• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cool thread from Ohio

just_a_car

imported post

Here's the fixed link: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/9483.html

I like the idea, but this treads that very thin, grey line of "organize an armed body of men" in the state constitution. Calling it an open-carry walk makes it pretty obvious that those on the walk are expected to OC.

Maybe just do a Pro-Second-Amendment Walk and anyone that decides to carry, whether OC or CC is welcome....

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:

I like the idea, but this treads that very thin, grey line of "organize an armed body of men" in the state constitution. Calling it an open-carry walk makes it pretty obvious that those on the walk are expected to OC.

Maybe just do a Pro-Second-Amendment Walk and anyone that decides to carry, whether OC or CC is welcome....
Just like lunchs, show up but OC is not tequired.

CC27

imported post

That's funny I was jokingly telling my wife it would be cool if OCDO hada float in the Daffodil Parade. Now I think that would be a good idea for next year. Instead of handing out flowers and candy we could hand out pamphlets. With the amount of enthusiasm I don't see a problem getting volunteers. Just a thought, I have no idea how to put this into motion.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I thought the "organize an armed body of men" had to do with creating an organized fighing unit with a chain of command, tactics, etc. As opposed to eating lunch. Unless you have us eat in cadence: bite, chew, swallow, wipe,bite, chew, swallow, wipe...
launch.png

TechnoWeenie

imported post

just_a_car wrote:

While it doesn't PROTECT 'an organized, armed, body of men', where in the law is that PROHIBITED?

joeroket

imported post

I could see something like that in Wa. being in violation of RCW 38.40.120, of course it is just my opinion and I could be way off. Hell hopefully I am way off.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

joeroket wrote:
I could see something like that in Wa. being in violation of RCW 38.40.120, of course it is just my opinion and I could be way off. Hell hopefully I am way off.
Since its a small one, easier to post than to look up.

RCW 38.40.120Authorized military organizations.
No organized body other than the recognized militia organizations of this state, armed forces of the United States, students of educational institutions where military science is a prescribed part of the course of instruction or bona fide veterans organizations shall associate themselves together as a military company or organize or parade in public with firearms: PROVIDED, That nothing herein shall be construed to prevent authorized parades by the organized militia of another state or armed forces of foreign countries. Any person participating in any such unauthorized organization shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
[1989 c 19 § 53; 1943 c 130 § 54; Rem. Supp. 1943 § 8603-54. Prior: 1909 c 249 § 294; 1903 c 135 § 1.]

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
sorry M1. I didn't look it up, I just posted the code number. I'll remember to post link or test in the future.
So the simple solution is to OC with unloaded firearms and hand out the literature. The public will not know the difference.

uncoolperson

imported post

I brought this up once before... i think...

If armed body of men was meant to include any group of people that just so happen to be armed, then what about the world war 2, civil war, (i think we even have some vietnam), re-enactors in this state?

joeroket

imported post

thebastidge wrote:
I don't think it would actually work, but you could argue that all able-bodiedcitizens capable of bearing arms constitute the militia of the United States and therefore MUST be recognized as an authorized military body.
The State constitution simply states that able bodied males between 18 and 45 shall be liable for military duty. I remember reading on here a post that mentioned able bodied males being part of the unorganized militia.

just_a_car

imported post

thebastidge wrote:
I don't think it would actually work, but you could argue that all able-bodiedcitizens capable of bearing arms constitute the militia of the United States and therefore MUST be recognized as an authorized military body.
Wouldn't work, as all able-bodied males 17-45 of citizenship are considered part of the "unorganized militia" if not part of the "organized militia" which is the national guard, while the RCW specifically states "militia organizations of the state."

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
thebastidge wrote:
Wouldn't work, as all able-bodied males 17-45 of citizenship are considered part of the "unorganized militia" if not part of the "organized militia" which is the national guard, while the RCW specifically states "militia organizations of the state."
In actuality the National Guard did not exist until 1908 so these Constitutional references do not refer to the Guard at all. Depending on when the RCW was written or amended, in may or may not.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

I was one of the guys that organized the walk.

Here's more info, plus pics:

http://patriotsdaywalk.blogspot.com/

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about laws that supposedly prohibit "organized armed body of men." Are we fearful of the government? Are we slaves to the government? If so, we might as well hang it up now, since it means we've already lost.

Sometimes we have to say "screw it" and stick up for our God-given rights.