View Poll Results: Which category best fits the majority of negative OC comments?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Law Enforcement Officers

26 21.67%
  • Other Government Official

2 1.67%
  • Business Owners, Managers, or Employees

13 10.83%
  • General Public

11 9.17%
  • Family Members

26 21.67%
  • Have had no negative comments

17 14.17%
  • I don't OC

8 6.67%
  • Concealed Permit Instructors

2 1.67%
  • Members of Other Gun Forums

15 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negative Open Carry Comment Poll

Post imported post

I have had virtually no one aside from Law Enforcement make a negative comment regarding OC.

Post imported post

I have only had one experience that I considered "negative." It was a Food Bear employee, who decided to ask me a number of questions. I got the distinct feeling he did not think I needed a gun, and wanted to make me "think about what I was doing."

As a result, I voted for the Business Employee option.

Overall, I'm willing to bet that businesses and LEOs are going to have the most votes. I say this simply because I feel that in both situations the person making the comments has an illusion of being in power over (Or being "more experienced" than, "smarter" than, etc.) the carrier of the firearm.

Post imported post

Had to vote for family member..my brother in-law questioned me why i needed to carry..asked if something had happened that caused me to feel like i needed a gun for protection.i simply said "it's like have auto/medical insurance,i'd feel better having it and not needing it,then to need it and not have it.."

granted his questions weren'tcompletely negative but i could sence that he felt that only certain people should carry..being in the military(and gun owner),i thought he'd feel different

Post imported post

You need one other category:

Members of other gun forums.

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:
    You need one other category:

Members of other gun forums.
    Ah, 20-20 hind-sight. Good point - looks like I can't edit the poll.

Post imported post

one more category:

ex LEOs turned CCW instructors

My CCW instructors went so far as to tell me that it was against local city law to open carry in nearby incorporated areas of Reno, Sparks Carson City despite there never, ever being any case law to support the claim and Nevada law pre-emptying any and all non-state level laws against anything gun related except discharge.

I of course, being a member of this board, am well versed on what's what with the states in which I often find myself and immediately rebutted that they were wrong.

I understand why they said it, because we are all there getting licensed to carry concealed and they simply believe it's easier to carry concealed but I open carry to remind others to do so as well -- a statement impossible to make while concealing.

The instructors said it ultimately because they seek to keep us out of harm's way but they could have just said that instead of saying it wasn't legal and would very likely result in us being detained by LEOs. People on this forum (the NV board) open carry all the time in Reno without incident.

Post imported post

wayneco wrote:
    ex LEOs turned CCW instructors
    +1

The only person I've met who really argued strongly against OC was my CFP instructor.

Post imported post

Maybe members of the CCW instruction cottage industry feel threatened by people discovering that their state is legal OC when they make so much money from the CCW classes?

I don't see them as mutually exclusive at all... they are yin and yang -- perfectly complementary activities. I will often OC while my wife would almost exclusively CC but we both appreciate the right to do either.

Post imported post

I get more crap from the general public then anybody else. Most often it's a stare or something muttered under their breath. I've had one thumbs up from an older man in Fredericksburg, and one lenghty conversation with a man walking down the street near my neighborhood. To whom I replied, that just as the Constitution secure's your write to freedom of speech it secure's my right to bear arms. I can tell my neighbors don't like it, but who cares. They'll be the first ones on my doorstep when the robber's come. I went to a restaurant recentlywhich I frequent (OC'ing of course) with my gun on my side and my Ka Bar TDI knife in plain site and I thought the waiter was going to faint.

Waiter-:shock:

Me-:P

PEICE!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I added Members of Other Gun Forums (Rabid Concealers). That's where I've had the most myself too. Also added CHP Instructors too.

(You can always change your vote)

I also edited the title a bit to make it more clear about the poll.

Post imported post

My mom, g/f, and her parents hate me OCing. My g/f's dad told her he thinks it's stupid, her mom told her she's not to me around me when I carry (like I'm some kind of nut wanting to shoot someone). I don't think her family would agree with me carrying even if I had a CCDW.

Banned

Post imported post

I've had exactly two negative comments, not counting the bad LEO encounter I had that was purely ridiculous and venomous, outside of the thousands of negative comments I've seen about OC on gun forums and in gun-related IRC channels.

Post imported post

wayneco wrote:
    Maybe members of the CCW instruction cottage industry feel threatened by people discovering that their state is legal OC when they make so much money from the CCW classes?

I don't see them as mutually exclusive at all... they are yin and yang -- perfectly complementary activities. I will often OC while my wife would almost exclusively CC but we both appreciate the right to do either.
    Under circumstances where 'ccw' is percieved to be the only lawful means to carry-- yes, unlicensed open carry definately cuts into the profit margin of 'CCW" instructors... it is a threat to their bottom line... certainly they will discourage OC.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
    wayneco wrote:

Under circumstances where 'ccw' is percieved to be the only lawful means to carry-- yes, unlicensed open carry definately cuts into the profit margin of 'CCW" instructors... it is a threat to their bottom line... certainly they will discourage OC.
    Actually that's the same reason someLEO's don't like citizens who carry. Less criminals to justify their jobs. It's always about the money.

Post imported post

mine have been from family at a cook out last weekend in a county park, my uncle tried to tell me it was illegal b/c it was a public gathering

Post imported post

In the two weeks that I OC, I had as many bad experiences - both in places that sell guns!! The first was at Cabela's in Wheeling, WV in which the employee who freaked out worked in the firearms department (the one who should know the gun laws) not the greeter who glanced down, smiled and asked me if I would want info on their credit card special, then wished me a good day. The other experience was at a family owned local sporting goods store, which sells primarily firearms and firearm accessories. Why is it that the ones who sell the guns either do not know the gun laws, or do not let you carry in their store (pretty hypocritical)! Speaking of those who sell and do not permit carrying - Kmart sells firearms, but the have posted that no one is allowed to carry in their store.

Banned

Post imported post

ron-357 wrote:
    In the two weeks that I OC, I had as many bad experiences - both in places that sell guns!! The first was at Cabela's in Wheeling, WV in which the employee who freaked out worked in the firearms department (the one who should know the gun laws) not the greeter who glanced down, smiled and asked me if I would want info on their credit card special, then wished me a good day. The other experience was at a family owned local sporting goods store, which sells primarily firearms and firearm accessories. Why is it that the ones who sell the guns either do not know the gun laws, or do not let you carry in their store (pretty hypocritical)! Speaking of those who sell and do not permit carrying - Kmart sells firearms, but the have posted that no one is allowed to carry in their store.
    It's funny that people keep mentioning KMart as anti-OC, when that's the only big-box store I don't ever have issues in when I carry. Though I HAVE talked to the manager about it (When I was in there buying a shotgun, he asked me about it, and I told him pretty much "You'll never have to worry about it. It stays right where it is and I never remove it except at home, or when it's absolutely needed."

After that conversation I've never been even looked at funny at the local KMart. Actually a few employees who wandered by when I was back there have even struck up friendly conversation since then.

That's the problem with anecdotal evidence, everyone has their own experience. (Like all my bad experiences at WalMart)

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Same here. The local Super K-Mart here in Reno is about 1/4 mile away andI'm in there 3-4 times a week OC'ing every time. In customer service, checkouts, by sporting goods and fondling the melons in produce...never a peep from anyone.

Post imported post

Aran wrote:
    ron-357 wrote:
    It's funny that people keep mentioning KMart as anti-OC, when that's the only big-box store I don't ever have issues in when I carry. Though I HAVE talked to the manager about it (When I was in there buying a shotgun, he asked me about it, and I told him pretty much "You'll never have to worry about it. It stays right where it is and I never remove it except at home, or when it's absolutely needed."

After that conversation I've never been even looked at funny at the local KMart. Actually a few employees who wandered by when I was back there have even struck up friendly conversation since then.

That's the problem with anecdotal evidence, everyone has their own experience. (Like all my bad experiences at WalMart)
    It is against the law for me to carry in K-mart, no matter if it it OC or CC. Our K-mart is attached to the Ohio Valley Mall and it is the ONLY store that prohibits firearms!!! They have signs posted at the outside and inside mall entrances to their store in compliance to Ohio Revised Code. So if you are carrying a firearm and step foot in the store, you are guilty of criminal trespassing and will lose your CCL privileges!

Post imported post

wayneco wrote:
    I don't know how it works where you live, but I don't know any local firearms instructors who make any money at it. I'm a certified instructor for handgun and self defense, teaching mostly novices. I also teach a cc permit class once in a while. CC isn't a big deal here in Wyoming, so that may be the difference. In any case, I rarely get more than expenses out of it, and that's just fine with me because my purpose is to help people become both competent and confident in self defense, especially other women. I offer the class free to anyone who couldn't otherwise afford it, asking only that they pay for their own ammunition. I even loan them my guns if needed.

That said, I refuse to carry concealed myself, and carry openly full time, everywhere I go. I don't have anything against cc except for the fact that it does not help others get used to the idea that ordinary people can and should be armed everyday, everywhere.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I don't OC because I can't. Durn Texas laws!

Post imported post

DopaVash wrote:
    Why stay in Texas then? Come to Wyoming. Visit the Free State Wyoming forum. http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php

You can OC everywhere, all the time and nobody will even notice most of the time. Federal laws apply, but that's it. There is not one word about OC in the Wyoming statutes. CC permit is easy to get and restrictions are few.

Wyoming, the REAL "Live Free or Die" state.

I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Post imported post

CCW classes are a cottage industry in Nevada. I calculated that our Saturday class of 16 students brought in a $2000-$3000 in teaching fees and we were only a medium sized class.

Not bad for a Saturday afternoon!

Post imported post

Same here in Ohio.... you can take the 8 hour NRA Handgun Safery class and in will cost you between 60 and 90 dollars on the average.

Or you can take the 12hours CHL class and it will cost you 95 to 150 dollars. The first 8 hours of the CHL class is primarily the 8 hour NRA class.

The range that is nearest my house, that offers the CHL course holds several classes a month and they are usually booked 2 months in advance. They usually take only 20 per class.

Post imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
    DopaVash wrote:
    Why stay in Texas then? Come to Wyoming. Visit the Free State Wyoming forum. http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php

You can OC everywhere, all the time and nobody will even notice most of the time. Federal laws apply, but that's it. There is not one word about OC in the Wyoming statutes. CC permit is easy to get and restrictions are few.

Wyoming, the REAL "Live Free or Die" state.

what the avg price for acreage out there??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast