• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sadness in Stafford

bohdi

imported post

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3vx98t

By Debbi Wilgoren, Martin Weil and Elissa Silverman
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, May 6, 2008; 9:41 AM

A Stafford County man fatally shot his girlfriend and their two young children last night in the mobile home park where they lived, then used the gun to take his own life, authorities said this morning.

The dead woman, 23-year-old Latasha Nicole Thomas, apparently called a relative for help earlier in the day, then phoned back to say everything was all right, said Bill Kennedy, a spokesman for the Stafford County Sheriff's Office.

Kennedy identified the alleged gunman as Aaron Poseidon Jackson, 24, who had a daughter and son with Thomas.

Kennedy said Thomas had lived in the mobile home park in the Falmouth area of Stafford County for about six months, with 2 1/2 -year-old Nicole Aaron Jackson and 1 1/2 -year-old Aaron Neptune Jackson. It was not clear whether the man lived with the family throughout that time.

A relative of Thomas's received at least two phone calls from her yesterday, in which Thomas said she was having a physical altercation with Jackson, and needed to get out of the trailer, Kennedy said.

But the relative, who could not get to the mobile home park for several hours, told investigators Thomas called again around 9 p.m. to say everything was all right, Kennedy said.

The relative "was on her way anyway and just kept on coming," Kennedy said. When no one answered the door of the trailer, the relative knocked on a neighbor's door and was told neighbors had heard what they thought were gunshots about 10 minutes earlier.

The relative then called 911, Kennedy said. Sheriff's deputies responded, entered the trailer and found the bodies of Thomas, Jackson and their daughter and son. The children were in the bedroom, in their cribs, Kennedy said. The adults were in the living room. All four had been shot in the head. Deputies recovered a gun from the scene.

Investigators are now trying to piece together information about the lives of Thomas and Jackson. Kennedy said the sheriff's department had no record of calls from Thomas about disputes with Jackson or any other issues.

Thomas and Jackson were apparently pronounced dead on the scene, Stafford County administrator Anthony J. Romanello said last night. The two children were both taken to hospitals, but could not be revived, Romanello said.

The shootings occurred in a trailer on Walt Way, a short street that is just west of Route 1, Romanello said. The location is a few miles north of Fredericksburg. It is about a mile east of the heavily traveled Interstate 95.

The shootings mark the second incident in less than a week in which very young children were allegedly killed in Stafford County, a once-rural area about 40 miles south of Washington that has developed into an outlying suburb.

A -month-old girl from the northern part of the county died Thursday of injuries that allegedly resulted from being violently shaken a week earlier. A 22-year-old man has been charged in her death.

Makes me wonder about the gun and how they got it.

Edited to include link.....

casullshooter

imported post

Too bad the family member did not send out the Sheriff on their own. Not trying to be a Monday quarterback here. I just hope this will spur others to action in the inevitable future repeat of this story elsewhere.

LEO 229

imported post

The murder - suicide.... :?

Relationships can take their toll on people and emotions run high real fast!!

Nobody could have stopped this unless the she was able to walk out. I suspect she told him she was leaving him and that set him off.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yeah, I started to make that comment. How does a .38 revolver, Taurus PT145 pistol, an AK variant, a Ruger 10/22, and a shotgun make for a lot. The long guns just cover the basic calibers if you hunt. He did have 5 bladed weapons.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Yeah, I started to make that comment. How does a .38 revolver, Taurus PT145 pistol, an AK variant, a Ruger 10/22, and a shotgun make for a lot. The long guns just cover the basic calibers if you hunt. He did have 5 bladed weapons.
I see that all the time. I don't remember which one but one national story talked about a suspect (He didn't shoot anyone) who had an arsenal. HE had about a dozen guns and over half were muzzle loaders from what I saw in the pictures.

Counting muzzle loaders, I have hundreds of guns and edged weapons go to the thousands if you count the junk box at the forge.

Ammunition can easily go above 10,000 if you include .22's. If it's on sale, I buy a couple of thousand 22's at once.

It's all media hype. Anything to sell a little air time.

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
rlh2005 wrote:
updated FLS article. The headline is "Gunman heavily armed."

What would they call me with 24 guns and 10,000 rounds of ammo????
A well armed Defender of us defenseless citizens ?:lol::lol::lol::lol:
My friends know where togo when the Canadians come South.

Good one, first out loud laugh of the day :) but I seriously doubt they'll ever do that, they don't have any guns.

Bullbuster

imported post

I'd say ya need more guns and ammo.

My wife askes me from time to time why I have so much ammo. I tell her its not good to be the first one to run out of ammo in a gun fight.

Neplusultra

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:

My wife askes me from time to time why I have so much ammo. I tell her its not good to be the first one to run out of ammo in a gun fight.
Ok, that one's good too. Second out loud laugh of the day :^)!

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bullbuster wrote:

I have GOT to order some more!:celebrate

possumboy

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
updated FLS article. The headline is "Gunman heavily armed."

I have always pictured that they were carrying something like a Rock Island Armory 1911. It weights about three times what my Kimber 1911 does.

This is not a comment on quality, people I know that have them do not have problems, they are just heavy.