Thread: Checked my weapon ....

Post imported post

Had to go to the courthouse to look some things up, I notified them that I needed to check a firearm, they opened a locker, I unbelted the holster and put it in the locker, and he gave me a laminated card with the box number.

No ID checks, no questions, nothing. Just a 'OK, follow me'.... 'alright, go ahead and put it in there.... when you get done, come back here and give me the card and I'll open it up for you'

I asked him how frequently people check weapons, and he said it happens about once a week, since noone usually brings a gun to a courthouse, but it's usually an employee, since they know about the lockers, and others don't.

A+ for Thurston county courthouse!

ETA: After checking my firearm, I accidentally left my carabiner (my key holder) clipped on my belt loop, and set the detector off ANYWAY,lol.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

State Researcher

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
    Had to go to the courthouse to look some things up, I notified them that I needed to check a firearm, they opened a locker, I unbelted the holster and put it in the locker, and he gave me a laminated card with the box number.

No ID checks, no questions, nothing. Just a 'OK, follow me'.... 'alright, go ahead and put it in there.... when you get done, come back here and give me the card and I'll open it up for you'

I asked him how frequently people check weapons, and he said it happens about once a week, since noone usually brings a gun to a courthouse, but it's usually an employee, since they know about the lockers, and others don't.

ETA: After checking my firearm, I accidentally left my carabiner (my key holder) clipped on my belt loop, and set the detector off ANYWAY,lol.
    Sweet! They have a pretty nice building, so I'm not surprised they have lockers. OPD on the other hand seems to get some short ends of budget sticks, with small crowded buildings that are all function and no form...

Were you OCing or CCIng?

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    TechnoWeenie wrote:

Sweet!* They have a pretty nice building, so I'm not surprised they have lockers.* OPD on the other hand seems to get some short ends of budget sticks, with small crowded buildings that are all function and no form...*

Were you OCing or CCIng?

OC, but with a long shirt tucked behind the holster that would otherwise conceal it.

I got there and knocked on the glass, held my arm out to the side and pointed down to my waist, he just nodded and opened the door...
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

Good post.

What's the proper procedure for this? I'm on jury duty this month so I'm curious.

Do I walk in the front doors and speak to the officers at the metal detectors (BEFORE going through, obviously)? Or do I need to stand outside and knock on the door? Before I've passed the metal detectors I'm not in a secured area, right?

Our courthouse has a small entryway area, then metal detectors before you can get to the elevators or stairs or anything.

Post imported post

t3rmin wrote:
    Good post.

What's the proper procedure for this? I'm on jury duty this month so I'm curious.

Do I walk in the front doors and speak to the officers at the metal detectors (BEFORE going through, obviously)? Or do I need to stand outside and knock on the door? Before I've passed the metal detectors I'm not in a secured area, right?

Our courthouse has a small entryway area, then metal detectors before you can get to the elevators or stairs or anything.
    I asked him last time, before I carried there, and he said to 'let us know before you get in here'.. Although it's an entryway, and not part of the restricted area, I'd still tap on the glass or whatever because the lockers are outside ANYWAY.. no point in getting in line then having to push your way back out..

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
    I asked him last time, before I carried there, and he said to 'let us know before you get in here'.. Although it's an entryway, and not part of the restricted area, I'd still tap on the glass or whatever because the lockers are outside ANYWAY.. no point in getting in line then having to push your way back out..
    Now that I think about it, our Lewis County courthouse has an entryway with two sets of double-doors, then an anteroom with the metal detectors. I'd have to at least go through the first double-doors to be noticed while knocking...