• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Article on the militarization of our police departments

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

smccomas wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
How does it detract from the discussion? It is public info pertinent to the people and question. I note that you quoted it.
you are correct it doesnt detract really, seemed odd place to put already public information. sort of like me doing a screen shot from bigyellow.com for a pizza joint.

Kind'a like a picture-image, worth a thousand words but not specified by any but the observer.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm ex-military and fully support the military. I also realize my training and police training should be very different. While small arms handling overlaps, military doctrine is very dangerous in urban ares - just ask your average Iraqi. This has always been true, even the Romans stationed their armies outside of Rome proper. Security from muggers doens not justify the risk posed by professional soldiers operating in US cities. The founding fathers were not fools.
launch.png

Flintlock

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I did not see "torch teams" in NYC so I cannot respond since I have no clue what they were doing. If you are speaking about teams assigned to protect the events surrounding the torch run...

This was the issue ofTorch Teams thatI was reffering to:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=10237&forum_id=4&highlight=torch+teams

Do you believe the federal government has some type of control to assemble and control local police departments to do their bidding?

Umm, actually... Yes.. Absolutely.. Who do you think takes over during "states of emergency?" FEMA, The Homeland Security Department, and Northcom.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Losing+service-oriented+police:+state+and+local+police+departments,...-a0144563298

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/HSA_RoAPS.html

Homeland Security Act

Federal Supervision of First Responders

The biggest charge that Jasper makes against the Homeland Security Act is that it "mandates federal supervision, funding, and coordination of `local first responders' -- specifically police and emergency personnel," thus expanding federal control of local law enforcement.

The sections in the Homeland Security Act that concern "first responders" are in Title V: Emergency Preparedness and Response, but there is no specific mandate of federal control over local police. The provision simply provides for coordination and guidance. Although centralization appears to be the only way to properly handle emergency preparedness on a sufficiently large scale to protect our country, there is, nonetheless, reason for concern that central federal coordination could lead to loss of local control and to potential federal militarization, especially in view of the many other measures and events that support such a possibility -- such as, the Military Tribunals without constitutional procedural protections, the preemptive "war" on Iraq, the refusal of hearings and legal representation to "unlawful enemy combatants" and Guantanamo detainees, the indefinite detention of immigrants who are not even determined to be a danger (also often without hearings or representation), information-sharing provisions, the mixing of foreign and domestic investigations under FISA, Citizen Corps, and many more new measures now under the Homeland Security Act enumerated below.

According to the United States Northern Command (USNC), "First responders are the men and women who are `first on the scene' as a natural or man-made disaster unfolds. They are also the last to leave the scene. First responders are policemen, firemen, emergency medical technicians. ... There are 11 million state and local first responders in 87,000 jurisdictions throughout the United States."[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][12][/size][/font]

The USNC states that: "Our nation's structure of overlapping federal, state, and local governance -- more than 87,000 different jurisdictions -- provides a unique opportunity and challenge for U.S. Northern Command. Operations are underway to develop interconnected and complementary relationships and plans to support first responders. Everyone on this broad team, including U.S. Northern Command, wants to ensure the safety and security of the American people" (emphasis added).

USNC notes that the Posse Comitatus Act (18 USC 1385)[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][13][/size][/font] "generally prohibits U.S. military personnel from interdicting vehicles, vessels and aircraft; conducting surveillance, searches, pursuit and seizures; or making arrests on behalf of civilian law enforcement authorities."

USNC adds: "Prohibiting direct military involvement in law enforcement is in keeping with long-standing U.S. law and policy limiting the military's role in domestic affairs."

However, the USNC notes four statutory exceptions to this prohibition: (1) counter-drug assistance (10 USC 371-81), (2) Insurrection Act (10 USC 331-34), (3) crimes using nuclear materials ( 18 USC 831), and (4) chemical or biological weapons of mass destruction (10 USC 382).

According to a March 6, 2002 article by Gary Seigle on Government Executive Magazine, titled "`First responders' to terrorism seek federal strategy, equipment," first responders themselves were seeking federal assistance and guidance. Seigle writes: "A national training standard should be established and maintained by the federal government for first responders who are poorly prepared and equipped to recognize or respond to a weapon of mass destruction attack, emergency officials told a congressional subcommittee yesterday."[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][14][/size][/font]

According to the New York Times, General Ralph E. Eberhart, now in charge of USNC, said earlier this year that he would welcome a review of existing restrictions against using military forces domestically. (See Part 2 of this series, footnote 8.) Meaning, presumably, overturning the Posse Comitatus Act. Doing so would essentially mean allowing a standing domestic army.

James Madison, a proponent of strong national government, wrote:

[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]
In time of actual war, great discretionary powers are constantly given to the executive magistrate. Constant apprehension of war has the same tendency to render the head too large for the body. A standing military force with an overgrown executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. [font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][15][/size][/font]
[/size][/font]​
Patrick Henry said: "A standing army [will] execute the execrable commands of tyranny." This is "a most dangerous power," he declared.[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][16][/size][/font]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And also not to forget that the government sends in fully armedparamilitary operatives (civilians)under contract with Homeland Security to police our citizens during times of civil disobedience as well, not to mention the federal law enforcement agencies and the Coast Guard that are involved during those times. What happens in Fairfax to the local law enforcement officials when the feds and troopsmove into a disaster or emergency?

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/091005A.shtml

This discussion is just that, a discussion of ideas and learning. It's not some paranoid delusionalstatus that causes me to lose any sleep. I simply stay informed and have opinions about what I see, hear, and read.I am a student of history and a constitutionalist. I am politically active and try to change things in the nation and my state through legal means by writing, voting, etc.. That's all these debatesare about for me. I don't anticipate changing anybody's mind..

LEO 229

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I did not see "torch teams" in NYC so I cannot respond since I have no clue what they were doing. If you are speaking about teams assigned to protect the events surrounding the torch run...
This was the issue ofTorch Teams thatI was reffering to:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=10237&forum_id=4&highlight=torch+teams

Do you believe the federal government has some type of control to assemble and control local police departments to do their bidding?

Umm, actually... Yes.. Absolutely.. Who do you think takes over during "states of emergency?" FEMA, The Homeland Security Department, and Northcom.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Losing+service-oriented+police:+state+and+local+police+departments,...-a0144563298

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/HSA_RoAPS.html

Homeland Security Act

Federal Supervision of First Responders

....snipped
The torch teams with the guns were clearlyunderground protecting the subway with 5 million riders daily. This is a big target for terrorists. I have no problem with that. Why do you? Would you rather have the police patrol with handguns alone? Not having quick access to rifles in their police car up on the surface.

Wait!! The police can call "TIME OUT!! Stop firing that AK so we can go get our rifles too!! We will be back in about 20 minutes!!"

:banghead:

Your second half was too much reading about pretty much nothing. Police and Fire are first responders to events. Notice I said.. responders!!! As this is what they do. The federal government does not tell them to go to disasters as they are going to go anyway.

Maybe you can point out the items you feel are of interest.

Flintlock

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
The torch teams with the guns were clearlyunderground protecting the subway with 5 million riders daily. This is a big target for terrorists. I have no problem with that. Why do you? Would you rather have the police patrol with handguns alone? Not having quick access to rifles in their police car up on the surface.

Wait!! The police can call "TIME OUT!! Stop firing that AK so we can go get our rifles too!! We will be back in about 20 minutes!!"

:banghead:

Your second half was too much reading about pretty much nothing. Police and Fire are first responders to events. Notice I said.. responders!!! As this is what they do. The federal government does not tell them to go to disasters as they are going to go anyway.

Maybe you can point out the items you feel are of interest.

Wow, 229, if you are not evengoing to read my post, then why bother to comment?

In this very thread, I previously mentioned that I think police officers should be issued rifles to combat robbers and gang bangers. However, your comment about there being nothing wrong with police armed with machine guns patrolling the subways because of the potential terrorist targeting is absurd and the opitome of the begginings of the police state you so eloquently mentioned in an ealier post. That argument can be made for anything because it relates to "safety."

How many terrorists have mowed people down with AK's in the subways that police have had to deal with in NYC? I haven't read of any such incidents, in fact. If there are some, I'd like to read about them...And yes, Iam aware of the North Hollywood shootout, hence my reasoning for not having a problem with issuing rifles to officers in the first place. I thought it was sad that they had to raid a gun shop for weapons and ammunition...

Additionally, what are soldier-equiped officers going to do to combat suicide bombers and other terrorists that have pre-planned a bombing, IED, or some other such terrorist plot that is concealed and much more likely to occurr than what you are describing?

Umm, nothing... So it's a government presence to scare people into not doing anything? We haven't had any such incidents without such a presence.. Why now?

That area is a citizen disarmed zone. Why not let the citizens be responsible for their own security as the SCOTUS has concluded, and let them carry arms for their own defense instead?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
SNIP police armed with machine guns patrolling the subways because of the potential terrorist targeting is absurd and the opitome of the begginings of the police state you...That argument can be made for anything because it relates to "safety."

How many terrorists have mowed people down with AK's in the subways that police have had to deal with in NYC? I haven't read of any such incidents, in fact. If there are some, I'd like to read about them...

Additionally, what are soldier-equiped officers going to do to combat suicide bombers and other terrorists that have pre-planned a bombing, IED, or some other such terrorist plot that is concealed and much more likely to occurr than what you are describing?

Umm, nothing... So it's a government presence to scare people into not doing anything? We haven't had any such incidents without such a presence.. Why now?

That area is a citizen disarmed zone. Why not let the citizens be responsible for their own security as the SCOTUS has concluded, and let them carry arms for their own defense instead?
+1

smccomas

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
SNIP police armed with machine guns patrolling the subways because of the potential terrorist targeting is absurd and the opitome of the begginings of the police state you...That argument can be made for anything because it relates to "safety."

How many terrorists have mowed people down with AK's in the subways that police have had to deal with in NYC? I haven't read of any such incidents, in fact. If there are some, I'd like to read about them...

+1
Indeed

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
[font="Verdana,Sans-serif"]+3

and...

This is why you don't give normal police military weapons and tactics: they're human and abuse power just like everyone else.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080507/D90GT1QO0.html

Philly officers taken off street after videotaped beating[/b]
[/font]

[font="Verdana,Sans-serif"]

May 7, 11:52 AM (ET)

By PATRICK WALTERS [/font][font="Verdana,Sans-serif"] p {margin:12px 0px 0px 0px;} PHILADELPHIA (AP) - More than a dozen police officers will be taken off the street as authorities investigate a video showing three suspects being kicked, punched and beaten after they were pulled out of a car during a traffic stop, the mayor's office said.
"At a glance it does appear to be a bit beyond the pale," said Doug Oliver, a spokesman for Mayor Michael Nutter. "Officers are not allowed to operate outside of the law." (article continues...)

[/font]
launch.png

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Simple American cultural/political reality. Real Americans will not let total militarization of law enforcement stand. Act like a standing army suppressing citizens in this country and you will deserve the insurgency you get in return.

eta: God Bless America.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO229, I know you have admitted in a few other threads that you do not always thoroughly read posts before responding because of time constraints and I hope that is the case in this thread because you apparently did not read my post thoroughly. I did not say anything about federal control of local law enforcement.

My firepower not replacing police work is not about stopping the Hollywood Bandits but rather about overwhelming military type force serving search warrants, making arrests, running simple stings, etc. The Hollywood Bandit situation is about the only type of situation for which SWAT SHOULD be mobilized and should even exist. Sometimes I think you are being intentionally or disingenuously obtuse.

Jim675 wrote:
I'm ex-military and fully support the military. I also realize my training and police training should be very different. While small arms handling overlaps, military doctrine is very dangerous in urban ares - just ask your average Iraqi. This has always been true, even the Romans stationed their armies outside of Rome proper. Security from muggers doens not justify the risk posed by professional soldiers operating in US cities. The founding fathers were not fools.
launch.png
ABSOLUTELY. Exactly fitting with the points I was making.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smccomas wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Flintlock wrote:

+1
Indeed
QFT!

imperialism2024

imported post

LEO229, I think what you're ignoring is the symbolic aspect of the militarization of the police. The job of a soldier is to kill. The job of an LEO is to... enforce law. Investigate crimes. In other words, not just to kill. Confusing the two leads to the excessive and/or unjustified force against civilians that we're seeing sprout up.

With that being said, I'll reiterate what I stated before: I have no problem with LEOs having rifles and other more "tactical" guns. They need to protect themselves when they're expected to engage dangerous criminals.

It's the increasingly more prevalent attitude of militarization that needs to be stopped. Those (hopefully) few LEOs who want to play soldier should grow a pair, join the military, and then shoot at an enemy who regularly shoots back with real guns... and bombs... and RPGs... If they want war, then they should go to a real war rather than trying to turn America into a play battlefield. It's the attitude, and unfortunately an attitude perpetuated by our beloved politicians.

Weak 9mm

imported post

LEO229 often complains about the officer's safety. The officer is PAID to risk their life, if called to do so, to protect the public from crime. That is the reason they enforce laws to begin with.

If the officer is not willing to risk their life to ascertain things like whether or not someone is armed before shooting them, then they DO NOT need to be a police officer. Sorry, but an officer's duty to this country's citizens no less than requires them to fully understand a situation before dealing out lethal force, even if that means risking their own lives.

To send a swat team into a non-violent possible drug offender's house, who has no indication of being violent and has simply had a single "informant" claim they've done something (Or anything along those lines), because someone is afraid an officer might be hurt, is not appropriate. Citizens should not have to give up their safety just so the police can feel "safe" "doing their jobs," you know, things like shooting first and asking questions later.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
What is funny is that many here are prior military and most here support the military.

So the military is not viewed in a bad light. But the notion that the police are becoming more military like is so awful and some find it appalling.

I am current military. My job is not to enforce law. Your job entitles you to more privileges, theArmy takes ours away. Comparing your job to mine is an insult. The military fights for your rights as an American. The police fight to take ours away.

If you want to gear up in full battle rattle to issue a "No Knock Warrant" in an armoredpersonnel carrierfor some marijuana seeds "found in a trash can" be my guest. A no knock warrant is simply an invitation to be shot.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
SNIP I am current military. My job is not to enforce law.[Being police]entitles[them] to more privileges, theArmy takes ours away. Comparing[their] job to mine is an insult. The military fights for your rights as an American. The police fight to take ours away.
Ouch!

+1

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
SNIP If[they] want to gear up in full battle rattle to issue a "No Knock Warrant" in an armoredpersonnel carrierfor some marijuana seeds "found in a trash can"...
Heh, heh, heh. Yep, derision has been known to work.

Ooooooo. Big, tough policemen. Soooooo afraid of the guy with some marijuana seeds.

Elliot Ness is probably laughing his butt off at the cowards who pose as police and need such gear.

This isn't to say its never needed. But it can't possibly be needed to the extent practiced today.

Somehow the heroes in blue of yesteryear managed to get the job done without suiting-up like commandos.

Who can respect a bunch like that? Fear maybe. But not respect.

I'll start thinking of SWAT and high-risk teams as somebody special and deserving respect when they stop with the unnecessary nonsense.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
SNIP I am current military. My job is not to enforce law.[Being police]entitles[them] to more privileges, theArmy takes ours away. Comparing[their] job to mine is an insult. The military fights for your rights as an American. The police fight to take ours away.
Ouch!

+1
I think I had it right... Once a Soldier, always a Soldier. :) Once a cop, always a cop. :X

LEO 229

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
LEO229 often complains about the officer's safety. The officer is PAID to risk their life, if called to do so, to protect the public from crime. That is the reason they enforce laws to begin with.

If the officer is not willing to risk their life to ascertain things like whether or not someone is armed before shooting them, then they DO NOT need to be a police officer. Sorry, but an officer's duty to this country's citizens no less than requires them to fully understand a situation before dealing out lethal force, even if that means risking their own lives.

To send a swat team into a non-violent possible drug offender's house, who has no indication of being violent and has simply had a single "informant" claim they've done something (Or anything along those lines), because someone is afraid an officer might be hurt, is not appropriate. Citizens should not have to give up their safety just so the police can feel "safe" "doing their jobs," you know, things like shooting first and asking questions later.

Actually.. No... the officer is NOT paid to risk their life. They must accept that there is risk involved in the job. But the money they get has no stings attached that compels them to risk anything.

The courts have also ruled that the police are not required to risk their lives for another. The police will often do this on their own after weighing the odds and accepting the risk.

Now a bodyguard..... is paid to risk his life and will be paid well for that. The police are not bodyguards...and not paid that well.

You do know that drugs and money go hand in hand with guns and protection of the drugs and money, right?

Dealers rip off other dealers and this happens more often than you know. They follow them home and do a home invasion on them. This is what the SWAT teams are sometimes used. Making entry may follow with the bad guy shooting at that he first believes is another dealer.

Some dealers have so much product that shooting at the cops and saying "I thought you were a burglar" is worth it to give them time to flush the drugs.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
You do know that drugs and money go hand in hand with guns and protection of the drugs and money, right?

Dealers rip off other dealers and this happens more often than you know. They follow them home and do a home invasion on them. This is what the SWAT teams are sometimes used. Making entry may follow with the bad guy shooting at that he first believes is another dealer.

Some dealers have so much product that shooting at the cops and saying "I thought you were a burglar" is worth it to give them time to flush the drugs.

LEO 229

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
What is funny is that many here are prior military and most here support the military.

So the military is not viewed in a bad light. But the notion that the police are becoming more military like is so awful and some find it appalling.
I am current military. My job is not to enforce law. Your job entitles you to more privileges, theArmy takes ours away. Comparing your job to mine is an insult. The military fights for your rights as an American. The police fight to take ours away.

If you want to gear up in full battle rattle to issue a "No Knock Warrant" in an armoredpersonnel carrierfor some marijuana seeds "found in a trash can" be my guest. A no knock warrant is simply an invitation to be shot.
What "privileges" do I get? I am allowed to do certain things while on duty... in the performance of my job. These are not done for my own personal pleasure.

The only "privilege" I can really think of is that I can carry a gun ina few more places than a citizen and in all 50 states. But citizens can get permits to carry in most of those states too. And I do not travel that much to enjoy that privilege.

I do not believe I was even comparing jobs at all. Maybe you can point out where that happened. I only spoke about how the two are viewed by the people.

Obviously both jobs are different. One if fighting for the country as a whole... the other is fighting for the good guys only.

What they have in common:

• Uniforms
  • Rank
  • Weapons
  • Gas masks
  • Marked vehicles
  • Load bearing belts
  • Structure
  • Team work
  • Common cause
  • Fighting for others
  • Facing danger