on this board that most people would consider their everyday carry an unreasonable amount of ammo. I mean a primary weapon, two BUGS and at least 3 reloads for each one is not common but many people carry that.
No doubt.

Hey, TJ, how much are you carrying on a daily basis these days? Seems like it was well over 100 rounds. Then again, in WV that might not be enough ;)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

swillden wrote:
PT111 wrote:
No doubt.

Hey, TJ, how much are you carrying on a daily basis these days? Seems like it was well over 100 rounds. Then again, in WV that might not be enough ;)

Yeah, about 100+:celebrate. Rememeber that the 3 WVC PD officers saw me with my Kimber in the Serpa and the S&W in the Dould and Goodrich shoulder rig.:celebrate

What they SAW was 4 mags total, what they DIDN'T SEE was the rest.:celebrate

TJ

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PT111 wrote:
I have some serious problems with this story. From what I can tell from the article he never said that he planned to kill or harm anyone. The only thing he said was that he was going to prison and the UCW charge sends him there. If he had just gotten a permit then they woyld have nothing to charge him on. I can't go along with the terrorist charges and 10 years for carrying a gun into Wal-Mart without a permit. Give me abreak that is BS.

Good catch, PT111.

It looks like they're twisting the note in order to add to the charges.

Of course, you can't trust news stories. He may have said something to the police at the arrest. Or while he was in the store prior to their arrival. Its interesting that he was reported to have been in the store for some period but hadn't shot anyone--I'm sure the purveyors of alarm (news media) would not have omitted to include it if he had shot someone. Or if he had his gun out while walking around inside.

Take notice that the police tookapproximately an hour to get to the WalMart.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
He was charged with UCW, which means he didn't have a CHL. Carrying a firearm into any TABC licensed premises (even a grocery store) raises UCW from a misdemeanor to a felony.

I think you're mistaken, I believe it's only a crime if the establishment draws 51%+ of it's revenues from alcohol consumed on premises. I'll try to find the law.

Yeah, I was right, I'd copy the text but it's PDF format and I can't. Look at this link:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/LS-16_withchanges.pdf

Page numbered 28 (34 of the PDF file). Just wanted to clarify that.

I'd also like to urge any texan who's looking to find a website with great links and great people in relation to firearms in texas to come to TexasGunTalk.com Some fantastic people from across our state on this website.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DopaVash wrote:
KBCraig wrote:

I think you're mistaken, I believe it's only a crime if the establishment draws 51%+ of it's revenues from alcohol consumed on premises. I'll try to find the law.

Yeah, I was right, I'd copy the text but it's PDF format and I can't. Look at this link:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/LS-16_withchanges.pdf

I'd also like to urge any texan who's looking to find a website with great links and great people in relation to firearms in texas to come to TexasGunTalk.com Some fantastic people from across our state on this website.

I think I'm missing part of the information.

The section quoted in the .pdf about 51% sales only says the store must post a sign. It doesn't seem to otherwisemake an exemption for unlicensedcarryinto a business that forgot or didn't postthe sign. Is theresuch an exemption explicit or implied in another section oftheCode?

DocNTexas

imported post

DopaVash wrote:
KBCraig wrote:

DopaVash,

KBCraig is actually correct in his statement, you have misunderstood thepoint being discussed.

KBCraig pointed out that the man was charged with Unlawful Carrying Weapons (PC46.02), which is the charge for carrying a handgun without a license in Texas. The second point KBCraig was makingis that if the offense of UCW occurs on premises licensed by the TABC to sell alcohol (no matter what type of TABC license it is), the offense is escalated from a class A misdemeanorto a 3rd degree felony (PC46.02(c)).

In short, the discussion KBCraig was addressing and the point he was making is that due to the charge being UCW, that alone indicated that the man did not have a CHL and that it was a felony in this case because the place he unlawfully carried was a TABC licensed establishment. (All points covered by Texas Penal code 46.02)

You are correct that a CHL holder can carry in a TABC licensed establishment as long as it does not derive 51% or more of itsincome from the sell of alcohol for on premises consumption, but in this case, the discussion was directed at the fact that theguy did not have a CHL.

Incidentally, the section you referred to (Government Code 411.204) deals with the posting of signs by certain establishments, not the carry of weapons in these establishments. The section you were actually looking for is Penal Code 46.035 which covers Unlawful Carry of Handgun by a License Holder, and more precisely 46.035(b)(1), which addresses carry in a 51% establishment.

All easy mistakes to make.

Take care,

Doc

DocNTexas

imported post

Citizen wrote:
DopaVash wrote:
KBCraig wrote:

I think I'm missing part of the information.

The section quoted in the .pdf about 51% sales only says the store must post a sign. It doesn't seem to otherwisemake an exemption for unlicensedcarryinto a business that forgot or didn't postthe sign. Is theresuch an exemption explicit or implied in another section oftheCode?

No there is not.

These are actually two separate offenses, in that, PC 46.035(b)(1) prohibits a license holder from carrying in a licensed establishment that derives 51% or more of it income from the sell of alcohol for on premises consumption. There is no exemption allowed for carry in non-posted establishments. However, 46.02(b) does require that in order to be an offense under that section, the person must intentionally, knowingly or recklessly carry there. This offers some protection for non-posted establishment, but it is typically clear once you enter such an establishment that you are in a 51% bar versus a restaurant that has a bar inside. Just becausea 51%bar is not posted does not make it legal to carry there if it is clear to the average person that the place is a 51% bar. If you know it is or if you should have known, you are in violation by carrying there regardless of whether it is posted or not.

The provision established by GC411.204 is a separate offense directed at the establishment in which they are required to post 51% signs and they are in violation no matter if someone is carrying there at the time or not. In short, one offense does not exempt or effect the other.

Take care,

Doc

DocNTexas

imported post

PT111 wrote:

PT111,

While I understand the position you have taken as you see it, I feel you have based your position on too many assumptions that are not supported by the information.

First off, the article is just that, a compiled story that includes only what the writer wanted to put in it. While you are correct that it does not quote him as say he intended to hurt, kill or otherwise harm people, it did not say otherwise either. Without knowing the content of the entire note and the emails it is hard to say for sure. However, he did state that he planned to be a criminal and the wife did say he owned a handgun that was missing. Couple this with the email statement of turn on your TVs is enough circumstantial evidence to establish a risk if not intent. The fact that he felt his actions would be on the TV immediately says he intended a spectacular, out of the ordinary event. Then top this off by catching him loitering inside the store that he was recently terminated from illegally carrying a firearm pretty much ices the cake for establishing reasonable suspicion that he intended to commit a violent and horrific act in that store.

Second, you state that "ifhe hadjust gotten a permit then they woyld have nothing to charge him on". If he had a permit, 1.) he probably would not be doing this; 2.) he would still be in violation due to the implied threat of violence and the intent to commit a crime as stated in his note. The fact that they charged him with UCW says he did not have a CHL.

Finally, you state "I can't go along with the terrorist charges and 10 years for carrying a gun into Wal-Mart without a permit". The charge is actually Making a Terroristic Threat, not to be confused withthe federal terrorism laws. Terroristic threat is located in PC22.07 and refers toa person whothreatens to commit any offense involving violence to any person or property (whether it is actually followed through on or not). As for the 10 years for UCW in Wal-Mart, that is the maximum possible jail time for UCW in a TABC licensed establishment, no matter if it is a bar, aliquor store or a Wal-Mart licensed to sell beer and wine. The offense carries a max penalty of a $10,000 fine and/or 10 years imprisonment (or anything in between).

Personally, I feel this guy is probably a few bricks shy of a load, which his defense attorney will surely exploit to his advantage. I seriously doubt he will spend much time inside (not that I agree). I applaud the APD for acting on this information and for catching him before he committed anything more serious, but I must question why it took them an hour to send officers to the Wal-Mart store in the first place? I realize they were making sure the note and emails were legit, but they knew they were already playing catchup and should have sent officers to the store immediately to watch for him while checking out the information. If the call turned out to be a prank, then the caller could be charged with that crime, but don't delay a potential lifesaving response just to confirm the report is legitimate.

With the preponderance of the evidence in this case and the risk it posed, immediate action was warranted. If the guy turned out to be legit or simply misunderstood, thenthey can simplylet him go. I had rather them apologize to him for the misunderstanding of his rants than for themto have to apologize to dozens of families for not acting quick enough to stop him from killing their loved ones. As for the "unreasonable amount of ammunition" statement, I have to agree that I would probably fall in that category by most peoples standards, especially law enforcement, but it is just a media thing to help build their story with the public and the case against the guy.

Fortunately, no one was hurt and the guy will get his day in court to explain any misunderstanding that might have occurred. Even if he can show that his notes were not intended to cause alarm or that his carrying the handgun was not intended to be used to commit a crime, he still broke the law by carrying it and should be charged with that offense.

Just my take on it.

Take care,

Doc

KBCraig

imported post

Let me just add that making terroristic threats is a very hard charge to prove in Texas. It almost requires that you make explicit threats in your own handwriting, which this knucklehead apparently did.