• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

JFK Airport

irish_ironsight

Formerly of Ireland, now Martinsburg, WV, West Vir
imported post

Hey folk's,

What can i say, this might be interesting

Im coming to the USA this Friday for a little work related activity and for some vacation time afterward's and I’m bringing my sidearm.

Anyway first off, Im a corrections officer from Ireland & Im travelling to the US to attend the OLETC mock riots and some of the seminars, (a law enforcement thing in WV)

I have received permission from the ATF, "Form 6" for the temporary importation of a firearm and it has a permit number on it.

I have to fly into JFK, and clear customs before making my connection flight, from what I understand it’s real easy to fly into JFK with a firearm in your check bag, but getting back out of JFK is supposed to be a lot more difficult.

So if anyone knows the procedure for transiting through JFK and checking in for my next flight, without getting arrested, I’d love to hear from you.

I have tried to get a straight answer from the JFK Airport authority, the Port Authority Police and U.S Custom's, and a few other organisations, and none, NONE of them seem to know, all they can tell me is handguns are prohibited without a state permit.

So if anyone knows what the facts are or knows where I can actually get an honest answer I'd love to know....

Thank's

[font="Verdana, Arial,stencil"]US Code Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44, Section 926A states, and I quote the act

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console"
---------------------------------------------------

[/font][font="Verdana, Arial,stencil"]State of New York penal law,
Chapter 40 of the consolidated laws
Article 400, paragraph 6, allows for a journey (including the airports) from a licensed place of lawful possession to a place where possession is not prohibited by federal law provided that journey is not interrupted.
[/font]

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

I hate to say "ask the ATF," but that's what I'd do. Call them, explain and see if they know what the process is.

One thing to keep in mind however.
The ATF is notorious for changing their mind and/or telling you something when they really have no clue at all. I suggested calling as they might have dealt with this before regarding a form 6 since a lot of international flights come into JFK. I'd also ask to speak with a supervisor or agent assigned near JFK and get it in writing.

I know that wasn't too much of a help, but let us know how things go!

irish_ironsight

imported post

Howdy folks

Well the trip was a blast, all the paperwork was lined up,

I went to US Customs and got the all clear from them,
Then I was visited by PAPD, and they gave me the all clear to check my weapon.
The TSA checked my bag as well, and said all was fine....

Then some S.O.B broke into my case and stole the guncase and weapon !

sprat

imported post

sorry I missed your starting thread, you went to NYC and your gun was stolen, well thats what you get for going to NYC rough place. I would have expected the PAPD to take care of you, the average american gets arrested. on another noteI have several Garda friends that work in shannon. they come over quitea bit as guest of the AOH for parades and the like's

I also believe I am the only member on this site who has a Irish FAC, I do a fair bit of trap and clays, ducks and deer on the shannon and in the midlands, sometimes up north. other than losing your weapon hope you enjoyed your holiday

sla`n

sprat

sprat

imported post

well lad

most folks do not beleive me when I tell them I belong to a hunting and fishing club in Eire. most americans I run into do the pub tour, bus tour or golf tour, ( BORING) they crack me up how obnoxious they are. I avoid them

I renew every year my land lord/friend has a trap and skeet field at the house. then the pub for a few smithwicks I am not the typical tourist. I purposely schedule my trip's home for pheasant season (Nov 1) my good friend is a ducking guide on the shannon so we combine both. I borrow a rifle for stag, my bag go's to a poor family. I am also the only american who is a member of the national assoc of regional game council. I know several garda in the midlands area i even hunt with a retired sergent.t year we did some shark fishing in sligo bay out of Killybegs

but my pennsylvania permit to carry has the same amount of info but is much smaller. That big green permit is interesting I get a new one every year. I may have to pass this year as I just bought a new home here

sla`n agus bannacht

DT4E31

imported post

Sorry to hear that your gun was stolen. What was it? personal or dept issue, how much was it worth and will you be able to replace it?:shock:

irish_ironsight

imported post

This was my personal weapon, as to cost, well here in Ireland Glocks cost a little more than in the USA.

A new Glock 19 here will run you € 650.00 that's almost $1000.00

Strangely enough the Airline find this hard to believe so I have had then contact a number of dealers directly to confirm this.

As to replcing it, well I will probably have to go to court, as the police think that I can now no longer be trusted with a firearm because as far as they are concerned I lost a gun.

mvpel

imported post

JFK is staffed with some of the most surly, arrogant, pompous jerks I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was an inside job.

GlockLover

NYC (but only for another 1 1/2 year), New York, U
imported post

irish_ironsight wrote:
As to replcing it, well I will probably have to go to court, as the police think that I can now no longer be trusted with a firearm because as far as they are concerned I lost a gun.
LOL,

The court cant be serious, you followed the rules of the FAA, TSA, and local pd and YOUR the one who lost the gun. Now that is funny, the court must be full of :celebratefor judges