• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Checked my weapon ....

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Had to go to the courthouse to look some things up, I notified them that I needed to check a firearm, they opened a locker, I unbelted the holster and put it in the locker, and he gave me a laminated card with the box number.

No ID checks, no questions, nothing. Just a 'OK, follow me'.... 'alright, go ahead and put it in there.... when you get done, come back here and give me the card and I'll open it up for you'

I asked him how frequently people check weapons, and he said it happens about once a week, since noone usually brings a gun to a courthouse, but it's usually an employee, since they know about the lockers, and others don't.

A+ for Thurston county courthouse!

ETA: After checking my firearm, I accidentally left my carabiner (my key holder) clipped on my belt loop, and set the detector off ANYWAY,lol.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Had to go to the courthouse to look some things up, I notified them that I needed to check a firearm, they opened a locker, I unbelted the holster and put it in the locker, and he gave me a laminated card with the box number.

No ID checks, no questions, nothing. Just a 'OK, follow me'.... 'alright, go ahead and put it in there.... when you get done, come back here and give me the card and I'll open it up for you'

I asked him how frequently people check weapons, and he said it happens about once a week, since noone usually brings a gun to a courthouse, but it's usually an employee, since they know about the lockers, and others don't.

ETA: After checking my firearm, I accidentally left my carabiner (my key holder) clipped on my belt loop, and set the detector off ANYWAY,lol.
Sweet! They have a pretty nice building, so I'm not surprised they have lockers. OPD on the other hand seems to get some short ends of budget sticks, with small crowded buildings that are all function and no form...

Were you OCing or CCIng?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Sweet!  They have a pretty nice building, so I'm not surprised they have lockers.  OPD on the other hand seems to get some short ends of budget sticks, with small crowded buildings that are all function and no form... 

Were you OCing or CCIng?

OC, but with a long shirt tucked behind the holster that would otherwise conceal it.

I got there and knocked on the glass, held my arm out to the side and pointed down to my waist, he just nodded and opened the door...

t3rmin

imported post

Good post.

What's the proper procedure for this? I'm on jury duty this month so I'm curious.

Do I walk in the front doors and speak to the officers at the metal detectors (BEFORE going through, obviously)? Or do I need to stand outside and knock on the door? Before I've passed the metal detectors I'm not in a secured area, right?

Our courthouse has a small entryway area, then metal detectors before you can get to the elevators or stairs or anything.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

t3rmin wrote:
Good post.

What's the proper procedure for this? I'm on jury duty this month so I'm curious.

Do I walk in the front doors and speak to the officers at the metal detectors (BEFORE going through, obviously)? Or do I need to stand outside and knock on the door? Before I've passed the metal detectors I'm not in a secured area, right?

Our courthouse has a small entryway area, then metal detectors before you can get to the elevators or stairs or anything.

I asked him last time, before I carried there, and he said to 'let us know before you get in here'.. Although it's an entryway, and not part of the restricted area, I'd still tap on the glass or whatever because the lockers are outside ANYWAY.. no point in getting in line then having to push your way back out..

t3rmin

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I asked him last time, before I carried there, and he said to 'let us know before you get in here'.. Although it's an entryway, and not part of the restricted area, I'd still tap on the glass or whatever because the lockers are outside ANYWAY.. no point in getting in line then having to push your way back out..
Now that I think about it, our Lewis County courthouse has an entryway with two sets of double-doors, then an anteroom with the metal detectors. I'd have to at least go through the first double-doors to be noticed while knocking...