Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Voted while Open Carrying Today

  1. #1
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,964

    Post imported post

    I voted today while Open Carrying in Chesapeake.

    Great feeling. Be sure your polling place is not a school before doing it yourself. That includes some churches that are also kindergartens.

    Interesting conversation with poll worker who was checking my ID.

    Her: What is that?

    Me: SIG 229 Double Action Only.

    Her: Is that a Pistol?

    Me: Handgun

    Her: Are you a cop?

    Me: No.

    Her: What???


    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    Thundar wrote:
    I voted today while Open Carrying in Chesapeake.

    Great feeling. Be sure your polling place is not a school before doing it yourself. That includes some churches that are also kindergartens.
    Kindergartens are NOT prohibited under current state law, see: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.1


    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran Nelson_Muntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manassas, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697

    Post imported post

    I'm jealous. And loved her reaction!

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Spotsylvania County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    700

    Post imported post

    roscoe13 wrote: § 22.1-1 defines elementary school to include kindergarten for the Title 22.1 (Education). Since elementary school is not definied in Title 18.2, would this definition be applied to 18.2-308.1?
    ---

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Gloucester Point, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    899

    Post imported post

    roscoe13 wrote:
    Thundar wrote:
    I voted today while Open Carrying in Chesapeake.

    Great feeling. Be sure your polling place is not a school before doing it yourself. That includes some churches that are also kindergartens.
    Kindergartens are NOT prohibited under current state law, see: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.1

    I see nothing in your citation that exempts Kindergarten from these rules.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    rlh2005 wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote: § 22.1-1 defines elementary school to include kindergarten for the Title 22.1 (Education). Since elementary school is not definied in Title 18.2, would this definition be applied to 18.2-308.1?
    § 22.1-1 specifically limits it's scope to Title 22.1. They're clearly referred to as distinct entities here: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+22.1-270
    However, for lack of a definition in 18.2-301.1, it could be a grey area...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    bayboy42 wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote:
    Thundar wrote:
    I voted today while Open Carrying in Chesapeake.

    Great feeling. Be sure your polling place is not a school before doing it yourself. That includes some churches that are also kindergartens.
    Kindergartens are NOT prohibited under current state law, see: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.1

    I see nothing in your citation that exempts Kindergarten from these rules.
    I see nothing that includes them either...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    roscoe13 wrote:
    rlh2005 wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote: § 22.1-1 defines elementary school to include kindergarten for the Title 22.1 (Education). Since elementary school is not definied in Title 18.2, would this definition be applied to 18.2-308.1?
    § 22.1-1 specifically limits it's scope to Title 22.1. However, for lack of a definition in 18.2-301.1, it could be a grey area...
    Darn, you guys are quick!

  9. #9
    Regular Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    1,224

    Post imported post

    Thundar wrote:
    Her: Are you a cop?

    Me: No.

    Her: What???

    So, what happened after that?

    I voted in an election we had here last month but I had to disarm as my polling place was in an elementary school. Sacrifice one right to exercise another. That logic seems a bit astray...


    Peace through superior firepower

    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,964

    Post imported post

    I did not speak to her any more. She was obviously an anti by her tone and body language. I had to get to work so I did not engage.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    839

    Post imported post

    Thundar wrote:
    That includes some churches that are also kindergartens.
    Doesn't matter if it's a kindergarten, churches are a no go anyway.

    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-283

    Of course no one really knows what "good and sufficient reason" is.

    edit: Maybe not, I forgot about the "while a meeting for religious purposes is being held" part.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Neplusultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Christiansburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,228

    Post imported post

    asforme wrote:
    Thundar wrote:
    That includes some churches that are also kindergartens.
    Doesn't matter if it's a kindergarten, churches are a no go anyway.

    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-283

    Of course no one really knows what "good and sufficient reason" is.

    edit: Maybe not, I forgot about the "while a meeting for religious purposes is being held" part.
    Reread the statute, it says while a "religious" service is going on. Not a secular event like voting.

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    839

    Post imported post

    Neplusultra wrote
    Reread the statute, it says while a "religious" service is going on. Not a secular event like voting.
    That's why I added the edit after I posted... However there are many churches who have prayer meetings and such going on during the week so just one more thing you may need to check out before OCing.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Neplusultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Christiansburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,228

    Post imported post

    asforme wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote
    Reread the statute, it says while a "religious" service is going on. Not a secular event like voting.
    That's why I added the edit after I posted... However there are many churches who have prayer meetings and such going on during the week so just one more thing you may need to check out before OCing.
    Very good, you are correct. It's another case of speed reading for me, sorry I should slow down.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •