• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Article on the militarization of our police departments

Weak 9mm

imported post

Actually.. No... the officer is NOT paid to risk their life. They must accept that there is risk involved in the job. But the money they get has no stings attached that compels them to risk anything.

The courts have also ruled that the police are not required to risk their lives for another. The police will often do this on their own after weighing the odds and accepting the risk
Somehow it seems like you're playing a semantics game here. You've danced around the point I made, and have defined "paid to risk life" in a manner that ignores the context of my post.

Of course they're not paid to do something suicidal, but you and I both know that is not what I was referring to.

They certainly are paid to protect the public from criminals, and that means risking their lives. That means waiting to determine whether or not someone is actually a threat before dealing out lethal force. I think everyone in here understands that certain kingpin drug dealers are prone to violence, but we are NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT.

We're talking about things like using a SWAT team on someone who might have "marijuana seeds" in their trash can, which you seem to fully support. Perhaps someone will do you the service of falsely accusing you of something so you can experience a SWAT raid. It's scary to consider that all it takes is a single "informant" to get these actions authorized. You don't address that at all, but rather you focus on one part of my post and then comment on it out of context with the rest of the statement. As others have said, you're being intentionally obtuse.

Police sure are paid to risk their lives, to claim otherwise is ridiculous. To imply that the officer doesn't need to determine whether or not someone is armed (Or even a criminal at all) before shooting them is just sick. The officer's safety is not more important than a civilian's safety, period. The officer is given power over citizens, and is therefore expected to do things like fully determine whether or not they need to shoot before shooting, once again, even if that means risking their life.

While an officer is not a body guard, and I know you know that I'm not claiming that, when you get down to it they really only exist to protect citizens. Not in a body guard way (As you already know), but in a removing criminals/crime from the streets kind of way. If you're saying that police don't need to and aren't expected to help ("Guard") civilians who are being attacked then I also find that ridiculous. I'm sure there are rare circumstances where this is the case, but it's certainly an exception rather than a rule.

If the mentality of our police departments is that officers' safety is more important than the safety of the general public, no matter what, then something needs to be fixed. The police officer needs to take the time to do things like determine whether or not shooting is acceptable, even if that means risking their life. They took the job, they are paid by the public, and I expect them to do what we pay them to do, not shoot my neighbors just because one of them "might be a threat" or "might have something shiny on their wrist" or "might have marijuana seeds in the trashcan."

LEO 229

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Actually.. No... the officer is NOT paid to risk their life. They must accept that there is risk involved in the job. But the money they get has no stings attached that compels them to risk anything.

The courts have also ruled that the police are not required to risk their lives for another. The police will often do this on their own after weighing the odds and accepting the risk
Somehow it seems like you're playing a semantics game here. You've danced around the point I made, and have defined "paid to risk life" in a manner that ignores the context of my post.

Of course they're not paid to do something suicidal, but you and I both know that is not what I was referring to.

They certainly are paid to protect the public from criminals, and that means risking their lives. That means waiting to determine whether or not someone is actually a threat before dealing out lethal force. I think everyone in here understands that certain kingpin drug dealers are prone to violence, but we are NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT.

We're talking about things like using a SWAT team on someone who might have "marijuana seeds" in their trash can, which you seem to fully support. Perhaps someone will do you the service of falsely accusing you of something so you can experience a SWAT raid. It's scary to consider that all it takes is a single "informant" to get these actions authorized. You don't address that at all, but rather you focus on one part of my post and then comment on it out of context with the rest of the statement. As others have said, you're being intentionally obtuse.

Police sure are paid to risk their lives, to claim otherwise is ridiculous. To imply that the officer doesn't need to determine whether or not someone is armed (Or even a criminal at all) before shooting them is just sick. The officer's safety is not more important than a civilian's safety, period. The officer is given power over citizens, and is therefore expected to do things like fully determine whether or not they need to shoot before shooting, once again, even if that means risking their life.

While an officer is not a body guard, and I know you know that I'm not claiming that, when you get down to it they really only exist to protect citizens. Not in a body guard way (As you already know), but in a removing criminals/crime from the streets kind of way. If you're saying that police don't need to and aren't expected to help ("Guard") civilians who are being attacked then I also find that ridiculous. I'm sure there are rare circumstances where this is the case, but it's certainly an exception rather than a rule.

If the mentality of our police departments is that officers' safety is more important than the safety of the general public, no matter what, then something needs to be fixed. The police officer needs to take the time to do things like determine whether or not shooting is acceptable, even if that means risking their life. They took the job, they are paid by the public, and I expect them to do what we pay them to do, not shoot my neighbors just because one of them "might be a threat" or "might have something shiny on their wrist" or "might have marijuana seeds in the trashcan."
You certainly did not advise to what extent copswere required to risk their lives.;)

To say you are being paid to risk you life is a very broad statement where one can deduce that I pay you to risk your life for me and at all costs. You are supposed to take a bullet for me.

But again.... the police are not PAID to risk their lives any more then any other local government employee is paid to risk their lives.

Is the Judge being paid to risk his life while doing his part in the criminal justice system? He is getting paid far more than I am so since he is being so handsomely paid... I suspect he is required to risk his life too. :Being cynical:

Officer safety IS more important and there is nothing to be fixed.

Unfortunately, people do not make the best decisions and when you have a police officer pointing a gun telling you not to move.... and you do and you have something in your hand that looks like a weapon or you move towards the officer.... he must decide in a fraction of a second....

Shoot or don't shoot.

If he hesitates.... he could be killed. If he shoots he is more than likely going to be justified and will live.

Even on this board members say they would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Why should the cop think any differently??

But we are now headed off track from the original topic. ;)

swillden

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
They certainly are paid to protect the public from criminals
Numerous courts have ruled otherwise. Police have NO duty to protect the public.

The purpose of the police is to clean up the mess, arrest the perp and build a case so the court can punish the perp. Most policemen are good people and will do their best to protect innocents, often at substantial risk to themselves, but it's really not their job. Their job is to find and arrest criminals. Going beyond that to protect people from bad guys is a personal choice.

LEO 229

imported post

swillden wrote:
Weak 9mm wrote:
They certainly are paid to protect the public from criminals
Numerous courts have ruled otherwise. Police have NO duty to protect the public.

The purpose of the police is to clean up the mess, arrest the perp and build a case so the court can punish the perp. Most policemen are good people and will do their best to protect innocents, often at substantial risk to themselves, but it's really not their job. Their job is to find and arrest criminals. Going beyond that to protect people from bad guys is a personal choice.
So true.... This is why I advocate the people to be armed.

It is going to take me about 6 minutes to get to you so you better have some way to fight back till I get there to help you out.

LEO 229

imported post

bohdi wrote:
You don't give Fairfax PD enough credit LEO229, in 2007 it was an average of 5 :D
I must work where there is more traffic.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Weak 9mm wrote:

[SNIP]
[SNIP]"
[snip]
[snip]
Leo,
Do you care to elaborate how you came to that conclusion?

LEO 229

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Weak 9mm wrote:

[SNIP]
[SNIP]"
[snip]
[snip]
Leo,

Officer safety is paramount!

Let's put it this way...

If you are being held at gun point and told to freeze.. and you refuse!You startthinking back to all those witty lines you learned here and say... "Officer! Am I free to go?" whileyou quickly pull your hand out of your coat while holding on object.... and point it at the general direction of the officer...

Officer safety trumps your safety and you may be shot.

Keeping in mind that if your being stopped at gun point there is reason to believe you are a danger.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Weak 9mm wrote:

You certainly did not advise to what extent copswere required to risk their lives.;)

To say you are being paid to risk you life is a very broad statement where one can deduce that I pay you to risk your life for me and at all costs. You are supposed to take a bullet for me.

But again.... the police are not PAID to risk their lives any more then any other local government employee is paid to risk their lives.

Is the Judge being paid to risk his life while doing his part in the criminal justice system? He is getting paid far more than I am so since he is being so handsomely paid... I suspect he is required to risk his life too. :Being cynical:

Unfortunately, people do not make the best decisions and when you have a police officer pointing a gun telling you not to move.... and you do and you have something in your hand that looks like a weapon or you move towards the officer.... he must decide in a fraction of a second....

Shoot or don't shoot.

If he hesitates.... he could be killed. If he shoots he is more than likely going to be justified and will live.

Even on this board members say they would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Why should the cop think any differently??

But we are now headed off track from the original topic. ;)

Quoted for Truth.

(red emphasis mine; capitals his)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Weak 9mm wrote:

[SNIP]
[SNIP]"
[snip]
[snip]
Leo,

Officer safety is paramount!

Let's put it this way...

If you are being held at gun point and told to freeze.. and you refuse!You startthinking back to all those witty lines you learned here and say... "Officer! Am I free to go?" whileyou quickly pull your hand out of your coat while holding on object.... and point it at the general direction of the officer...

Keeping in mind that if your being stopped at gun point there is reason to believe you are a danger.

Quoted for Truth

(red emphasis mine; black emphasis Weak9mm and JaredBelch)

Weak 9mm

imported post

SNIP

They certainly are paid to protect the public from criminals,

SNIP

While an officer is not a body guard, and I know you know that I'm not claiming that, when you get down to it they really only exist to protect citizens. Not in a body guard way (As you already know), but in a removing criminals/crime from the streets kind of way.

SNIP
That is what I said. Take it in context please, don't read part of the post and then define what I said differently than I've defined it.

I did not say what you're claiming here:

Numerous courts have ruled otherwise.

Police have NO duty to protect the public. The purpose of the police is to clean up the mess, arrest the perp and build a case so the court can punish the perp. Most policemen are good people and will do their best to protect innocents, often at substantial risk to themselves, but it's really not their job. Their job is to find and arrest criminals. Going beyond that to protect people from bad guys is a personal choice.
Read the entire statement please.

I do not argue with the fact that there are situations where a police officer is "x, y or z." That's not the point, this isn't hypothetical shyte. What I'm saying is that the officer's safety is not more important than mine or anyone elses if I am not doing anything wrong. Sorry if you think officers lives are more important than everyone elses. I sure as heck don't.

Seriously, stop quoting me out of context.

In this hypothetical situation you portray, the victim of the shooting is doing something stupid. Nobody disagrees. What I do disagree with is the above statement. His "safety" does not "trump" your safety. His position of power and his gun trumps your safety.

The problem arises that we were discussing real situations which didn't play out like this. They weren't hypothetical situations. You don't seem to want to address that.

You also like to pick out little bitty statements that, when quoted or bolded by themselves, may appear to say something different than I intended, if the rest of the post is not read. If you'd read it you'd see that I do NOT think a police officer is supposed to come directly protect you from a criminal attack. That would almost require them to be psychic, and know that a crime was going to be committed before it even happened in order to be there ready to defend you!

I swear, you automatically put me into this weird pre-defined box of "anti-LEO's" or something. I do not feel the way you seem to think I do, I can tell you that much. I am not claiming that officer safety is not paramount. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm claiming that everyone else's safety is paramount too. I am referring to the actions that needlessly endager citizens and are supposedly done for the "safety" of officers, not all actions that officers make. Things like the 90 year old woman being executed in her house. That is ridiculous. Shooting an idiot who wants to play games with someone pointing a gun at them isn't necessarily a bad thing in my book.

You've essentially portrayed me as one of the idiots walking around expecting the police to come save them. Or perhaps one of the idiots thinking that officers and citizens should never use a gun or defend themselves.

This payment thing really seems to have bothered you. Lots of people are paid to risk their lives, I never said they were paid a lot or a little. I didn't comment one way or the other on that.

LEO 229

imported post

I cannot say it any better than Strother Martin.....

LEO 229

imported post

swillden wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Officer safety and civilian safety are equally important.
Sure they are.. But when the officer is engaging a citizen who could be dangerous.... the officer's safety becomes greater.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
swillden wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Officer safety and civilian safety are equally important.
Sure they are.. But when the officer is engaging a citizen who could be dangerous.... the officer's safety becomes greater.

Quoted for Truth

(red emphasis mine)

LEO 229

imported post

I see a few QFT posts and this is a waste of space. I do not go back and remove my posts to hide what I said. I put it out there and it stays.

Either post something worthwhile or these wastedposts will be removed. :cool:

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yeah it's honestly getting really annoying. These QFT things have taken up much of the page while contributing nothing. If you wanted to see everything you wrote repeated 5 times, I'm sure you'd write it that way to begin with.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Moderators and Admin,

I respectfully request that the QFT posts be allowed to stand.

I have QFT'd perhaps once or twice prior in all my time here. There is a reason I did it here. It is not to be argumentative or stir up trouble.

If you feel I amwasting bandwidth, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is and pay. I take that back. Iowe John for all thebenefit I've derived from my participation here anyway.Please PM me where tosend a check.