• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recent Policy by Tidewater Community College

C45P312

imported post

So, I was just at the Chesapeake Campus inquiring about classes that would transfer to ODU. At the time, I disarmed my pistol into my glovebox and locked it before I headed inside.

I got the information I needed, and before I headed back to my vehicle, I inquired about one last thing with Campus Security, and that was the TCC Firearms Policy. They didn't seem friendly, nor did they like my question. They asked me if I had a gun on my person at the time which is answered No to. After the short bickering back and forth about gun laws and policys regard colleges, their answer was along the lines of

"What ever is State/Federal policy is TCC policy"

After searching TCC.edu, it was hard press trying to finding something regarding the firearms policy. I didn't want to show up to the first day of class, concealed carrying, then have some ruckas over something the Security Guard on duty said (WhichI did record our conversation via cell phone) that turned out to be wrong.

I had the Dean of Chesapeake TCC give me a call and she for informed me of the new policy regarding weapons @ TCC which I've attached for your viewing pleasure. Nonetheless, the Security Guards were wrong, they were notified of the new policy (though it wasn't blatant in the TCC Handbook becuase it was just approved ), and I could have gotten suspended or even expelled for my actions.

After talking to the Dean expressing my concerns of safety, she did say that the Chesapeake Campus Security working there now, was not getting thier contract renewed and that could have been the reason why they had such a bitter attitude. No wonder they didn't seem pleasant.

-Carlo

Attachments

• Policy - Weapons - Approved.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 314

Neplusultra

imported post

From the policy:

"Any such individual who is reported or discovered to possess a firearm or weapon in
violation of this policy will be asked to remove it immediately. Failure to comply may
result in the imposition of appropriate employee or student sanctions, including
disciplinary action, and/or arrest."

Sounds to me that you can carry, that they'll just ask you to remove it immediately. The policy says "failure to comply" with removal would result in "disciplinary action", whatever that is but it doesn't sound like they're saying they would expel you. They CANNOT arrest you since it's not a private college and it's not against state law to carry. This policy barely has any teeth at all.

I'd say go ahead and CC. If they try to expel you you have grounds to sue as long as you complied immediately.

Does anyone read this policy differently???

vbnative73

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
From the policy:

"Any such individual who is reported or discovered to possess a firearm or weapon in
violation of this policy will be asked to remove it immediately. Failure to comply may
result in the imposition of appropriate employee or student sanctions, including

Sounds to me that you can carry, that they'll just ask you to remove it immediately. The policy says "failure to comply" with removal would result in "disciplinary action", whatever that is but it doesn't sound like they're saying they would expel you. They CANNOT arrest you since it's not a private college and it's not against state law to carry. This policy barely has any teeth at all.

I'd say go ahead and CC. If they try to expel you you have grounds to sue as long as you complied immediately.

Sounds like an accurate interpretation. You have it from the horses mouth that all they can do is ask you to remove the weapon from school grounds. As long as you comply, if asked, you are in no trouble. Go ahead and CC. If it's concealled well, nobody should notice.

bayboy42

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
From the policy:

If they ask you to remove it immediately and you refuse, couldn't you be cited for Trespassing similar to anywhere else that weapons are "prohibited"?

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
From the policy:

If they ask you to remove it immediately and you refuse, couldn't you be cited for Trespassing similar to anywhere else that weapons are "prohibited"?
I don't think so. It's public property. If you're a student/staff, they can take administrative action...

Neplusultra

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
From the policy:

I don't think so. It's public property. If you're a student/staff, they can take administrative action...
I agree with a caveat that the state AG says his opinion is that classroom buildings and dorms are off limits. Not sure if that would hold up in a trial but you might end up with a trial :^). But that would only apply to a school that has an outright ban. This policy is worded such that it really isn't a ban so to speak. They'll just ask you to remove the gun and if you don't you could get disciplinary action taken against you.

bayboy42

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
From the policy:

I disagree....its not public property.

What makes this different then any other location that "prohibits" firearms?

LEO299....where ya at?

Neplusultra

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
From the policy:

LEO299....where ya at?
It's "private" property? Your taxes pay for it, is this not true?

LEO 229

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
From the policy:

LEO299....where ya at?
So we have students and citizens that could be there. The students can be kicked out but what can you do to citizens???

I guessafter the first discovery.... the staff can tell you in person to never return with a gun or you would be charged with trespassing. This is how they can nail the citizens.

Then when they catch you again they have their arrest. They even use the word "arrest" in theirformand that is the only thing I can think of.

C45P312

imported post

Darn, alright. I need to practice more concealable options for my sidearm. I guess I'll looking into a VMII. I've never had a IWB holster before. I've always had a OWB, with a shirt over it. People barely notice, maybe cause I'm a big guy (200lbs @ 5'6"). Even when it prints a little, no one has said anything. I'm brought my handgun everywhere legally possible. I'm also not the type to put it in the car when eating @ ABC licensed establishments.

So much for wearing my boardshots, t-shirt, and flipflopswith a fullsize kimber to TCC. I'll see if I could pick up a compact kimber today.

-Carlo

p.s. Again, thanks for all the input.

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
So we have students and citizens that could be there. The students can be kicked out but what can you do to citizens???

I guessafter the first discovery.... the staff can tell you in person to never return with a gun or you would be charged with trespassing. This is how they can nail the citizens.

Then when they catch you again they have their arrest. They even use the word "arrest" in theirformand that is the only thing I can think of.
How could they tell the citizen not to come back with a gun if the college is public? Aren't all CCs publicly funded and chartered by state or local government?

LEO 229

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

How could they tell the citizen not to come back with a gun if the college is public? Aren't all CCs publicly funded and chartered by state or local government?
Sticky legal question.... I will reserve that one for the attorney we have on board.

I know that the public schoolscan ban students from returning without making an appointment first.

So it would seem that you can be banned from a public location for a period of time.