• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Negative Open Carry Comment Poll

Which category best fits the majority of negative OC comments?

• Law Enforcement Officers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Government Official

• Business Owners, Managers, or Employees

• General Public

• Family Members

• Have had no negative comments

• I don't OC

• Concealed Permit Instructors

• Members of Other Gun Forums

• Total voters

MamaLiberty

imported post

DopaVash wrote:
I don't OC because I can't. Durn Texas laws!
Why stay in Texas then? Come to Wyoming. Visit the Free State Wyoming forum. http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php

You can OC everywhere, all the time and nobody will even notice most of the time. Federal laws apply, but that's it. There is not one word about OC in the Wyoming statutes. CC permit is easy to get and restrictions are few.

Wyoming, the REAL "Live Free or Die" state.

posterrich.jpg

wayneco

imported post

CCW classes are a cottage industry in Nevada. I calculated that our Saturday class of 16 students brought in a $2000-$3000 in teaching fees and we were only a medium sized class.

Not bad for a Saturday afternoon!

Lthrnck

imported post

Same here in Ohio.... you can take the 8 hour NRA Handgun Safery class and in will cost you between 60 and 90 dollars on the average.

Or you can take the 12hours CHL class and it will cost you 95 to 150 dollars. The first 8 hours of the CHL class is primarily the 8 hour NRA class.

The range that is nearest my house, that offers the CHL course holds several classes a month and they are usually booked 2 months in advance. They usually take only 20 per class.

rmodel65

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
DopaVash wrote:
Why stay in Texas then? Come to Wyoming. Visit the Free State Wyoming forum. http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php

You can OC everywhere, all the time and nobody will even notice most of the time. Federal laws apply, but that's it. There is not one word about OC in the Wyoming statutes. CC permit is easy to get and restrictions are few.

Wyoming, the REAL "Live Free or Die" state.

posterrich.jpg

what the avg price for acreage out there??

tarzan1888

imported post

I checked that I have had no negative comments, and I did that because I have never had one that I was not able to turn in such a way that when I left the people better understood the law and were no longer feeling threatened by me and my gun.:)

Tarzan

MamaLiberty

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:

It varies all over the place, like anywhere else so an "average" would be meaningless. Wooded land like this is at a premium, of course, and most of it is not available in small lots.

This might give you some ideas. http://www.homeplaceusa.com/Listings.htm

Or http://www.wyoranchseller.com/ Just for an example. Type "Wyoming Land" into a search enging and find hundreds more.

Taxes are low, people are friendly and nobody gets in your face... Lots and lots of jobs here too.

Sorry to hijack the thread, folks. Mods please move it as appropriate!

MamaLiberty

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
rmodel65 wrote:

It varies all over the place, like anywhere else so an "average" would be meaningless. Wooded land like this is at a premium, of course, and most of it is not available in small lots.

This might give you some ideas. http://www.homeplaceusa.com/Listings.htm

Or http://www.wyoranchseller.com/ Just for an example. Type "Wyoming Land" into a search engine and find hundreds more.

Taxes are low, people are friendly and nobody gets in your face... Lots and lots of jobs here too.

Sorry to hijack the thread, folks. Mods please move it as appropriate!

rmodel65

imported post

yeah sorry about the highjack:uhoh: those prices dont seem to out outrageous, I want a good size building for storage of cars maybe 5 plus some working area and a small 2 bedroom house even a trailer, heck I would live with the cars even:p and I would be set for life:D

Flintlock

imported post

DopaVash wrote:

No, I wouldn't suggest leaving because the laws suck unless it was Hawaii or D.C.

Keep working to change things, sooner or later it will come around in your favor. I would submit that it might be a bit easier to gain OC in Texas eventuallythan it would be in Maryland or Chicago.

Basic Guy

imported post

I had to reply "family member".

My step-mom is such a virulent, frothing-at-the-mouth, anti-gunner that I know never to OC around her. I would bet any sum of money that I would get less of a reaction if I showed up to Thanksgiving dinner drunk,in a blood-spattered clown suit, wearing a live rattlesnake for a neck tie, and fornicating with a chicken than if she saw me OC'ing any type of handgun.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Same here, except it's my real mom. I actually think she might almost be tempted disown me if she knew.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
DopaVash wrote:

No, I wouldn't suggest leaving because the laws suck unless it was Hawaii or D.C.

Keep working to change things, sooner or later it will come around in your favor. I would submit that it might be a bit easier to gain OC in Texas eventuallythan it would be in Maryland or Chicago.

No way I'm leaving my blessed land. I love this state and I'll do everything I possibly can to keep those damned gun-grabbing libbies from taking it.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm still not certain what mine would do. I always want to tell her, because it's part of who I am, but at the same time I don't think it would really do anything but disappoint and upset her. Oh well, I guess I'll probably mention it sometime.

It's interesting how my prediction turned out. I guess I was right about LEOs being up there, but I was wrong about business owners, they aren't nearly as high on the poll as I thought they'd be. Family members and LEOs seem to be the big ones, as well as "no negative comments." I'm very happy about that.

JMJ1987

imported post

Some LEO's will allway's have nothing good to say about armed civillian's. Mostly the one's on a power trip because it bring's you right up to there level of firepower and they can no longer bark bullshit at you all day long because its in there head that they dont have the upper hand because you posess the same defencive power as them. I bet they watch there ass alot more carefully when the other party is armed as well. I say tough shit for them, get used to it.

Orygunner

imported post

I had to select Family. My wife is completely against it, she's "embarassed" to be seen in public with me when I'm OCing, unless we're somewhere she feels is "dangerous", like out on a bike ride. When I started trying to OC recently, she was convinced I was just trying to be a bad ass by strapping on my pistol. We had alengthy discussion where I explained the primary reason (protection) and the secondary reason (activism), and I THINK I finally convinced her otherwise, but she still won't go out in public with me if I'm wearing it. She sees the risks of being confronted & embarassed as being more importantthan self-protection in places she feels are safe (like malls & restaurants). Her parents feel pretty much the same way.

I've already taken the required class for Oregon, and amapplying for my CHL this afternoon so I can carry concealed (at least when I'm with the wife & family). I'm planning on carrying openly as much as possible when I'm not out with the wife & in-laws.

...Orygunner...

hsmith

imported post

Only two issues I have ever had were both by LEO's. One was "apparently" and off duty LEO, the day after the Virginia Tech shootings. The other I was going to the grocery store at 2200 hours and a LEO was walking by and harassed me.

Family doesn't much care. G/F thinks it is fine and dandy. Her parents might have an issue with it, I normally conceal around them.

thx997303

imported post

I had to say LEO, because they are the only ones i've ever had a really negative experience with.

Funny thing is that my mother in law does not bother me about OC, but she doesn't think that my wife should. I don't think that she sees my wife as a competent adult.

Was at a dinner at their house, and my mother in law was telling my wife that she sees why I carry, but not why she carries, and that my daughter (who is just about 3 months old) is going to shoot herself.:quirky I intervened by telling her in a very firm tone, that whether my wife carries or not is up to her and nobody else, and that I do NOT want her bothering her about it again.

She shut up for a few hours, then started in on it again when she thought I wasn't listening, but since I was, I quickly stood up, which grabbed her attention, and told her that it was NOT UP FOR DISCUSSION. She hasn't bothered my wife about it since.