• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the Lynchburg Area?

GoldDot

imported post

Also in Lynchburg. I have CHP and carry concealed but I have often thought about OC but have not done it.

Perhaps if there are enough of us in Lynchburg/Bedford/Forest/Amherst/Rustburg/Appomattox area we could meet up some time to discuss our experiences.

lima

imported post

GoldDot wrote:
Also in Lynchburg. I have CHP and carry concealed but I have often thought about OC but have not done it.

Perhaps if there are enough of us in Lynchburg/Bedford/Forest/Amherst/Rustburg/Appomattox area we could meet up some time to discuss our experiences.
In addition to myself there is a good friend of mine who OC's on occasion. Most of the time it's concealed but every now and then he'll open carry.

Before we got our permits down here my husband still wanted to carry but had to OC and so our friend OC'd with him so he didn't feel so weird about it as it was his first time.

He kept saying, "Dude, it's Lynchburg. No one cares."

But when you are strickly a CCer it can be a little intimidating.

luxin

imported post

I'm also in Lynchburg and CC most all of the time, but would love to meet up and get to know others around here.

Harper1227

imported post

lima wrote:
First, I'm a woman, licenced to carry concealed for a little over two years now (since I turned 21) and an NRA certified instructor... oh... and pregnant.

Hi Lima. First, congrats on the pregnancy. I am also female and will be 5 months pregnant this Monday. I couldn't agree with you more. It can be very difficult to conceal. BUT, I have always had trouble bc I am super hippy and have a hard time concealing unless I am wearing a jacket or sweater, etc. I have OC'd most of the time and I have not found it to be too bothersome.

I think sometimes being a woman, especially pregnant will draw more attention than the guys but that shouldn't bother anyone. My husband and I OC at Walmart all the time and have had no problems. Also, I am a big fan of Babies R us and havent had any problems OCing there either. I'm with you, any place that doesnt allow me to defend myself and my baby isn't worth my business.

I wouldn't worry too much. There are many places you can shop that won't even raise an eyebrow. If you're close to Lorton, we can get together and have an OCouting of baby shopping!! I'm sure that would be interesting.

Good luck, and please post if you run into any trouble OCing.

lima

imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
lima wrote:
First, I'm a woman, licenced to carry concealed for a little over two years now (since I turned 21) and an NRA certified instructor... oh... and pregnant.

Hi Lima. First, congrats on the pregnancy. I am also female and will be 5 months pregnant this Monday. I couldn't agree with you more. It can be very difficult to conceal. BUT, I have always had trouble bc I am super hippy and have a hard time concealing unless I am wearing a jacket or sweater, etc. I have OC'd most of the time and I have not found it to be too bothersome.

I think sometimes being a woman, especially pregnant will draw more attention than the guys but that shouldn't bother anyone. My husband and I OC at Walmart all the time and have had no problems. Also, I am a big fan of Babies R us and havent had any problems OCing there either. I'm with you, any place that doesnt allow me to defend myself and my baby isn't worth my business.

I wouldn't worry too much. There are many places you can shop that won't even raise an eyebrow. If you're close to Lorton, we can get together and have an OCouting of baby shopping!! I'm sure that would be interesting.

YOU HAVE A BABIES R US?!?!?!?!?! I am SO THERE!

LOL. There was one up in PA where we used to live and I loved it and I'm so sad there isn't one down here because there aren't a lot of places I have found to shop for my little one around here.

Okay, where is Lorton, I might have you take you up on this offer!

Harper1227

imported post

lima wrote:
Harper1227 wrote:
lima wrote:

LOL. There was one up in PA where we used to live and I loved it and I'm so sad there isn't one down here because there aren't a lot of places I have found to shop for my little one around here.

YOU"RE KIDDING!! you DONT have a babies r us??? i thought they were everywhere. I couldnt live without mine! That sucks cause from Lynchburg Lorton's about 3 hours!! Man this state is big. There is one in richmond and one in Midlothian but they're still aways away from you. Sorry! here's a link to the store locator feature you can check out the locations near you. Good luck, and if you ever make it up to NoVA let me know.

http://www9.toysrus.com/store/index.cfm?bru=1&sa_referral=

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ROFLMAO -- get a few women together on the forum and suddenly the thread takes a hard turn to babies and shopping. :lol: Cracked me up for some reason.

Seriously though, I am very excited to have so many women starting to frequent the forum. IMO women, moreso than men, should be screaming for their 2A rights. Two knowledgable ladies such as yourselves, pregnant and carrying into ragruts r us, prepared to defend themselves and their offspring, will hopefully draw the attention of many other young women and give them pause not as to why you are carrying a gun, but why they are not.

lima

imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
lima wrote:
Harper1227 wrote:
lima wrote:

YOU"RE KIDDING!! you DONT have a babies r us??? i thought they were everywhere. I couldnt live without mine! That sucks cause from Lynchburg Lorton's about 3 hours!! Man this state is big. There is one in richmond and one in Midlothian but they're still aways away from you. Sorry! here's a link to the store locator feature you can check out the locations near you. Good luck, and if you ever make it up to NoVA let me know.

I know.. I looked Lorton up after I made my last post and thought, "DARN!"

It would be fun to go shopping with another carrier. How fun to talk babies and guns!

Thanks for the link. Hopefully I get to shop at one at least one more time before this little one pops out.

I OCed to and from work today (I can carry to work but I have to disarm once I get there) and then to Subway before heading home and no one seemed to notice much less care. It certainly takes a little getting used to, that's for sure. It is kind of like going out with your underwear on the outside or something.

And yes, if I ever make it up to NoVA again (I was up there in November for my NRA Instructor course) I'll have to stop by for a little shopping trip.

Harper1227

imported post

lima wrote:

It would be fun to go shopping with another carrier. How fun to talk babies and guns!

Thanks for the link. Hopefully I get to shop at one at least one more time before this little one pops out.

I OCed to and from work today (I can carry to work but I have to disarm once I get there) and then to Subway before heading home and no one seemed to notice much less care. It certainly takes a little getting used to, that's for sure. It is kind of like going out with your underwear on the outside or something.

I waited to carry until i got my CCP, i always thought it was a bit ostentatious that my husband OC'd and I was uncomfortable with the looks we got. But once I got my CCP i realized I was much more comfortable OCing and have rarely carried otherwise. I have also learned that i don't give a flying frick what people think or what kind of looks I get, but it does take getting used to. I have actually learned to love it. people see me out with my 2.5 year old daughter in pig tails and i think they dont know what to think. i get looks from other mothers like "What the... is she carrying a gun?" i like to look back with equal disdain like "wow! she's NOT carrying a gun" :lol:

ps with the risk of being too girlie for the hard core guys on this site... :lol:do you know what your having? we find out on the 30th.

lima

imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
lima wrote:

I waited to carry until i got my CCP, i always thought it was a bit ostentatious that my husband OC'd and I was uncomfortable with the looks we got. But once I got my CCP i realized I was much more comfortable OCing and have rarely carried otherwise. I have also learned that i don't give a flying frick what people think or what kind of looks I get, but it does take getting used to. I have actually learned to love it. people see me out with my 2.5 year old daughter in pig tails and i think they dont know what to think. i get looks from other mothers like "What the... is she carrying a gun?" i like to look back with equal disdain like "wow! she's NOT carrying a gun" :lol:

ps with the risk of being too girlie for the hard core guys on this site... :lol:do you know what your having? we find out on the 30th.
Not yet. We don't find out until early July but we are so excited to find out!! We both want a girl.

Any opinions for you?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
SNIP... people see me out with my 2.5 year old daughter in pig tails and i think they dont know what to think. i get looks from other mothers like "What the... is she carrying a gun?" i like to look back with equal disdain like "wow! she's NOT carrying a gun" :lol:
+1 Now if every state could get about 100,000 women with your and Lima's perspectives walking around armed we would be on the verge of a revolution of thought and politics.

Harper1227

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Harper1227 wrote:
SNIP... people see me out with my 2.5 year old daughter in pig tails and i think they dont know what to think. i get looks from other mothers like "What the... is she carrying a gun?" i like to look back with equal disdain like "wow! she's NOT carrying a gun" :lol:
+1 Now if every state could get about 100,000 women with your and Lima's perspectives walking around armed we would be on the verge of a revolution of thought and politics.
that might be bad for business though, you know how controlling us womenfolk are :cuss:, we might take over. you guys would be home doin dishes. HAHAHA!! I say stuff like that to my husband all the time and he's like "my job is home defense, if we ever get robbed or I fail to protect us, that'll be the day i hand over my gun and put on an apron." I don't see it happening :lol:

Harper1227

imported post

lima wrote:
Not yet. We don't find out until early July but we are so excited to find out!! We both want a girl.

Any opinions for you?

Well, we have a girl now and we really want a boy. my dad passed away last month so we really want to name our son after him, William. But! my husband keeps saying he would miss Maggie (we already have names picked for either) if we had a boy. I think he's planning on convincing me to have three. :uhoh:. We find out on the 30th!!!

PM me and we can chat more. i don't think the guys really want to hear about our baby dreamsin the midst of the gun forum.:D

zoom6zoom

imported post

I had to make a business swing through SW VA this week so did some out of my neighborhood OC'ing. I was at work most of the time (no carry) but OC'd at the Quality Inn (nice place, good breakfast bar, comfy beds). On the way out of town I stopped in at Ace Hardware & Guns where I happened to meet the original poster in this thread, lima , and had a nice conversation. Pretty nice shop, I haven't been there in a while. Worth a stop if you're passing through. Got a smokin' deal on a gently used Mossberg 500 (can always use another one!); checking my records this evening I find that the last purchase I made from them was in Feb. '85... way too long!

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
I had to make a business swing through SW VA this week so did some out of my neighborhood OC'ing. I was at work most of the time (no carry) but OC'd at the Quality Inn (nice place, good breakfast bar, comfy beds). On the way out of town I stopped in at Ace Hardware & Guns where I happened to meet the original poster in this thread, lima , and had a nice conversation. Pretty nice shop, I haven't been there in a while. Worth a stop if you're passing through. Got a smokin' deal on a gently used Mossberg 500 (can always use another one!); checking my records this evening I find that the last purchase I made from them was in Feb. '85... way too long!
I go to that ACE all the time. Have to say though since I've gotten more interested in guns I haven't found their prices to be too good on most things. I haven't tried to deal with them yet though. I have my eye on a Romainan AK they have, but they want $550 for it when most places it's $400 or less.

BTW: Lima, are you the woman who works at ACE?

I think it's time to schedule a Lynchburg meetup.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Over the Memorial Day weekend,

OC'd at the Cattleman restaurant on Timberlake Rd.Uneventful.

OC'd at the Timberlake Rd. 7-Eleven. No comments. Staff were friendly.

OC'd at the Timberlake Rd. Food Lion. Uneventful.

lima

imported post

asforme wrote:
BTW: Lima, are you the woman who works at ACE?

I think it's time to schedule a Lynchburg meetup.
I guess the cat's out of the bag...lol.

Yeah, I'm the gal who works at Ace.

It was great to talk to zoom6zoom as well. BTW, I like your cards that you have printed out. They aren't as cheap and cheesy as you see some other info cards out there. They look very professional and nice. Good job on those.

I wouldn't mind a Lynchburg meetup. It would be nice to get to know more people from the area.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is my first post although I've been reading this board fora few months now. Since this thread popped up again I figured I'd go ahead and register and say hello to my fellow Lynchburg OCers. I haven't seen too many folk OCing here, usually I'm the only one in any store or restaurant, but I have seen a few and it certainly is comforting to know I have fellows in arms.

I'd be more than glad to participate in a local OC dinner and fortunately there are plenty of places around where I eat regularly, which would have no problem hosting.

If you see a mid-height, heavy set, white guy with shaved head carrying a Ruger P95 or a little Kahr, come up and say hi! I'd like to get to know you. :)

zoom6zoom

imported post

Didn't mean to "out" ya, lima, which is why I didn't mention that you were on the other side of the counter!

So now I can ask... is this a different job than when you posted earlier that you couldn't carry at work?

Also I have to admit that I didn't have those cards printed, they came courtesy of skidmark. I'm not sure where he had them printed, might be vistaprint.com. I have found them to be helpful though and will be getting a supply of my own. They have been handy in educating people and in your case revealed another forum member to me!