• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Warrants alarm?

Nitrox314

imported post

I hear all the time about LEO confrontations and the usage of the words "Warrants Alarm". This is the key that the LEO's are using to justify their tarry stops. Here it is again for all of us:

[align=left]Unlawful carrying (RCW 9.41.270 ) occurs when the[/align]
[align=left]person carries or displays a weapon in a manner, under[/align]
[align=left]circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests[/align]
[align=left]an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the[/align]
[align=left]safety of other persons [/align]
So what does "Warrant" mean? Just so we are all clear here it is in the following excerpt from dictionary.com (I bolded the important parts):

war·rant(wôr'ənt, wŏr'-)

1. Authorization or certification; sanction, as given by a superior.
  2. Justification for an action or a belief; grounds: "He almost gives his failings as a warrant for his greatness"[/i] (Garry Wills).[/i]
  3. Something that provides assurance or confirmation; a guarantee or proof: a warrant of authenticity; a warrant for success.[/i]
  4. An order that serves as authorization, especially:
    1. A voucher authorizing payment or receipt of money.
    2. Law[/i] A judicial writ authorizing an officer to make a search, seizure, or arrest or to execute a judgment.
    3. A warrant officer.
    4. A certificate of appointment given to a warrant officer.
    1. A warrant officer.
    2. A certificate of appointment given to a warrant officer.
tr.v. war·rant·ed[/b], war·rant·ing[/b], war·rants[/b]
  1. To guarantee or attest to the quality, accuracy, or condition of.
  2. To guarantee or attest to the character or reliability of; vouch for.
    1. To guarantee (a product).
    2. To guarantee (a purchaser) indemnification against damage or loss.
  3. To guarantee the immunity or security of.
  4. To provide adequate grounds for; justify. See Synonyms at justify.
  5. To grant authorization or sanction to (someone); authorize or empower.
  6. Law[/i] To guarantee clear title to (real property).
So essentially, warrant means that it must be justified. Following law does not need justification. Throw that in their pipe to smoke.

WaR_PyRo

imported post

So can it just read:

[align=left]Unlawful carrying (RCW 9.41.270 ) occurs when the[/align]
[align=left]person carries or displays a weapon in a manner, under[/align]
[align=left]circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests[/align]
[align=left]an intent to intimidate another or that "guarantee" alarm for the[/align]
[align=left]safety of other persons [/align]

Bear 45/70

imported post

lilothedog wrote:
Why can't it just say, "it's legal until you put your hand on the grip or pull it out of your holster"!!! Damn legal mumbo jumbo!!
That law was written back when the Black Panthers and othe militant groups were operating. So it was written vague to make it easier to drop on the militants. However the State Supreme Court has clarified it to some extent and OC does not qualify.

lilothedog

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
lilothedog wrote:
Why can't it just say, "it's legal until you put your hand on the grip or pull it out of your holster"!!! Damn legal mumbo jumbo!!
That law was written back when the Black Panthers and othe militant groups were operating. So it was written vague to make it easier to drop on the militants. However the State Supreme Court has clarified it to some extent and OC does not qualify.
Well thank God for UPDATES!