• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got my New 1911, Finally!!!

ShadowOfTheHat

imported post

Well, I finally got my Purchase Permits, and it was off to Hyatt to pick this baby up!

Luis, get your guns !!

gun_1.jpg

gun_2.jpg

gun_3.jpg

Flintlock

imported post

You might consider editing your post and removing the pic that shows the serial # of your firearm. You never know who is browsing this site...

ShadowOfTheHat

imported post

Luis,

I called you on Thursday - last minute I know. Looks like Thursdays are going to be my day to go. I don't know how long the wifey will let me get away with $50 a week for 100 rounds and range time, but for as long as I can I'm going to try to get over to Firepower around 4:50 for an hour or so.

Give me a shout when you get back.

Tomahawk

imported post

Nice, but remove the pic with the serial number until you can photoshop it out. Five minutes in MicroSoft Paint will do the trick in blurring the number. Need to protect your privacy and all.

Gunslinger

imported post

You need a permit to purchase a pistol in NC? That seems strange in what is basically a gun friendly state. Who do you get it from and how long does it take? MY VA CCW was recipricol with NC, as is my CO, so never concerned myself with their other gun laws.

Gunslinger

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
You need a permit to purchase a pistol in NC? That seems strange in what is basically a gun friendly state. Who do you get it from and how long does it take? MY VA CCW was recipricol with NC, so never concerned myself with their other gun laws.
Asked and answered. A carryover from the Jim Crow era where the fat bellied sherrif made sure no "darkies got no shootin' irons." I also understand that there are no state legislated guidelines, and, we Yankees would think the NICS background check would certainly do a better job than Sherrif Taylor in Mayberry...seriously, you Tar Heels need to lose that law. What bs! Like the registration of handguns required in Durham County. NC is not anywhere near as gun friendly as I thought. Toss that jackass democrap governor and maybe you can move forward a bit. Other than that, I really like NC. Pretty, friendly people and a lot of history. Almost moved there, but found southern VA much cheaper, housing-wise, than Durham when I worked--briefly, in northern NC.

ShadowOfTheHat

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Nice, but remove the pic with the serial number until you can photoshop it out. Five minutes in MicroSoft Paint will do the trick in blurring the number. Need to protect your privacy and all.

Can you really read it on this pic? I thought it was blurry enough.

In any case, what's the harm of someone knowing the serial number? This is a newbie question, but if I purchased the gun legally, what exactly am I worried about?

Tomahawk

imported post

ShadowOfTheHat wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

In any case, what's the harm of someone knowing the serial number? This is a newbie question, but if I purchased the gun legally, what exactly am I worried about?
Up to you, of course. Whatever you're comfortable with.

ShadowOfTheHat

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I'm back. Range report from Thursday?

Didn't get to go, picked up a gig at a local bar and made $100 instead of spending $50!! Am planning to go this week though. Will try to be there a bt before 5:00 if you want to me up.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

ShadowOfTheHat wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Well since nobody answered your question, I will try. I'm assuming the reason for concernis because that serial number is now linked to your name and address in some computer somewhere in the world. So, if someone was REALLY REALLY nosey, I suppose they could theoretically use that serial number to eventually find out what your real name and location are. Other than that, I can't see any other problems. I wouldn't worry about it personally...I can't read the serial number on the current picture you posted anyway.

Aeroscoper

imported post

Wow that gun so purty. Enjoy, my Kimber Raptor II's a sweet shooter!

Beware the idiot mark! If you don't know what that is, don't strip and clean until you do! You'll thank me (looking at my idiot mark and biting my lip).

Keith

Mainsail

imported post

Congrats! The part about the “purchase permit” made me throw up a little though.

Does anyone have a picture of the ‘idiot mark’ on their gun? I know what they are but I can’t seem to figure out where they would be.

ShadowOfTheHat

imported post

Okay, so I can't figure it out - please explain the "idiot mark" in better terms or photos. I may already be guilty as I've cleaned my weapon twice thus far.

Dave

Mainsail

imported post

Thanks for the picture! Wait, which one of the many marks is considered the idiot mark?

It suddenly occurred to me that I could just google it myself

Proofmarks3.jpg

Alshandgun011.jpg