Thread: Got my New 1911, Finally!!!

Post imported post

Well, I finally got my Purchase Permits, and it was off to Hyatt to pick this baby up!

Luis, get your guns !!

Post imported post

Kinda hard to see. Have any bigger pictures?

Post imported post

You might consider editing your post and removing the pic that shows the serial # of your firearm. You never know who is browsing this site...
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

Congrats Dave! Can we go shoot it now? I off to PR for a few days, but would love to get to Firepower with ya when I get back.

Post imported post

Luis,

I called you on Thursday - last minute I know. Looks like Thursdays are going to be my day to go. I don't know how long the wifey will let me get away with $50 a week for 100 rounds and range time, but for as long as I can I'm going to try to get over to Firepower around 4:50 for an hour or so.

Give me a shout when you get back.

Post imported post

Nice, but remove the pic with the serial number until you can photoshop it out. Five minutes in MicroSoft Paint will do the trick in blurring the number. Need to protect your privacy and all.

Post imported post

You need a permit to purchase a pistol in NC? That seems strange in what is basically a gun friendly state. Who do you get it from and how long does it take? MY VA CCW was recipricol with NC, as is my CO, so never concerned myself with their other gun laws.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
    You need a permit to purchase a pistol in NC? That seems strange in what is basically a gun friendly state. Who do you get it from and how long does it take? MY VA CCW was recipricol with NC, so never concerned myself with their other gun laws.
    Asked and answered. A carryover from the Jim Crow era where the fat bellied sherrif made sure no "darkies got no shootin' irons." I also understand that there are no state legislated guidelines, and, we Yankees would think the NICS background check would certainly do a better job than Sherrif Taylor in Mayberry...seriously, you Tar Heels need to lose that law. What bs! Like the registration of handguns required in Durham County. NC is not anywhere near as gun friendly as I thought. Toss that ******* democrap governor and maybe you can move forward a bit. Other than that, I really like NC. Pretty, friendly people and a lot of history. Almost moved there, but found southern VA much cheaper, housing-wise, than Durham when I worked--briefly, in northern NC.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Nice, but remove the pic with the serial number until you can photoshop it out. Five minutes in MicroSoft Paint will do the trick in blurring the number. Need to protect your privacy and all.

Can you really read it on this pic? I thought it was blurry enough.

In any case, what's the harm of someone knowing the serial number? This is a newbie question, but if I purchased the gun legally, what exactly am I worried about?

Post imported post

ShadowOfTheHat wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:

In any case, what's the harm of someone knowing the serial number? This is a newbie question, but if I purchased the gun legally, what exactly am I worried about?
    Up to you, of course. Whatever you're comfortable with.

Post imported post

I'm back. Range report from Thursday?

Post imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
    I'm back. Range report from Thursday?
    Didn't get to go, picked up a gig at a local bar and made $100 instead of spending $50!! Am planning to go this week though. Will try to be there a bt before 5:00 if you want to me up.

Post imported post

I'll be coming back from G-boro. I'll try to make it.

State Researcher

Post imported post

ShadowOfTheHat wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:

Well since nobody answered your question, I will try. I'm assuming the reason for concernis because that serial number is now linked to your name and address in some computer somewhere in the world. So, if someone was REALLY REALLY nosey, I suppose they could theoretically use that serial number to eventually find out what your real name and location are. Other than that, I can't see any other problems. I wouldn't worry about it personally...I can't read the serial number on the current picture you posted anyway.

Post imported post

Wow that gun so purty. Enjoy, my Kimber Raptor II's a sweet shooter!

Beware the idiot mark! If you don't know what that is, don't strip and clean until you do! You'll thank me (looking at my idiot mark and biting my lip).

Keith

Post imported post

Amen to the idiot mark comment! I have a beautiful semi-sircle of stupidity on my SS Springfield. Watch that slide catch.

Post imported post

Congrats! The part about the “purchase permit” made me throw up a little though.

Does anyone have a picture of the ‘idiot mark’ on their gun? I know what they are but I can’t seem to figure out where they would be.

Post imported post

Check out this site: http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project/wear_to_go_from_here.html

Those aren't even that bad.

edit: the picture was protected. Sorry guys.

Post imported post

Okay, so I can't figure it out - please explain the "idiot mark" in better terms or photos. I may already be guilty as I've cleaned my weapon twice thus far.

Dave

Post imported post

Thanks for the picture! Wait, which one of the many marks is considered the idiot mark?

It suddenly occurred to me that I could just google it myself

Post imported post

Thanks for the photo - I too found them on the 'Net. I don't have one yet, thankfully~