• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ever had a weapon accidentally discharge on you?

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have had only one pistol accidentally go off on me. I have had at the time 12 years of firearm experience, and 9 years of experience with handguns. What happen in my case was. I was in Kuwait working as a contractor, and at the time in 2005 there were lots off insurgents trying to attack our living quarters, so I had a Kuwaiti friend of mine get me a pistol for protection, so he found me a .32 cal, (old one) and gave it to me. I was going to keep it in my room, and if we were ever attacked I would grab the pistol and lock myself in the bathroom. Well I was chambering a round to get it ready an put it in my locker, and as I chambered the round and let the slide fall BAM.. Talking about shook up, that was the first time a weapon has ever gone off on me. Come to find out the firing pin was engaged or something like that. So when I released the slide it struck the round then BAM… I just sat there for a min. thought to myself am I hit, am I hit? Now where did this round go?

I MAKE SURE NOW TO ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, POINT IT IN A SAFE DIRECTION. I knew that before but this ND just drove it all home for me.

Has anyone ever has a ND while handling a firearm. And how much experience have you had in firearm

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One shootout they had was only blocks away from where some of our people lived, and also we had to be on look out for about 12 cars that were out to kill Americans, they even had a ice cream stand on the side of the road that was full of explosives ready to explode as we passed in POV’s….. We lived out in the city, and with no armed guards. I was only armed with a .32 so I said Nope not worth it. I’m out ta here..

ODA 226

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
One shootout they had was only blocks away from where some of our people lived, and also we had to be on look out for about 12 cars that were out to kill Americans, they even had a ice cream stand on the side of the road that was full of explosives ready to explode as we passed in POV’s….. We lived out in the city, and with no armed guards. I was only armed with a .32 so I said Nope not worth it. I’m out ta here..
Glad you're still here! ;)

DocV

imported post

18 years AD Navy. 25 years of owning, shooting, and collecting.

Never had an AD, but I did have a ND about 12 years ago.

I failed to insure that a chamber was was clear before dropping the hammer. I can make a lot of excuses as to why I didn't see the round(low light, aluminum case blending in, etc), but none of them really wash. It was my complacency and negligence pure and simple

Fortunately, I was following all the other rules; pointed in a safe direction, known back stop, etc. so there were no casualties except to my ego and pride.

I have no problem relating this story at any time in hopes that someone else will learn from it.

DocV

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
I was only armed with a .32

Screw that ... glad you are home safely!

I've never had an AD but I did have a SSDATTDD once (stupid stupid dumb ass thing to do discharge). ONLY thing I was doing right was pointing it in a safe direction. That was several years ago after I had gone for a long time without handling firearms and I can't imagine that the situation would or could recur unless I get Alzheimers.

LEO 229

imported post

Never had a AD.

Always treat my guns as if they are loaded so if it did happen.... it would be in a safe direction anyway.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glad you are back safe and sound. Accidents do happen and occasionally they happen with a fire arm. It is good no one was injuredincluding yourself.

Huck

imported post

IMHO, there is no such thing as a "accidental" discharge, they're "negligent" discharges. Any, and all, negligent discharges are IMHO, the result of people not following the 4 rules and rule #5 (my personal rule) "know your weapon".

I've been shooting for 45 years and have never had a negligent discharge.

LEO 229

imported post

Huck wrote:
IMHO, there is no such thing as a "accidental" discharge, they're "negligent" discharges. Any, and all, negligent discharges are IMHO, the result of people not following the 4 rules and rule #5 (my personal rule) "know your weapon".

I've been shooting for 45 years and have never had a negligent discharge.
Same goes for automobile accidents... They are now known as a "crash."

But then.... there are times when the crash really was an accident.

Example.... your driving and you hit some black ice. You were driving at a safe speed and had absolutely no idea. At fault? Yes... Negligent? Not really.

Just something to think about.

Legba

imported post

Nope, no accidental/negligent/magical weapons discharges to date, although manually decocking my work piece every day makes me fear that I'll catch a ricochet if my thumb slips (there is no "safe" muzzle direction in a concrete cinder block office).

-ljp

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Bookcase or sand barrel
Agree with Doug....

Your backstop should be something that will help cushion the round... hard surfaces will likely send it back at you.

expvideo

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
I have had only one pistol accidentally go off on me. I have had at the time 12 years of firearm experience, and 9 years of experience with handguns. What happen in my case was. I was in Kuwait working as a contractor, and at the time in 2005 there were lots off insurgents trying to attack our living quarters, so I had a Kuwaiti friend of mine get me a pistol for protection, so he found me a .32 cal, (old one) and gave it to me. I was going to keep it in my room, and if we were ever attacked I would grab the pistol and lock myself in the bathroom. Well I was chambering a round to get it ready an put it in my locker, and as I chambered the round and let the slide fall BAM.. Talking about shook up, that was the first time a weapon has ever gone off on me. Come to find out the firing pin was engaged or something like that. So when I released the slide it struck the round then BAM… I just sat there for a min. thought to myself am I hit, am I hit? Now where did this round go?

I MAKE SURE NOW TO ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, POINT IT IN A SAFE DIRECTION. I knew that before but this ND just drove it all home for me.

Has anyone ever has a ND while handling a firearm. And how much experience have you had in firearm

I'm fortunate enough to never have had an AD with a real gun. I had one once when I was 15 with an airsoft gun (before airsoft was really available in the states), and I had one when I was 16 with a blank pistol. Those were both negligent though, because they were my own fault. Thank God for gun safety classes!

Anyway, I can see how yours wasn't your fault, but a malfunction in the gun itself, so don't beat yourself up about it. Thank God you knew enough about safe gun handling to have it pointing in a safe direction! That's exactly why we have the 4 rules.

BTW, I like your new avatar pic. The kid in mine is my little brother. He was OCing his cap guns last 4th of July, and I OCed my Sig to the parade with him.