• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

POLL: Does deterrent effect, if any, effect your OC decision

Assuming you are going to carry a firearm anyway, which of the following is true as to why/when you

• I OC primarily because I believe it has a deterrent effect on crime.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I OC and do not care if it has a deterrent effect on crime OR do not believe it has a significant de

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The discussion on whether or not OCing a full size pistol is a deterrent led me to wonder if such a real/perceived deterrent effect has much effect on decisions to OC. Some seem to think that this belief is a significant driving force in OC. I don't think most people OC because of a deterrent effect, but are happy if there is one. I could be absolutely and totally wrong, hence the poll.

imperialism2024

imported post

Picked the second option. It's a minor motivation.

I probably have one of the more unique primary reasons for open carrying: it enables me to carry larger handguns. Probably after that is the ease of access. Then there's the "because I can, and I'll be damned if you're going to make me hide my gun" factor. Somewhere below that lies the deterrent factor.

I have a standing challenge to anyone to find a comfortable way to conceal my handgun without the use of an outer garment. :D

Aran

Banned
imported post

I think my biggest crime deterrant is being 6'3" and built like a small tank, and rarely looking the least bit friendly. The Glock or Witness on my hip would only reinforce the last point, if anything.

imperialism2024

imported post

Aran wrote:
I think my biggest crime deterrant is being 6'3" and built like a small tank, and rarely looking the least bit friendly. The Glock or Witness on my hip would only reinforce the last point, if anything.
Carrying a witness on your hip? I mean, I've heard expressions about carrying an LEO on one's hip, but a witness? Sounds like something for http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/10541.html

;)

Aran

Banned
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Aran wrote:
Carrying a witness on your hip? I mean, I've heard expressions about carrying an LEO on one's hip, but a witness? Sounds like something for http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/10541.html

;)

I know YOU don't need it pointed out, but someone, somewhere, reading this thread might. It's an EAA Witness, an Italian import made by Tanfoglio, patterened after the CZ-75

Slade

imported post

One incident where my open carrying a G21 @ the time (may have) prevented an assault/robbery (I believe) at an ATM.

Short version: Downtown gas station (best prices or you wouldn't catch me there) and went in to grab some cash. Middle of the day, bright sunshine but -10F outside. (Great Mn spring) I'm carrying OWB with a light jacket open. I note a young, large, male moving closer and closer to the ATM as I progress through the process. Oddly, he's dressed in NBA warm up with multiple gold chains...hmmm, looks a bit out of place today. He's fidgety and looking outside and back to me. I turned toward him to make eye contact and let him know I knew he was there. (Honest truth is I didn't even think how the 21 would present if I did this.) As I turn my jacket opens up a bit. He's looking directly at me and scowling. Then I see him look down, pull a Buckwheat, and double time it in the opposite direction.

As I left the station I told the attendents to keep an eye on that guy. They said they'd been nervous about him for about 15 mintutes and were just getting ready to call the Police when he left.

Not saying OC deterred, not saying it didn't. But I'm pleased with the outcome that's for sure.

icode

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Slade wrote:
Not saying OC deterred, not saying it didn't. But I'm please with the outcome that's for sure.
I'm leaning towards "did." ;)
Yeah, I'd have to go along with that. Most if not all "predetors" go after the perceived weak. We see it all the time in the animal kingdom. The human predetors IME are NO different. In fact when I was attacked I was perceived very weak, I had a full arm cast on my left arm!

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Last year when I started Ocing there was two people dealing in the common area where I lived. One day I was walking to the mailbox Ocing and they were walking toward me, one of had that smirk on his face looking at me. You know the look some people give because they really want you to break eye contact. When he looked down and saw my GLOCK 26 the smirk left his face and he tapped his partner and showed him. They kept walking down the street, the one with the smirk kept looking back. After that I never saw them around much. ;)

SANDCREEK

imported post

Unless a "perp" is high on drugs or mentally challenged he will not be "comfortable" lurking about where other shoppers are OC'ing. Any reasoned consideration of OC would have to concede that the presence of armed citizens in a retail store would reduce the rate of shop lifting as well as crimes against persons. This is the reason retail merchandise stores will eventually come around on lawful OC.

AbNo

imported post

Missing Options....

"I OC and it HAS deterred a crime"
(---- Me at 7-11

"I OC to educate people on their rights" (a lot of people here)

"I OC because I don't want my name to be published in the paper." (--- Also me

"I OC because getting a CHP is incompatible with my work/school schedule/a big pain in the :cuss:ss." (--- Also me