• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SERPA Concealability?

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If I lived in Florida or Texas or anywhere else that requires concealed carry I would not use the Blackhawk SERPA holster,but in Virginia it works just fine for me. I'm sure that when I'm carrying concealed I'm "made" by people who are looking and are aware, but the vast majority of people don't know.

A lot of the concealability of this holster also depends on the cover garment you're wearing. A patterned shirt breaks up any angular outlines that your gun might make pressing against the fabric, but a light colored shirt or jacketdoes little to conceal the bulge or angles of your gun and holster.

FogRider

imported post

I have a large jacket that I can hide it under as long as I don't zip up the jacket, but beyond that it's (for me) strictly an OC holster. It just holds my gun to far out to conceal well.

ChinChin

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
How well do they conceal under a light Jacket/Bagy Shirt?

Just Curious.
I have one which serves double duty for my Glock 23 and Glock 17. It's not as effective as an IWB holster would be, but the printing isn't as bad as you might think. Under my wind break it is fairly undetectable. If your bulky shirt is made of a think material it is still not very noticable. Worn under a thin material shirt such as linen or silk, the outline is noticable.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CQC SERPA level II, with a decent gun belt so it doesn't sag conceals fine in that manner. A decent gun belt is key to that depending on what you are carrying. If you are using a typical dept store leather belt, most any firearm that fits the holster will be heavy enough to sag away from your body some unless you really crank that belt down tightly.

Actually I am at this moment wearing a Sig P228 loaded 13+1 (mentioned for weight/balance only) in such a holster with the paddle attachment installed under a light weight and color, square bottom "tropical" type moderately loose shirt, using a 5.11 leather belt tightened to a normal/non-gun comfortable point. Another CC guy might notice the slight printing if I move certain ways if he was really paying attention, but the average person wouldn't notice it.

With a sports coat, light weight jacket/wind breaker, or even when I wear a sports jersey, as long as it is somewhat loose fitting and long enough, it covers it fine.

eyesopened

imported post

I only use it with the paddle attachment and I would NOT try to conceal it on my frame. The paddle sticks out too far, but maybe the belt attachment works better. I bought it primarily for OC since it has the retention. For my CC rig, there is only level 1 retention.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
So Basically it's not any more concealable than the Bianchi Paddle I already have.

Thanks.
Probably not and probably not significantly if at all.

Might have gotten your answer more quickly and more specifically if you would have originally asked if the SERPA CQC holsters are more concealable than your Bianchi paddle. Someone here may have both holsters and have been able to answer your question very specifically. ;)

wqbang

imported post

IMHO the serpa is a poor "concealment" holster. It conceals in winter with a jacket. Otherwise it is mostly a no go- you piece prints bigtime. Comp-tac and G-code make much more concealable paddle holsters, although they don't have active retention. I love my G-code holster. I have the paddle and belt attachments. It still is not as concealable as a pancake.

Actually, G-code is now making retention holsters:

http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/GCODEMARK6/GCODE_Mark_VI_Tactical_Holster.html

Comp-tac holsters
http://www.gunnersalley.com/category/brandswecarry.comptacholsters/

None of these is a concealable as a quality pancake style holster made by just about every holstermaker.

My favorites are:

High Noon
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/
Don Hume (affordable)
http://www.gunnersalley.com/category/brandswecarry.donhumeleather/
El Paso Saddlery
http://www.epsaddlery.com/

As for Belt scabards/askins style hostlers I go for:
RafterS
http://www.raftersgunleather.com/

swillden

imported post

wqbang wrote:
IMHO the serpa is a poor "concealment" holster. It conceals in winter with a jacket. Otherwise it is mostly a no go- you piece prints bigtime.
I think that depends a lot on what degree of concealment you need.

Those of us that OC regularly are well aware that short of putting a big flashing neon sign over our heads saying "Gun HERE!", the majority of people will never notice even an unconcealed weapon. People just aren't that aware.

Even when I'm concealing, I regularly just untuck my shirt and let it hang over my Serpa. I'm not just printing -- the bottom of the holster normally sticks out below my shirt! And yet I'm hardly ever "made". With a longer shirt or jacket, I've never been made, that I know of, even though it prints pretty badly.

I agree that if you're really concerned about concealment, then you may need to go with an OWB holster that holds the gun tighter to your body, or even and IWB, or maybe even real deep concealment, like a SmartCarry.

Concealment is a continuum, not a boolean value. What holster you should use depends on where along that continuum you need to be.

Mike M.

imported post

My SERPA holster conceals fine. Doesnt matter if I am carrying my GLOCK 17 or S&W M&P .45, i just wear a bit of a longer shirt(Untucked) or for those cool nights I wear a Sweatshirt, and no one is the wiser.

Dahwg

imported post

swillden wrote:
wqbang wrote:
IMHO the serpa is a poor "concealment" holster. It conceals in winter with a jacket. Otherwise it is mostly a no go- you piece prints bigtime.
I think that depends a lot on what degree of concealment you need.

Those of us that OC regularly are well aware that short of putting a big flashing neon sign over our heads saying "Gun HERE!", the majority of people will never notice even an unconcealed weapon. People just aren't that aware.

Even when I'm concealing, I regularly just untuck my shirt and let it hang over my Serpa. I'm not just printing -- the bottom of the holster normally sticks out below my shirt! And yet I'm hardly ever "made". With a longer shirt or jacket, I've never been made, that I know of, even though it prints pretty badly.

I agree that if you're really concerned about concealment, then you may need to go with an OWB holster that holds the gun tighter to your body, or even and IWB, or maybe even real deep concealment, like a SmartCarry.

Concealment is a continuum, not a boolean value. What holster you should use depends on where along that continuum you need to be.
EXACTLY! Since Imostly OC, the concealment part isn't a big issue, and since most people don't even notice a gun that's OCd Chances are a gun that is only lightly CCd will go un-noticed as well.