• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan C.P.L. in Indiana

Ford Truck

Franklin Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, USA
imported post

From the Indiana Code:

IC 35-47-2-21 (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while holders are not residents of Indiana.

"According to the terms thereof" means if your license/permit is for concealed carry, you will be required to carry concealed while visiting Indiana. If you Michiganders want to "legally" open carry in Indiana, spend $26.00 for a Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms. The Pennsylvania license is good for 5 years and since it doesn't state "concealed", you may carry openly. The license will be recognized because you're not a resident of Indiana. If you live in Michigan and work in Indiana or have a place of business in Indiana, you may get a non-residentIndiana License To Carry Handgun and carry openly while in Indiana.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Ford Truck wrote:
From the Indiana Code:

IC 35-47-2-21 (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while holders are not residents of Indiana.

"According to the terms thereof" means if your license/permit is for concealed carry, you will be required to carry concealed while visiting Indiana. If you Michiganders want to "legally" open carry in Indiana, spend $26.00 for a Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms. The Pennsylvania license is good for 5 years and since it doesn't state "concealed", you may carry openly. The license will be recognized because you're not a resident of Indiana. If you live in Michigan and work in Indiana or have a place of business in Indiana, you may get a non-residentIndiana License To Carry Handgun and carry openly while in Indiana.

Our license is a permit to carry concealed but we don't have to carry concealed. I need to do more digging.

MichaelJ07

imported post

Hey Ford Truck,

I see you are here as well as at MichiganCPL.net. Thanks once again for posting this.

So, I have the PA LTCF ready to mail. I have a MI CCW permit. If approved in PA, then I would be able to carry open in Indiana? Is this because one may OC in PA and OC in IN and that's why the PA permit is better to have when OC's in IN? (Not worded very well, is it?)

I don't often go to IN, but have on occasions crossed the border for this and that. I support Open Carry and would OC when going into IN, but keep concealed in MI (even thought we MAY OC in Michigan (but I ain't doing it there....)

Michael

Venator

imported post

MichaelJ07 wrote:
Hey Ford Truck,

I see you are here as well as at MichiganCPL.net. Thanks once again for posting this.

So, I have the PA LTCF ready to mail. I have a MI CCW permit. If approved in PA, then I would be able to carry open in Indiana? Is this because one may OC in PA and OC in IN and that's why the PA permit is better to have when OC's in IN? (Not worded very well, is it?)

I don't often go to IN, but have on occasions crossed the border for this and that. I support Open Carry and would OC when going into IN, but keep concealed in MI (even thought we MAY OC in Michigan (but I ain't doing it there....)

Michael
Why wouldn't you OC in Michigan, it's legal and all the times I and others have OC we really haven't had much trouble, that is no arrests. We have had a few discussions with LEO, but rarely. Most people don't seem to care here, don't let all the myths stop you from OCing if you want to.

MichaelJ07

imported post

I certainly do appreciate all you folks are doing towards educating the sheeple in this country about firearms. Please don't misunderstand me. I am doing my part as well here around my family members. It will take a little time for me to OC in Michigan Wife and her family are not anti-gun, but most have not grown up around firearms and are unfamiliar with them. Gonna work on them slowly......kinda like foreplay....and we all know how important THAT stuff is!

I read the post about 911 call man has a gun and it was encouraging and well written.

I will continue to read the posts and do what I can to assist in the educating of the sheeple in my area.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Ford Truck wrote:
From the Indiana Code:

The way I understood "...terms thereof" to mean is that, for example;

If a licensed/permit holder from State "A", was going to State "B", where "A" is not a legal OC state and "B" is, the holder going to/visiting State "B" would not be allowed to OC-regardless of State "B" requiring/not requiring a license/permit to OC.

I read an article/post somewhere about 2, maybe 3, years ago about this but I don't think it was here at OCDO. It was definitely about the traversing of license/permit holders of reciprocal states and requirements (laws) in which the visitor must follow.

In other words, (in terms of how/where you carry) even with a license/permit, if it's illegal in your state (State "A"), it's illegal for you to do in the reciprocal state in which you're visiting (State "B").

Venator

imported post

I received this from the Indiana State Police:

Dear Mr. Jeffs:

Indiana honors all other states handgun license while visiting or passing through our state. Our law does not state that your weapon has to be concealed or unconcealed. Being concealeddoes not draw attention to you or make people feel uneasy. You may check this web site for more information. http://www.in.gov/isp and go under firearms to see what it has. Also, this web site: http://www.ai.org/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/index.html

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks,

Sandy Stark

Indiana State Police Firearms Section

Indiana Government Center North

100 N Senate Ave

Indianapolis, IN 46204

317-232-8264

Seems that concealed or open carry is legal in Indiana by non-residents with a CPL.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Someone might want to tell this to the people at usacarry.org. On their Indiana page, they have the following, under NOTES:

" 3. When carrying within the state of Indiana on an out of state permit, the permittee must carry in accordance with the terms of the permit; for instance, if the permit says "concealed handgun permit," then it must be concealed. If it simply says license to carry handgun, it can then be carried either openly or concealed."

Venator

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Someone might want to tell this to the people at usacarry.org. On their Indiana page, they have the following, under NOTES:

" 3. When carrying within the state of Indiana on an out of state permit, the permittee must carry in accordance with the terms of the permit; for instance, if the permit says "concealed handgun permit," then it must be concealed. If it simply says license to carry handgun, it can then be carried either openly or concealed."
Al, cut and paste the response I got from the ISPand post it on their site.