• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shootig on Campus?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ridiculous. What can you say about something so silly and stupid? One guy may have a gun so an entire campus of adults lock themselves in their rooms like 6 year old who refused to clean up his toys. How does this make sense to anyone. And on a college campus where one would expect at least a smattering of intelligence.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Ridiculous. What can you say about something so silly and stupid? One guy may have a gun so an entire campus of adults lock themselves in their rooms like 6 year old who refused to clean up his toys. How does this make sense to anyone. And on a college campus where one would expect at least a smattering of intelligence.
May 2, 1970, The students at Kent State burn the ROTC Building, May 4, they riot and even after being fired on by the guard, try to storm the guard in mass to kill the shooters.

May 6, 2008, the students at University of Richmond hike up their skirts and lock themselves in their rooms.....because someone may have had a gun.....

Take a look at our future leaders!

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Does that hat say BMWAG?:shock:

ur1.jpg
Where'd you get the photo? I assume this is an actual photo of the guy.....

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Yeah, I guess I would have been a little suspicious too if I saw a guy with a gun *and* a fake beard. What was that about?

Of course if he really did mean harm he would have just shot his way into the library and do whatever he wanted to do. Just like the guy who tried to kill Tom DeLay in his office. Shot the two guards at the metal detector at the entrance and then ran down the hall before being shot by another guard that was in DeLay's office.

You'd have to install double door security entrances like many jewelry shops have. One person goes in to a small bullet proof room, the door locks behind him and the door into the shop is also locked, he's basically in a bullet proof cage. He then walks through a metal detector and if he's good the second door unlocks. The guard is outside this cage. A much better system than open air metal detectors.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I still think it's a prank of some kind and the locals just over reacted. Shouting "the sky is falling" has become stylish,

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I still think it's a prank of some kind and the locals just over reacted. Shouting "the sky is falling" has become stylish,
I would say you're right, as this would make the most sense. Why have a fake beard if you meant harm? I'd say the gun was probably an airsoft gun too. They look truly realistic.

What ever happened to the Ferrum college hoopla? I can't find the thread now.

ScottyT

imported post

peter nap wrote:
"Search for gunman continues; security tight at UR"

I thought one only becomes a "gunman" after shots have been fired. That is not the actual definition, but it seems like that word is primarily used when a shooting has occured.

What the hell is up with the fake beard? This is a very odd story...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ScottyT wrote:
peter nap wrote:
"

What the hell is up with the fake beard? This is a very odd story...
Geeze, has college really changed that much that you need a real reason to do something?

I knew a fellow who had the art department paint a thundercloud and lightening bolt on his chest and back and streaked naked through a Loggins and Messina concert. I can't remember a good reason for it other than it was a slow day.:shock:

vt357

imported post

Interesting... 19 yo Seth Newman of Henrico County. I just checked out his facebook page (it is open to people in the Richmond network - at least it is for now. It will probably be shut down soon). He seemed like a nice kid - even took a mission trip to Mexico with his church last year. The gun he had was apparently a bb gun. Looks like he has permanently screwed up his life. I wonder what his motivations were.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

vt357 wrote:
Interesting... 19 yo Seth Newman of Henrico County. I just checked out his facebook page (it is open to people in the Richmond network - at least it is for now. It will probably be shut down soon). He seemed like a nice kid - even took a mission trip to Mexico with his church last year. The gun he had was apparently a bb gun. Looks like he has permanently screwed up his life. I wonder what his motivations were.
Any word on what he was charged with?

vt357

imported post

peter nap wrote:
vt357 wrote:
Concealing his identy (the beard) - felony
Impersonating an officer (the sherriff jacket) - misdemeanor
Wearing the uniform of an officer (the sherriff jacket) - misdemeanor

I don't think that last one will stick, maybe not even the second one. It was just a jacket that you can buy anywhere. He wasn't wearing a badge or a real uniform.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

vt357 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
vt357 wrote:
Concealing his identy (the beard) - felony
Impersonating an officer (the sherriff jacket) - misdemeanor
Wearing the uniform of an officer (the sherriff jacket) - misdemeanor

I don't think that last one will stick, maybe not even the second one. It was just a jacket that you can buy anywhere. He wasn't wearing a badge or a real uniform.

That's about what I figured. I'm not suer the beard will stick. That statute has had it's feathers trimmed a lot. A mask would be worse. The Commonwealth has to prove that he had the intent to deceive, rather than just change his appearance.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

We did plenty of things in college that seemed like a good idea at the time for various reasons that in hindsight were really stupid. Part of being young and learning experiences.

Now, even if it were a stupid prank or something pretty much innocuous that got people all excited, with all the hype and hysteria the person(s) who did it, for purposes of self-preservation and not getting a felony domestic terrorism charge or something else draconian on their record, will lay low and hope it just goes away.

At one time, when kids and younger people did something stupid for prank they got a stern talking to and maybe some community service type punishment but nothing that would scar them for life or ruin their futures. Now we see criminal charges leveled for tried and true age old traditions like kidnapping a rival school's mascot.

I'm not arguing that this is what happened, just suggesting it as a possibility.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
We did plenty of things in college that seemed like a good idea at the time for various reasons that in hindsight were really stupid. Part of being young and learning experiences.

Now, even if it were a stupid prank or something pretty much innocuous that got people all excited, with all the hype and hysteria the person(s) who did it, for purposes of self-preservation and not getting a felony domestic terrorism charge or something else draconian on their record, will lay low and hope it just goes away.

At one time, when kids and younger people did something stupid for prank they got a stern talking to and maybe some community service type punishment but nothing that would scar them for life or ruin their futures. Now we see criminal charges leveled for tried and true age old traditions like kidnapping a rival school's mascot.

I'm not arguing that this is what happened, just suggesting it as a possibility.

Without knowing more and we may not ever know the whole thing, I have to agree with you.

The very fact that there was as much blind terror as there was, does not speak well of this day and age.

Neplusultra

imported post

What happened to the thread about the supposed gun toter at Ferrum college? I can't find it now. I wanted to get the sheriff's phone number off it to give him a call and see what the final result was.

67GT390FB

imported post

Police say U-of-R scare suspect has no connection to university
From NBC12 News

Police have arrested a suspect in Tuesday's scare at the University of Richmond that prompted a four-hour lockdown.

Authorities say a tip from the community led them to their suspect in Henrico County. They arrested Seth Newman, 19, yesterday afternoon at his home on Chadwick Drive, where they say they also found a realistic-looking pellet gun.

Newman is now facing several charges in connection to the gun scare at the U-of-R campus that led to an intensive search for a man spotted at the library wearing a disguise and carrying what appeared to be a handgun.

"The community and the media assisted greatly in putting out an informative description which led to the tip we received to the exact location of where this individual lived and recovery of elements of evidence," said Richmond Police Chief Rodney Monroe.

Newman is being charged with a felony count of hiding his identity, as well as two misdemeanors that include impersonating and acting like a law enforcement officer.

Police say there's no word on what Newman's possible motive could be. He has no known connection to the university and police don't believe the teen has been in trouble before.

NBC12 legal analyst Steve Benjamin says the charge of "hiding one's identity" is a class-six felony dating back to the Ku Klux Klan era, where members wore masks in public.

Benjamin says it's an unusual charge that's not often used, but does carry a punishment of up to five years in jail.

my prediction is that if they don't come up with somethig else to charge him with it will be like the "brandishing" episode at UVA, which i think wound up dismissed or dismissed with community service.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

An insanity defense may be coming? From today's Richmond Times he appears to have some type of mental illness possibly schizophrenia.

"A search warrant for the University of Richmond gun scare suspect's home says he went into a campus library on Tuesday and told a worker there that he had heard people were having sex inside the building.

According to the warrant to search the home of Seth A. Newman, a UR library employee said the suspect was wearing a sheriff's jacket "stated to her that he was a police officer, and that he had heard that people had been fornicating in the library and that he needed to spend the night." The worker "asked for identification, he did not produce any, and then left the building....

Newman has worked as a dishwasher for three years at St. Joseph's Home for the Aged, run by the Little Sisters of the Poor near the Koger West Office Park in western Henrico. He was on his day off Tuesday when the UR incident occurred, said Stephen Neill, a spokesman for the Catholic Diocese of Richmond."