• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling through.....

usmcdragonfly

imported post

I'm leaving to go to California later this month, being a young woman on a long road trip (possibly by myself) I want to be able to protect myself. This states laws confuse me and I would be very thankful for any help. What kind of laws surround being a travelerwith a gun in this state> I am 21 years old, so in KY legal to have a hand gun without c.c.

denwego

imported post

OK's laws concerning transporting a handgun in a car without a CHP are the same as other guns. It specifically says in section 21-1289.13 of the law code that you can't have any loaded firearm in a vehicle, unless it's a handgun and you have a CHP, or if it's a rifle or shotgun, the chamber's empty, and it's in the trunk. So if you were desperate to have a shotgun ready to pump in the trunk, you could, but anything in the passenger compartment has to be totally empty.

However, it's not completely hopeless. 21-1289.7 allows you to carry any pistol, rifle, or shotgun anywhere in a car, if it's openly visible and completely unloaded. "Completely unloaded" means "clip unloaded" as well; it's unclear if that means you can have a loaded magazine separate from the gun itself, as I could find not governing court cases setting a precedent, but I'd bet that you'd have to explain yourself if a bad minded cop felt like hassling you.

Oklahoma will probably be the worst leg of your trip for protecting yourself in your car, alas, but enjoy the country in any case!