• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lake Winnipesaukee (Meredith area)

ruumis

imported post

I am a new non-resident permit holder who will be spending the July 4[suP]th[/suP] holiday in Meredith, NH. I am curious about residents’ and non-residents’ experiences with carrying in this area, both concealed and open. Also, I’m wondering if there are any decent gun shops in the nearby vicinity.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

thisguyrighthere

imported post

I'm wondering the same thing. I just took a new job in Meredith and will be moving to the area from a concealed carry state at the end of the month.

I've been there a few times in the meantime looking for housing and learning the area and I haven't seen anyone carrying openly yet. Even cutomers of the gun shops I visited were not carrying openly.

I have had a few conversations with people and for the most part the residents of the area seem to like their guns so I wouldn't expect them to react in a paranoid fashion but some of the obvious out-of-towners did have that gun-scared reaction so common in places like NYC, Boston and Connecticut.

If I had to guess I'd say the locals wouldn't bat an eye but during the Summer the tourists and vacationers will probably freak out. But that's just a guess from a soon-to-be resident of the area.

As far as decent gun shops there's Franks right downtown Meredith across from the coffee shop and just a ways down 104 there's Abes Awesome Armaments. Apparently they're armaments are awesome.

doobie

imported post

If you plan to be on public property you shouldn't have any issues open or concealed carry (CC assuming yo uhave a non-resident permit). If you don't have a non-resident permit then you have to open carry. Being in a car is concealed carry. For this you need to unload your gun when you get in/get out of the car.

MarkNH

State Researcher
imported post

doobie wrote:
If you plan to be on public property you shouldn't have any issues open or concealed carry (CC assuming yo uhave a non-resident permit). If you don't have a non-resident permit then you have to open carry. Being in a car is concealed carry. For this you need to unload your gun when you get in/get out of the car.
Just to clarify Doobie: the original poster has a non-resident permit so he is ok open carry in a car and does not need to load/unload.

Summary:

NH resident/non-resident/reciprocal permit: ok to carry open or concealed in a vehicle.
No permit: no carrying loaded in a vehicle.

nh92d

imported post

MarkNH wrote:
doobie wrote:
Just to clarify Doobie: the original poster has a non-resident permit so he is ok open carry in a car and does not need to load/unload.

Summary:

NH resident/non-resident/reciprocal permit: ok to carry open or concealed in a vehicle.
No permit: no carrying loaded in a vehicle.
i know you were asking doobie but yes..original postercan transport/CC loaded gun with non-res permit..

ruumis

imported post

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Most likely, I won't be open carrying because some of the people I'll be with are frightened by any sort of firearm. But I'll definitely carry concealed.

Decoligny

imported post

t3rmin wrote:
WHAT ABOUT BOB?!
OT: My grandparents cottage was about 1 mile down the lakefront from the house in that movie. I used to sputter my little 2 H.P. aluminum boat by there on my way to Rattlesnake Island.

Went to Weir's Beach this past summer and rented a boat to see the old place, some millionaire tore down the cottage and built a "Summer Home" in it's place. A part of my childhood died.

t3rmin

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
t3rmin wrote:
WHAT ABOUT BOB?!
OT: My grandparents cottage was about 1 mile down the lakefront from the house in that movie. I used to sputter my little 2 H.P. aluminum boat by there on my way to Rattlesnake Island.

Went to Weir's Beach this past summer and rented a boat to see the old place, some millionaire tore down the cottage and built a "Summer Home" in it's place. A part of my childhood died.
You know if you're sputtering a metal boat past that house you're obligated to shake your fist and say "Burn in hell, Dr. Marvin!"

:celebrate

Thundar

imported post

You shouldn't have any trouble in the Northern end in Moultonboro. Get an out of state concealed carry permit. It makes carry in a car or truck much easier to do legally.

ProguninTN

imported post

Just watchout for antis from MA. (There are a few who visit the lakes region that I've run into while spending summers there.) Anyways, do enjoy yourself. I spent July 4 in the Laconia/Wolfeboro areas in the past.

PG