• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Run in with Sheriff's in Riverton

broncbob

imported post

I have been a long time reader of this site, but have never posted before. I had a run in with the Sherrifs in Riverton at my home this evening, and thought you might like to hear about it.

Was on the way out of the house to the car at my home on 126th S when a sheriff pulled up and loudly told me that if he can see my Ruger Gp100 on my hip, it is not concealed.

I told him yes I Know it's not concealed. He then again told me he could see it, and that it should be concealed.

I then informed him that I was carrying in the open, and that it was legal in UT, He then told me if it was loaded it has to be concealed, I informed him I have my CFP, and that too was leagal in UT.

He then told me thatI could not open carry in my car. At this point I was about tired of his rather meancaning Attitude, and iformed him that i understand the laws in UT and that i was not doing any thin to break the laws.

This got him out of his car asking for my ID, I handed him my DL and my CFP. He went back to his car and ran them, and them made a phone call. After he hung up he called me to the window of his car and told me that there is no laws against open carry in a car,YET.

His attitude had changed to very nice and polite. I thanked him for his concern and he went along his way and i went along mine.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

broncbob wrote:
I have been a long time reader of this site, but have never posted before. I had a run in with the Sherrifs in Riverton at my home this evening, and thought you might like to hear about it.

Was on the way out of the house to the car at my home on 126th S when a sheriff pulled up and loudly told me that if he can see my Ruger Gp100 on my hip, it is not concealed.

I told him yes I Know it's not concealed. He then again told me he could see it, and that it should be concealed.

I then informed him that I was carrying in the open, and that it was legal in UT, He then told me if it was loaded it has to be concealed, I informed him I have my CFP, and that too was leagal in UT.

He then told me thatI could not open carry in my car. At this point I was about tired of his rather meancaning Attitude, and iformed him that i understand the laws in UT and that i was not doing any thin to break the laws.

This got him out of his car asking for my ID, I handed him my DL and my CFP. He went back to his car and ran them, and them made a phone call. After he hung up he called me to the window of his car and told me that there is no laws against open carry in a car,YET.

His attitude had changed to very nice and polite. I thanked him for his concern and he went along his way and i went along mine.

Hey Broncbob, welcome.

Nice encounter and next one will be easier.

If you wanna hang for an OC lunch/dinner or something just PM me.

Make sure you come to our OC Meet at Golden Corral located at 7200 South and 665 East. Wednesday 14th @ 7 Pm.

TJ

GeneticsDave

imported post

Good job! Go get the audio file over on this thread and put it on your MP3 player, phone or whatever you carry on you. It's the Attorney General explaining that OC is legal.

There are some people out there who are misinformed or simply ignorant of the law. When it's a citizen it's more understandable than when it's a law enforcement officer (who should know to the law in order to enforce it). The good thing is that by OCing you are in a position to educate those withwhom y ou come in contact. Good to see that you stood by your guns. Good luck in any future encounters.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

broncbob wrote:

Congrats on handling this so well.

But I hasten to point out to all that the deputy's comments about OC not being illegal **YET** is certainly worth thinking about. There is NOTHING preventing the legislature from mandating that those who carry with a permit carry concealed.

Other than how we'd like to see the courts apply the 2nd amendment to the federal constitution and Article 1, Sec 6 of the Utah constitution, there is nothing preventing the legislature from banning permitless (Israeli) open carry as it currently exists. And let's be honest, if we had our druthers, the court would invalid any and all requirements for a permit to CC, or to carry in school zones, regristration of guns purchased through dealers, and a host of other gun laws. I would NOT expect even the best hoped for decision from the SCOTUS on Heller to materially change this.

At this point, protection and preservation--much less any advancment--of our RKBA is purely political effort.

As the UoU's, Speaker Curtis', and Rep Urquhart's effortst this last session to outlaw open carry in a host of locations shows, there are those with tremendous political influence and power who are chomping at the bit to limit and infringe and deny RKBA.

Be sure you are involved in politics. Especially this election season and then on going through the next few years. If we can stave off these attacks and maybe make some small advancements over the next few years the status quo begins to be on our side more and more.

Charles

Bflamante

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Put this in your wallet and show the cops the next time you get some guff from them.
Per state law you are exempt from (76-10-505) the prohibition on carrying a firearm in the open when loaded if, and only if, (76-10-523.2) you have a concealed carry permit.

If they have a problem with that then tell them to kiss off :cuss:(kindly of course). It is good to make the point that it is not their fault for not understanding the laws, and that you support the idea of funding for them to be "properly trained" on gun laws. That you are willing to be patient with their lack of understanding of the laws until they are taught them. I blame their supervisors in part for their lack of understanding. Where is their training?

To me this is a perfect example of the few in law enforcement who give a bad image on the rest of the force by applying what they want the law to be rather than what the law is.

Attachments

• Open Carry Loaded.pdf
    47.2 KB · Views: 111