• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Negative Open Carry Comment Poll

Which category best fits the majority of negative OC comments?

• Law Enforcement Officers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Government Official

• Business Owners, Managers, or Employees

• General Public

• Family Members

• Have had no negative comments

• I don't OC

• Concealed Permit Instructors

• Members of Other Gun Forums

• Total voters

Weak 9mm

imported post

I have only had one experience that I considered "negative." It was a Food Bear employee, who decided to ask me a number of questions. I got the distinct feeling he did not think I needed a gun, and wanted to make me "think about what I was doing."

As a result, I voted for the Business Employee option.

Overall, I'm willing to bet that businesses and LEOs are going to have the most votes. I say this simply because I feel that in both situations the person making the comments has an illusion of being in power over (Or being "more experienced" than, "smarter" than, etc.) the carrier of the firearm.

nh92d

imported post

Had to vote for family member..my brother in-law questioned me why i needed to carry..asked if something had happened that caused me to feel like i needed a gun for protection.i simply said "it's like have auto/medical insurance,i'd feel better having it and not needing it,then to need it and not have it.."

granted his questions weren'tcompletely negative but i could sence that he felt that only certain people should carry..being in the military(and gun owner),i thought he'd feel different

wayneco

imported post

one more category:

ex LEOs turned CCW instructors :)

My CCW instructors went so far as to tell me that it was against local city law to open carry in nearby incorporated areas of Reno, Sparks Carson City despite there never, ever being any case law to support the claim and Nevada law pre-emptying any and all non-state level laws against anything gun related except discharge.

I of course, being a member of this board, am well versed on what's what with the states in which I often find myself and immediately rebutted that they were wrong.

I understand why they said it, because we are all there getting licensed to carry concealed and they simply believe it's easier to carry concealed but I open carry to remind others to do so as well -- a statement impossible to make while concealing.

The instructors said it ultimately because they seek to keep us out of harm's way but they could have just said that instead of saying it wasn't legal and would very likely result in us being detained by LEOs. People on this forum (the NV board) open carry all the time in Reno without incident.

wayneco

imported post

Maybe members of the CCW instruction cottage industry feel threatened by people discovering that their state is legal OC when they make so much money from the CCW classes? :)

I don't see them as mutually exclusive at all... they are yin and yang -- perfectly complementary activities. I will often OC while my wife would almost exclusively CC but we both appreciate the right to do either.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

I get more crap from the general public then anybody else. Most often it's a stare or something muttered under their breath. I've had one thumbs up from an older man in Fredericksburg, and one lenghty conversation with a man walking down the street near my neighborhood. To whom I replied, that just as the Constitution secure's your write to freedom of speech it secure's my right to bear arms. I can tell my neighbors don't like it, but who cares. They'll be the first ones on my doorstep when the robber's come. I went to a restaurant recentlywhich I frequent (OC'ing of course) with my gun on my side and my Ka Bar TDI knife in plain site and I thought the waiter was going to faint.

Waiter-:shock:

Me-:p

PEICE!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I added Members of Other Gun Forums (Rabid Concealers). That's where I've had the most myself too. Also added CHP Instructors too.

(You can always change your vote)

I also edited the title a bit to make it more clear about the poll.

MustangDave

imported post

My mom, g/f, and her parents hate me OCing. My g/f's dad told her he thinks it's stupid, her mom told her she's not to me around me when I carry (like I'm some kind of nut wanting to shoot someone). I don't think her family would agree with me carrying even if I had a CCDW.

Aran

Banned
imported post

I've had exactly two negative comments, not counting the bad LEO encounter I had that was purely ridiculous and venomous, outside of the thousands of negative comments I've seen about OC on gun forums and in gun-related IRC channels.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

wayneco wrote:
Maybe members of the CCW instruction cottage industry feel threatened by people discovering that their state is legal OC when they make so much money from the CCW classes? :)

I don't see them as mutually exclusive at all... they are yin and yang -- perfectly complementary activities. I will often OC while my wife would almost exclusively CC but we both appreciate the right to do either.
Under circumstances where 'ccw' is percieved to be the only lawful means to carry-- yes, unlicensed open carry definately cuts into the profit margin of 'CCW" instructors... it is a threat to their bottom line... certainly they will discourage OC.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
wayneco wrote:

Under circumstances where 'ccw' is percieved to be the only lawful means to carry-- yes, unlicensed open carry definately cuts into the profit margin of 'CCW" instructors... it is a threat to their bottom line... certainly they will discourage OC.
Actually that's the same reason someLEO's don't like citizens who carry. Less criminals to justify their jobs. It's always about the money.

rmodel65

imported post

mine have been from family at a cook out last weekend in a county park, my uncle tried to tell me it was illegal b/c it was a public gathering

ron-357

imported post

In the two weeks that I OC, I had as many bad experiences - both in places that sell guns!! The first was at Cabela's in Wheeling, WV in which the employee who freaked out worked in the firearms department (the one who should know the gun laws) not the greeter who glanced down, smiled and asked me if I would want info on their credit card special, then wished me a good day. The other experience was at a family owned local sporting goods store, which sells primarily firearms and firearm accessories. Why is it that the ones who sell the guns either do not know the gun laws, or do not let you carry in their store (pretty hypocritical)! Speaking of those who sell and do not permit carrying - Kmart sells firearms, but the have posted that no one is allowed to carry in their store.

Aran

Banned
imported post

ron-357 wrote:
In the two weeks that I OC, I had as many bad experiences - both in places that sell guns!! The first was at Cabela's in Wheeling, WV in which the employee who freaked out worked in the firearms department (the one who should know the gun laws) not the greeter who glanced down, smiled and asked me if I would want info on their credit card special, then wished me a good day. The other experience was at a family owned local sporting goods store, which sells primarily firearms and firearm accessories. Why is it that the ones who sell the guns either do not know the gun laws, or do not let you carry in their store (pretty hypocritical)! Speaking of those who sell and do not permit carrying - Kmart sells firearms, but the have posted that no one is allowed to carry in their store.

It's funny that people keep mentioning KMart as anti-OC, when that's the only big-box store I don't ever have issues in when I carry. Though I HAVE talked to the manager about it (When I was in there buying a shotgun, he asked me about it, and I told him pretty much "You'll never have to worry about it. It stays right where it is and I never remove it except at home, or when it's absolutely needed."

After that conversation I've never been even looked at funny at the local KMart. Actually a few employees who wandered by when I was back there have even struck up friendly conversation since then.

That's the problem with anecdotal evidence, everyone has their own experience. (Like all my bad experiences at WalMart)

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Same here. The local Super K-Mart here in Reno is about 1/4 mile away andI'm in there 3-4 times a week OC'ing every time. In customer service, checkouts, by sporting goods and fondling the melons in produce...never a peep from anyone.

ron-357

imported post

Aran wrote:
ron-357 wrote:

It's funny that people keep mentioning KMart as anti-OC, when that's the only big-box store I don't ever have issues in when I carry. Though I HAVE talked to the manager about it (When I was in there buying a shotgun, he asked me about it, and I told him pretty much "You'll never have to worry about it. It stays right where it is and I never remove it except at home, or when it's absolutely needed."

After that conversation I've never been even looked at funny at the local KMart. Actually a few employees who wandered by when I was back there have even struck up friendly conversation since then.

That's the problem with anecdotal evidence, everyone has their own experience. (Like all my bad experiences at WalMart)
It is against the law for me to carry in K-mart, no matter if it it OC or CC. Our K-mart is attached to the Ohio Valley Mall and it is the ONLY store that prohibits firearms!!! They have signs posted at the outside and inside mall entrances to their store in compliance to Ohio Revised Code. So if you are carrying a firearm and step foot in the store, you are guilty of criminal trespassing and will lose your CCL privileges!

MamaLiberty

imported post

wayneco wrote:
Maybe members of the CCW instruction cottage industry feel threatened by people discovering that their state is legal OC when they make so much money from the CCW classes?

I don't know how it works where you live, but I don't know any local firearms instructors who make any money at it. I'm a certified instructor for handgun and self defense, teaching mostly novices. I also teach a cc permit class once in a while. CC isn't a big deal here in Wyoming, so that may be the difference. In any case, I rarely get more than expenses out of it, and that's just fine with me because my purpose is to help people become both competent and confident in self defense, especially other women. I offer the class free to anyone who couldn't otherwise afford it, asking only that they pay for their own ammunition. I even loan them my guns if needed.

That said, I refuse to carry concealed myself, and carry openly full time, everywhere I go. I don't have anything against cc except for the fact that it does not help others get used to the idea that ordinary people can and should be armed everyday, everywhere.