• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ever had a weapon accidentally discharge on you?

tarzan1888

imported post

I have never had an AD, but my brother did.

He is twenty rears older than I am and it happened to him on two different occasions.

The first time he was a kid and was cleaning his .22. It went off and shot a hole in the bathroom wall. He knew that dad would kill him when he saw the hole so he got a 10 penny nail and put it in the hole.

When my dad went into the bathroom and saw the nail sticking out of the wall, he just shrugged and hung his pants on it.

The second time he was cleaning his '06, sitting in his front room. Again the AD (I don't know what it is about him and cleaning his guns). This round went through three interior walls, through his daughters pillow on her bed and buried its self in the outside wall.

He was so glad that his daughter was not in her room at the time. :banghead:

He was the one that taught me to shoot, when I was a kid, and I am so glad that I didn't learn his bad habits too.

Tarzan

Legba

imported post

Pointman wrote:
I had a slam-fire in a Ruger 10-22 rifle. We'd put about 300 shots of cheap ammo through it that day, put another mag in it, released the slide, blam! Down-range and into the berm.
Make sure to grease up your firing pin when you clean your gun. If they stick in the forward position, you can get into an automatic fire situation, and good luck convincing The Man that you didn't deliberately make it into a machine gun.

-ljp

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
I have had only one pistol accidentally go off on me. I have had at the time 12 years of firearm experience, and 9 years of experience with handguns. What happen in my case was. I was in Kuwait working as a contractor, and at the time in 2005 there were lots off insurgents trying to attack our living quarters, so I had a Kuwaiti friend of mine get me a pistol for protection, so he found me a .32 cal, (old one) and gave it to me. I was going to keep it in my room, and if we were ever attacked I would grab the pistol and lock myself in the bathroom. Well I was chambering a round to get it ready an put it in my locker, and as I chambered the round and let the slide fall BAM.. Talking about shook up, that was the first time a weapon has ever gone off on me. Come to find out the firing pin was engaged or something like that. So when I released the slide it struck the round then BAM… I just sat there for a min. thought to myself am I hit, am I hit? Now where did this round go?

I MAKE SURE NOW TO ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, POINT IT IN A SAFE DIRECTION. I knew that before but this ND just drove it all home for me.

Has anyone ever has a ND while handling a firearm. And how much experience have you had in firearm
No, never happened. I've slammed the magazine into my Glock 19 and had the slide drop. This happened when the pistol was in the holster, so maybe something pressed against the slide stop.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

I had a true accidental discharge (as opposed to an ND). My FAL blew up in my face as I was shooting it- the round went off out-of-battery and I never touched the trigger. I had thousands of blood dots all over my face. It was not a fun experience.

PT111

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
The second time he was cleaning his '06, sitting in his front room. Again the AD (I don't know what it is about him and cleaning his guns). This round went through three interior walls, through his daughters pillow on her head and buried its self in the outside wall.
Tell him to start cleaning his bullets and gun separately instead of at the same time. :cuss:I have never understood why so many people seem to want to clean their guns with them still loaded unless they are trying to save time by cleaning the bullets and guns at the same time. Bad idea.:banghead:

Legba

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Legba: Thanks. I never did take the pin out, but should have, and will now.
Well, you shouldn't need to dismantle the bolt and remove the pin altogether every time, just spray some gunk-out organic solvent/lube type stuff into the hole and you should be OK (the lazy guy's guide to gun cleaning). Works for me (so far) anyway.

-ljp

tarzan1888

imported post

PT111 wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
The second time he was cleaning his '06, sitting in his front room. Again the AD (I don't know what it is about him and cleaning his guns). This round went through three interior walls, through his daughters pillow on her bed and buried its self in the outside wall.
Tell him to start cleaning his bullets and gun separately instead of at the same time. :cuss:I have never understood why so many people seem to want to clean their guns with them still loaded unless they are trying to save time by cleaning the bullets and guns at the same time. Bad idea.:banghead:
:lol: That is funny. I think he likes to check and see if the bullets still fit after he has cleaned the gun....I don't know, but it is a little late to try and teach him much...He is fast approaching 80. Maybe I should just have him give all his guns to me. :celebrate