Thread: Voted while Open Carrying Today

Post imported post

I voted today while Open Carrying in Chesapeake.

Great feeling. Be sure your polling place is not a school before doing it yourself. That includes some churches that are also kindergartens.

Interesting conversation with poll worker who was checking my ID.

Her: What is that?

Me: SIG 229 Double Action Only.

Her: Is that a Pistol?

Me: Handgun

Her: Are you a cop?

Me: No.

Her: What???

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:

Great feeling. Be sure your polling place is not a school before doing it yourself. That includes some churches that are also kindergartens.
    Kindergartens are NOT prohibited under current state law, see: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.1

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

I'm jealous. And loved her reaction!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote: § 22.1-1 defines elementary school to include kindergarten for the Title 22.1 (Education). Since elementary school is not definied in Title 18.2, would this definition be applied to 18.2-308.1?
    ---

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    Thundar wrote:

Kindergartens are NOT prohibited under current state law, see: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.1

I see nothing in your citation that exempts Kindergarten from these rules.

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote: § 22.1-1 defines elementary school to include kindergarten for the Title 22.1 (Education). Since elementary school is not definied in Title 18.2, would this definition be applied to 18.2-308.1?
    § 22.1-1 specifically limits it's scope to Title 22.1. They're clearly referred to as distinct entities here: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+22.1-270
    However, for lack of a definition in 18.2-301.1, it could be a grey area...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote:
    Thundar wrote:

I see nothing in your citation that exempts Kindergarten from these rules.
    I see nothing that includes them either...

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    rlh2005 wrote:
    § 22.1-1 specifically limits it's scope to Title 22.1. However, for lack of a definition in 18.2-301.1, it could be a grey area...
    Darn, you guys are quick!

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Her: Are you a cop?

Me: No.

Her: What???

So, what happened after that?

I voted in an election we had here last month but I had to disarm as my polling place was in an elementary school. Sacrifice one right to exercise another. That logic seems a bit astray...

Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

I did not speak to her any more. She was obviously an anti by her tone and body language. I had to get to work so I did not engage.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    That includes some churches that are also kindergartens.
    Doesn't matter if it's a kindergarten, churches are a no go anyway.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-283

Of course no one really knows what "good and sufficient reason" is.

edit: Maybe not, I forgot about the "while a meeting for religious purposes is being held" part.

Post imported post

asforme wrote:
    Thundar wrote:
    That includes some churches that are also kindergartens.
    Doesn't matter if it's a kindergarten, churches are a no go anyway.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-283

Of course no one really knows what "good and sufficient reason" is.

edit: Maybe not, I forgot about the "while a meeting for religious purposes is being held" part.
    Reread the statute, it says while a "religious" service is going on. Not a secular event like voting.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote
    Reread the statute, it says while a "religious" service is going on. Not a secular event like voting.
    That's why I added the edit after I posted... However there are many churches who have prayer meetings and such going on during the week so just one more thing you may need to check out before OCing.

Post imported post

asforme wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote
    That's why I added the edit after I posted... However there are many churches who have prayer meetings and such going on during the week so just one more thing you may need to check out before OCing.
    Very good, you are correct. It's another case of speed reading for me, sorry I should slow down.