• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

was asked to leave the colonial mall in Brunswick

rmodel65

imported post

Well i visited the mall today, I was open carrying. I was asked to leave by the rent-a-cop. He noticed my pistol and asked if i had a license, so i complied showed my license. He then asked me where i work, I informed him and was asked to leave lol, figure he didnt like my reply that I paint cars:p I told him it was cool I would take my business elsewhere .
s5.gif

exgabrit

imported post

Good job :) no hassle beyond the asked-to-leave. Not sure if mr-rentacop has authority to ask to leave? maybe does as he's employed by mall.

rmodel65 wrote:
Well i visited the mall today, I was open carrying. I was asked to leave by the rent-a-cop. He noticed my pistol and asked if i had a license, so i complied showed my license. He then asked me where i work, I informed him and was asked to leave lol, figure he didnt like my reply that I paint cars:p I told him it was cool I would take my business elsewhere .
s5.gif

rmodel65

imported post

exgabrit wrote:
Good job :) no hassle beyond the asked-to-leave. Not sure if mr-rentacop has authority to ask to leave? maybe does as he's employed by mall.

rmodel65 wrote:
s5.gif

i was in the common area in the mall so i would assume he does

wsweeks2

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
s5.gif
He can ask you to leave, but he has no right to ask for your license.

rmodel65

imported post

my next question is do they have to ask me to leave everytime, or have I been warned not to carry so next time they could press charges?

exgabrit

imported post

I believe its each time, just don't go back the same day, you'd be pushing your luck.
the problem is that if you come back and ID'd too many times, then it may be considered refusal to leave.
I'd personally wait a few weeks, then go back as usual, see what happens. or simply concealed carry at that location.

rmodel65

imported post

yeah i dont go to the mall very often i was just wondering if now i had been officially warned or not

exgabrit

imported post

i think the law regarding being asked to leave is simply for within a certain period of time. i.e. you get asked to leave, you leave and come back 10 minutes later, then it's crimal treaspass. come back 5 hours later, probably still crimal treaspass. 3 days later, probably ok.
in order for it to become criminal treaspass is really NOT leaving when asked.
if for example you did come back a few hours later and then the renta-cops were real dummies and actually called the police, they showed up and you're still there, real cops are just going to ask you to leave. if you refuse, then you may be in trouble, like slap on the rist. basically for you to be in real trouble, you'll have to do a bunch of stuff wrong, like refusing to leave multiple times and then refuse to leave if cops show up and then mess with law enforcement.
cops vary city by city, some hillbilly types don't know the regs, or rookies. it would be almost considered arguing with a cop if you are trying to explain the law that he is incorrect about.

endtimer08

imported post

a mall is private property which is why can make their own rulles as far as dress codes, traveling in large groups ect. All they really need to do is put a sign at each entrance stating no guns allowed and its over

Jonas Salk

imported post

A sign has no legal authority in Georgia, as far as I know. Someone has to actually ask you to leave, and it's not "criminal trespass" to enter with a firearm when there's a sign, so long as you leave if someone asks you.

rmodel65

imported post

Jonas Salk wrote:
A sign has no legal authority in Georgia, as far as I know. Someone has to actually ask you to leave, and it's not "criminal trespass" to enter with a firearm when there's a sign, so long as you leave if someone asks you.

+1

Samuel Adams

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
s5.gif

Well, aren't you just the trouble maker? :D

Make sure that you post this at GeorgiaPacking.org.

rmodel65

imported post

Samuel Adams wrote:
rmodel65 wrote:
s5.gif

Well, aren't you just the trouble maker? :D

Make sure that you post this at GeorgiaPacking.org.

haha this happened a long time ago, i believe it was before my georgiapacking account was even activated i had to email them cause i waited and waited.

endtimer08

imported post

more and more I'm falling in love with GA LOL:celebrate I need to leave "disney world" here in florida and move to where the REAL south ends! My brother lives in douglas and he absolutely loves it! Now if only I can talk the wife into moving north! lol:banghead:

Jonas Salk

imported post

endtimer08 wrote:
more and more I'm falling in love with GA LOL:celebrate I need to leave "disney world" here in florida and move to where the REAL south ends! My brother lives in douglas and he absolutely loves it! Now if only I can talk the wife into moving north! lol:banghead:
You know we live in interesting times when you have to move north to get to The South.

AbNo

imported post

Jonas Salk wrote:
You know we live in interesting times when you have to move north to get to The South.

Even more amusing: After having moved to Virginia, people keep insisting it's the South even more than it did when I was in Augusta and Warner Robins. :lol:

Jonas Salk

imported post

Depends which part of Virginia, really. My dad lives in Roanoke, which is definitely "The South," but my trip to Alexandria and noVA two years ago...ugh. Nothing but annoying, sharp yankee accents and a total lack of sweet tea--people were also quite rude, never held doors open, didn't let you out if you were in traffic, etc.

Not that I want to generalize, but damn, it's a huge difference.